Hamer Fan Club Message Center

YES................(Ryman 7/28)

Judy bought tix back in March.

She is a Yes fan, Me, not so much.

I do like some stuff and appreciate, respect what they do.

John Anderson not avail, the rest of the gerital cotton topper original band all there.

My fast review~

Ryman downtown. Awesome venue. Sound was okay. Packed and sold out.

The replacement singer, Jon Davison, He was okay, good. Generic skill doing JA vocal skills.

Chris Squire~ Basszilla. white and blonde Ric's rotated, Big Green popped in and out.

Such a finger dancer, so loose, flow. And He gets So fookin low tones. OMG.

Steve Howe~ I was expecting... meh... I was caught off guard. Mad respect for the guy.

He pulled it off, and had fun. I was quite relieved. Spot on. He tried so hard on Lonely Heart...

He is who he is, and the old guy did exceptionally well. Line 6 all the way.

Alan white~ tight and loose on the sticks/ trap set. Precise. Super glue.

Geoff Downes~ more keyboards than I have seen on stage in a long time.

every Yes tone, note, etc. was there and present.

I expected surrogate players in the shadows... nope. It was all them. I was very surprised.

Fragile and Close To The Edge were preformed in there entirety
good show. worth it.
I got to go nurse my hangover now....

Not a big fan of,

But,

Steve did play spot on, and I was really impressed.

I ate a lot of crow.

He had a cool setup,

Line 6 combo behind him, line 6 pedal board controller,

Fender Pedal steel on a glide roller, standing height,

rolled in and out for certain parts.

A variax on a fixed (alex lifeson) playing stand brought in for acoustic parts.

Guitars, His Gibsons (a real nice blonde switchmaster), a red fender strat at times.

was a good show.

Interestingly, a live DVD/CD from the last tour of the classic lineup is pending; it's called Songs from Tsongas and was recorded in '04. I'd seen the classic fivesome in Atlanta in '02 but also caught Yes on the "Masterworks" tour w/ the Russian keyboardist (Kansas opened), and even on the Talk tour in '94 (w/ Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye---better show than might have been expected by many Yes purists).

One "given" is to always expect to smell patchouli incense in Howe's dressing room...really.

Fragile and Close To The Edge were preformed in there entirety

They should have thrown in The Yes Album too. Slackers :lol:

Some clips I've seen of the recent lineup have been less-than-inspiring. Nice to know they can still bring it!

-

Austin

I saw Yes on the Union tour in Dallas once upon a time (and again in Houston again a few years later). I think everyone who'd ever been in Yes or even wanted to be in Yes was on the stage. And yes, they even had two drummers - Bill Bruford and the other guy. Phenomenal show. They opened up with Yours Is No Disgrace and never let up. Steve Howe looked like an anorexic Yoda back then, but dude is a serious musician. Trevor Rabin starred as himself. One of the great bands/concerts I've been fortunate enough to see while I'm still making laps around the sun.

Lot of love for Steve Howe from me I mean just check my avatar pic!

The first time I saw Yes was in the mid 70's at the old Met stadium in Bloomington, MN. Since then I have ran out of fingers and toes to count how many times I have seen them. To me most of the guitar god's of today can't hold Howe's G string. :P

Carl B.

First concert I saw was Yes in 1974 at Cornell where a friend of mine was a student. I hitched a ride (yikes!) from Syracuse U.

Anderson said "Hello, Rochester!" That didn't go over well.

Saw Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe many years later with my cousin's son. Tony Levin on bass, I think.

Come to think of it, "South Side of The Sky" would be on my "would love to play live" list. (If only I could play it).

Back in the day my friends and I were obsessed with Steve Howe and Yes. At 14 and 15 we could play most anything note for note - and Steve we loved. I may have told this story before - but in case no -- in 1994 I lived in the UK (Bristol) and Steve Howe came to play this one venue which turned out to be basically a dance studio. It was Steve Howe and about 20 or 30 of us sitting in some movable chairs that we almost basically pulled up around him - and he did a full acoustic set right there just feet from us all - then a brief intermission, then and electric set with him and his white Steinberger basically going "Remember this one?" and he'd start playing Heat of the Moment. I had last seen him on the ABWH tour in a hockey arena (maybe 6000?) and I was shocked that he'd be playing a venue like this for so few people for such a low ticket price (maybe 15 pounds? - don't remember). I got the sense of him as a true Troubadour and having already lived in the UK for a year by that point I understood how economically tough it was. It was humbling for sure.

But Steve was awesome - I sat there about 10 feet from his guitar fret hand making mental notes of all his fingerings and positions as he played - checking off against my own references. Some stuff he changed up a bit - some stuff he was a bit loose on -- other stuff was just great.

Looking back it was almost like a dream - very surreal experience. Watching Steve play The Clap - from almost arms length -- awesome.

He seems quite frail these days - very delicate. I guess he is getting older. Good to know he could still bring it.

I love old Yes -- but I also have a huge love for the 90215 & Generator --- and the 90215 Live concert Video --- pretty damn good stuff.

Archived