Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS 1976 Standard

Great pics Steve :) ................you can see all the work that went into this hand made guitar,the attention to detail and the build quality is over the top..What would this guitar have sold for when it was new?.................... must have been very expensive back in 1976. Knut Koupee a pretty famous music store here where I live had one of these back in the day that someone ordered and then couldn't pay for in was in a display case I remember that with no price on it.............I thought it was a Gibson [i bought one of my first big $$$ Les Pauls from Knut.]Back then I guess no one could foresee what a very rare,expensive and sought after guitar this would become. :wub:

Has this thing sold yet? I do need an everyday beater to carry around all day. I think this'll do quite nicely. :)

Thought I had this licked: let my IRA buy it as an investment!

"Not allowed" was the response from my adviser guy. <_<

If this is still here in 9.5 years and 19 days, it'll be a different story! ;)

Well, the guitar I had my sights set on is no longer available, so I'm more flexible on a deal now that the trade part isn't as limited.

Even in a self directed IRA/401K? I'm a little surprised if that's the case

Even in a self directed IRA/401K? I'm a little surprised if that's the case

Yep, even in a self-directed IRA. We've been discussing preparations to purchase real estate (definitely allowed using a few precise legal steps), but personal property is a different matter altogether. Too bad.

If I can get the Shelby sold in a week I'll buy it.

A Shelby you say? I'll give you the HFC approved $350 PLUS $200, which is the cost of the ticket I got in my buddy's GT500KR ;)

How fast were you going?

A Shelby you say? I'll give you the HFC approved $350 PLUS $200, which is the cost of the ticket I got in my buddy's GT500KR ;)

How fast were you going?

Just 90 in a 70. I wasn't even trying - LOL! I hadn't had a ticket in over 30 years (not for lack of trying ;) ), but 20 minutes behind the wheel of that beast was all it took.

How fast were you going?

Just 90 in a 70. I wasn't even trying - LOL! I hadn't had a ticket in over 30 years (not for lack of trying ;) ), but 20 minutes behind the wheel of that beast was all it took.

My top speed was 125 at Summit Point Raceway.

The car had more....I didn't :o:o:o

Have had several questions about how/when I got this one. One thing that I think makes this one even cooler is the fact that I got whole history of the guitar from the time it was originally purchased. Original owner was the road manager for the 1976 Winter Brothers Summer Tour and they were in the NYC area for a show. During the day, they hit, what else? Music shops. On a run into Pastore Music in NJ, this guitar is hanging out of reach of the unwashed masses on the wall (because it was probably as much as a few new Les Pauls cost). When you are touring with a guitar legend, people put things in your hands, so the guy plays the Hamer, digs it and buys it. #0017 then proceeds to accompany the tour, spending a lot of time in the case. In November, 1978, he decided he wanted bigger frets on the guitar, so he had a tech put in larger ones (date and signature is inscribed on the underside of the control cavity cover). A string tree was installed then too, but later removed so a screw hole remains-the only real blemish on this beauty.

Original owner gets back after some time on the road and no band anymore, he goes back to school. I don't recall if he was going back to college or med school, or both, but after that, he understandably didn't get to play it much.

Fast-forward to early 1997. I had recently become an HFC member and since no one had the internet, we didn't mind that pages loaded so slowly because there could be days without another soul showing up to post (likely because there was no boobies thread). I had bookmarked a regional Craigslist-type Classifieds that had a musical instruments section and I was on a serious Hamer Standard hunt. FINALLY an ad shows up (I literally bookmarked every guitar classified page on the Internet) for a Hamer Standard, so I call right away-a day too late.

A NYC/NJ guitar player (also a columnist for several guitar mags and fairly well-known in regional guitar circles) had scooped me. The good doctor chatted with me for a decent amount of time telling me all about the guitar and how it came to be his, etc. at the end of the chat, I joked that if the guy ever decided that he wanted his money back, he should call me. About two months later, I got a call out of the blue. I had finally scored an old '78 Standard, but had the bug big time. The guy who bought #0017 was starting a magazine and was looking to raise some cash. I was happy to oblige, although I did have to sell off my beloved '75 Ibanez Destroyer to come up with the cash. The buyer very generously drove the guitar to my in-laws' home in NJ and I picked it up at the Shore (don't recall if it was Labor Day or Memorial Day... I've enjoyed having it ever since.

This one is a stupid rare under-the-bed, no back worming beauty from the very earliest days of Hamer. This is one of the Monty basement guitars (before John McHugh came on board) and even before they had settled on the distinct double cream bridge and zebra neck pickup combination.

Not for any other purpose, but that I think it's a cool story that hopefully some HFCers will enjoy.

See, your story of #0017 and the one I have of #0189 are what I would LOVE "The Book" #2 to be like. Full page or two, 3-5 photos with the story. I bet there are 75 good ones on here and/or accessable. Think Tom Dumont, Brad Whitford's mini if ya wanna go big with it. ;)B):ph34r:

See, your story of #0017 and the one I have of #0189 are what I would LOVE "The Book" #2 to be like. Full page or two, 3-5 photos with the story. I bet there are 75 good ones on here and/or accessable. Think Tom Dumont, Brad Whitford's mini if ya wanna go big with it. ;)B):ph34r:

Our drummer finally met Charlie Huhn in the Walgreen's liquor store the other day. He told Charlie about the guitar, but couldn't remember the name "Hamer"! Charlie told him, "If it's the one I think it is, I sold it for three times what I bought it for!"

He's bringing a six-pack over next Wednesday night, if he sees our cars in the cul de sac. Vince told him we're mostly working on Steely Dan, Foreigner and Yes stuff right now. He said, "Really?"

I'll get pics. I'm thinkin' the Huhn Standard otherwise known as the "BubsBurst" is worthy of mention in the second book.

Bubs can tell the history of when he secured it.

It sold for either $1,299 (with the PAFs) or $995 without them from Dave Kenney's Guitar Gallery in 1990.

• 1 month later...

Archived