Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your favorite one-hit wonder?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't post links at work, but..... While cleaning out after Hurricaine Sandy, I found these on a mix tape

The A's - A womans got the power

Tom Tom Club - genius of love

Alison Moyet - Invisible

The Marmalade - Reflections of my life

T'Pau - Heart and soul

someday someway Marshall Crenshaw

+1 on Marshall Crenshaw...'Favorite Waste of Time' was the US single B side to 'Someday Someway', and is still a favorite of mine...back when I was stationed in the UK in '86, Owen Paul came out with a cover version that made it to #3 in the UK...but apparently not much else, which I guess makes that release a 'one hit wonder'. I much prefer Crenshaw's version. It's actually a demo he did, everything on it is just him, at the end you can hear snippets (he was frugal with recording tape and reused it, I suppose) including a vocal lead in for 'Girls Girls Girls':

Love this thread, lot of my favourites have been mentioned already but I can't believe this hasn't..

They may have had other U.S, hits but this was the only one I can remember in the U.K.

Got to be 4 non blondes' "What's Up!"

Everybody loves that song but nobody seems to know any other song from them. Talk about being one (huge) hit wonder!

Surprisingly (to me at least), I really like that whole album. There are actually maybe three other songs I'd have selected over What's Up? to be the single.

OK, then I'll go with "In a Gada Da Vida", from Iron Butterfly. Not sure however if that's a hit, but I love it as a proto-doom or proto-stoner song anyway:
I HAVE to go with this!!

Back in the 80s my band wanted to do a spot on cover of the song...that was an entire side of an LP. We had realized that, despite Iron Butterfly being from CA, the song had been recorded near us in Hempstead, Long Island...so we wanted to record it in the same studio. But when we tried to book the same studio, it turned out to have gone out of business not long before. Oh well. Was a cool idea.

But...this is the MEGA One Hit Wonder because it was also the first LP to ever receive the RIAA Platinum Certification for sales!!

IMO, it benefitted largely for coming out at the onset of American FM radio! when DJs were looking for cool underground rock to fill airtime. Plus, it also captured the psychedelic music vibe well. Just one of those "right place, right time" things.

Talk about bad luck, no? The first Platinum LP...and you end up a one hit wonder.

The song BTW.....was the band's studio soundcheck and the engineer just happened to have run tape while they played it. It was a one take deal !! Total fluke.

COOL THREAD....although a number of the entries are definitely not "One Hit" Wonders and had multiple hits.....like Mott the Hoople, Midnight oil, Marshall Crenshaw and the Raspberries.

The first song that popped into my mind was Nena "99 Luftballoons"

Although I prefer 7 Seconds' rendition

Also a great cover of 99 Balloons by Goldfinger...with longtime Hamer bass endorser Kelly LeMieux!

That song has legs and will go into the history of rock music... first time I ever saw a Dan Armstrong plexiglass guitar and bass!

I'm going down and getting funky for a while...

Lakeside had a smaller success with the single "All the Way Live" but this was their only actual hit

This is probably my favorite all time funk song... if you haven't heard it, check it out (should have put this in the vibraslap thread).

Always fascinated me to see someone find the magic for a single hit and never quite get there again.

That song is sooo f***in' badass! Goes right with the Donnie Iris and Children of the Sun!

This song bridges the gap between funk and rock... a sick as hell groovetastic one hit wonder

Archived