Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm still thinking opaque... Who's with me?

soli'd

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree, Steve. Every "tuxedo" Standard I see ticks all the boxes for class balanced with raunch. I think the natural back/sides will be a cool take on it, and I don't know that there's ever been an oxblood Standard (or any other Hamer for that matter). I guess if that's the case, it will remain so, as this will obviously be a Shishkov Ultimate.

A darker red. Only have ever seen it once-he usually played the white one.

Pete Wills of Def Leppard had a blood red Standard.

I was gonna do that until I saw the tops.

Yep, I just can't bring myself to cover up one of those tops.

Years back on the Birds and Moons forum I saw a DGT goldtop that had a finish so thin the flame of the maple could barely be seen underneath. That was one of the coolest finishes I've ever seen. Not sure what conditions led to that sort of thing and it might not be something that could be replicated. But this, too, is more digression...

Anyone know what sort of finish is going to be used for the Bursts, will it fade out over time like the old Gibsons finishes did or will it be a more durable process so the colour will not fade ?

Had a couple of PRS colors occur to me today:

Artist-3-2.jpg

Dark Cherry Sunburst

edit01.jpg

Tortoise

The Tortoise looks remarkably like "Beauty of the Burst" cover guitar, only without the edge shading. I think between the two, I prefer the Tortoise... today... :)

If you still thinking about this your never going to be happy. I think you just have commitment issues.

Well that goes without saying. :lol:

In truth, I haven't vacillated that widely. It all began with the Bubs-burst. The Dark Cherry Sunburst is pretty much that with a more orange center and a lighter periphery:

038.jpg

vs.:

ArtistIII2.jpg

I think this would do nicely

I've finally decided to go for White, Ebony fingerboard, Crown inlays, Headstock and body bound in Black Binding.

No 0020 on page 38 of the book

I'm hoping Mike will be ok to use Grovers rather than Schaller tuners and to use an old style (Gibson) truss rod cover.

If you still thinking about this your never going to be happy. I think you just have commitment issues.

Well that goes without saying. :lol:

In truth, I haven't vacillated that widely. It all began with the Bubs-burst. The Dark Cherry Sunburst is pretty much that with a more orange center and a lighter periphery:

038.jpg

vs.:

ArtistIII2.jpg

I think this would do nicely

Go with it. ;)

I've finally decided to go for White, Ebony fingerboard, Crown inlays, Headstock and body bound in Black Binding.

No 0020 on page 38 of the book

I'm hoping Mike will be ok to use Grovers rather than Schaller tuners and to use an old style (Gibson) truss rod cover.

Finally a compadre! That's going to look incredible. eventually we'll see a couple plain tops in the Shop Time thread!

I also requested Grovers, Mike said it shouldn't be a problem... the old school TRC is a good call as well.

Go with it. ;)

I think that last photo is what I'll send him when he's ready to speak with me about finish. I think the most exciting thing is the tops I've seen so far are much more interesting (to my taste) than the tight, symmetric flames on the PRS examples. I much prefer the wider, more varied tops I've seen in his postings.

I also like opaque, although I've wound up buying a natural finished guitar most of the time. I do remember seeing an Oxblood Les Paul like the one on page 2 and loved the color. (Was that the Beck model? If I recall it cost about what I've spent on guitars, ever.) I'm also surprised I don't see blue more often, even with Lake Placid Blue for Strat/Tele style guitars. I also really liked a Manhattan Midnight Gibson full hollow.

But here are a couple of other more unique and very cool (in my opinion) opaque colors.

The first is G&L's Spanish Copper Metallic:

mj4-full-01.jpg

(photo from http://www.upfrontguitars.com/G-and-L_MJ-4_Bass_Spanish_Copper_Metallic.html )

And for absurd awesomeness, the second is Benedetto's One off Starry Night:

bambino-sn-full3.jpg

(photo from http://benedettoguitars.com/boutique/bambino-one-off-with-starry-night-blue-finish/ )

Man, I like that Standard! :ph34r:

Jay F'ing nailed the buff job on that one. I must have told him 3 times, "Hey don't buff the guitar" and the last time he said "Trust me i'll do it tastefully". It was a wow moment seeing that pic and then seeing the guitar in person.

Archived