Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

Not sure why, but there are several sounds that I can't stand from MY rig that I have zero problems with when I hear in a song.

One is the hiss you get from single coils in the neck/neck bridge position when you have it on a hot clean sound, or low distorted sound. It is like a distorted sound, but not distorted in a way I enjoy. It is more in the attack than in the held/decay sound, so it comes across almost like a muddling of the pick attack...it is difficult for me to put into words, but I don't like it. Yet when I hear someone else doing it, I have no problem with it, and can even like the tone they are getting.

Another is the heavily distorted neck humbucker sound. I have no problems with it in all sorts of songs, from the heavy example of the melody/intro lead in the Guess Who's American Woman to the lighter example at the beginning of Sweet Child O' Mine. But when I try it on my rig at home, I just want to switch back to the middle or bridge position. I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all.

...makes me think I really like low-end dirty/heavy distortion and high-end light/clean distortion (because I like the sustain boost you get from distortion). Not sure that is advisable, or even possible, or even sane.

7-8 years ago I didn't like "classic/vintage" clean sounds. I associated them with 70s music and considered them cheesy. Now I kind of like it. Especially the neck-position single coil, and even more when it is overwound, like a P-90.

5 years ago I didn't like twang, and laughed at it. Now I want the twangiest guitar I can imagine, and my first question with any new guitar purchase is "what are the twang possibilities, and what is the twang like?"

The only exception to that seems to be my Diablos.

What does this mean?

I think it means that I grew up/into 80s hard rock, where everything (even many solos) where a bridge position humbucker through a high-gain rig. To me, that's what a guitar sounds like. It took time and personal experience/experimentation to broaden my horizons.

I think high-gain and a bridge humbucker is a really easy combo with which to start getting good sounds. I was a lot like you (though I still hate gain and bridge singles), except I did like funk and r&b a bit when I started playing along with Metallica and Alice in Chains. Put for the most part, for really the first decade I played, no matter what, I always ended up on the bridge humbucker with a ton of distortion.

For me, I started embracing more tones for a few reason. The biggest was that I realized I was never going to be a shred wizard. I can do a lot of stuff, but once it gets to multiple fingers on your right hand for tapping or multi-position, sweeped arpeggios, I'm out. Instead, I concentrated on being able to do a little of everything well, so while I was never the best in town at any one thing, I was one of the only guys in town that someone could call knowing I could do just about anything for a 15 or 20 second lead break.

I think that peaked in Gainesville where in a month stretch I was called to do a folk project, a dad rock thing, a metal thing, backing tracks for a rap act, a gospel tune, some jazzy thing, and a smattering of country. At the end of the day, producers and engineers just want someone who can dial the sound that they are looking for quickly and then play something clever that fits the music in as few takes as possible. It was strange learning that clever doesn't always necessarily mean complex as well.

I got into Mr. Bungle pretty heavily in college, and Trey Spruance ended up a huge influence due to that versatility factor. The number of styles he covers on California is amazing to me.

Finally, I think I am more into cleaner tone and twang these days just because I am a better player overall. They're isn't a helluvalot to hide behind on a twangy single coil with just a touch of grit. You pretty much can either play it or you can't, whereas I used to get away with some bullshit on a Lester through a JCM 2000 :lol:

• Like 1

One is the hiss you get from single coils in the neck/neck bridge position when you have it on a hot clean sound, or low distorted sound. It is like a distorted sound, but not distorted in a way I enjoy. It is more in the attack than in the held/decay sound, so it comes across almost like a muddling of the pick attack...it is difficult for me to put into words, but I don't like it. Yet when I hear someone else doing it, I have no problem with it, and can even like the tone they are getting.

I know to what sound you're referring. I think it qualifies as an overtone...and it's not pleasing. The right pickup set at the right height through the right rig can help. For example, I'm never displeased with the sound of my P-90 Special through the neck pickup. On the other hand, I've played many a neck single (Strat-style) and thought, "Yuck".

I know to what sound you're referring. I think it qualifies as an overtone...and it's not pleasing. The right pickup set at the right height through the right rig can help. For example, I'm never displeased with the sound of my P-90 Special through the neck pickup. On the other hand, I've played many a neck single (Strat-style) and thought, "Yuck".

Good, I'm not going insane.

Or, at least, this one aspect doesn't provide any additional evidence that I am.

But, still, I think it is interesting that I don't mind it when listening to other people play (on YouTube or .mp3), but I can't stand it coming from my amp when I'm playing.

I think high-gain and a bridge humbucker is a really easy combo with which to start getting good sounds. I was a lot like you (though I still hate gain and bridge singles), except I did like funk and r&b a bit when I started playing along with Metallica and Alice in Chains. Put for the most part, for really the first decade I played, no matter what, I always ended up on the bridge humbucker with a ton of distortion.

For me, I started embracing more tones for a few reason. The biggest was that I realized I was never going to be a shred wizard. I can do a lot of stuff, but once it gets to multiple fingers on your right hand for tapping or multi-position, sweeped arpeggios, I'm out. Instead, I concentrated on being able to do a little of everything well, so while I was never the best in town at any one thing, I was one of the only guys in town that someone could call knowing I could do just about anything for a 15 or 20 second lead break.

I think that peaked in Gainesville where in a month stretch I was called to do a folk project, a dad rock thing, a metal thing, backing tracks for a rap act, a gospel tune, some jazzy thing, and a smattering of country. At the end of the day, producers and engineers just want someone who can dial the sound that they are looking for quickly and then play something clever that fits the music in as few takes as possible. It was strange learning that clever doesn't always necessarily mean complex as well.

I got into Mr. Bungle pretty heavily in college, and Trey Spruance ended up a huge influence due to that versatility factor. The number of styles he covers on California is amazing to me.

Finally, I think I am more into cleaner tone and twang these days just because I am a better player overall. They're isn't a helluvalot to hide behind on a twangy single coil with just a touch of grit. You pretty much can either play it or you can't, whereas I used to get away with some bullshit on a Lester through a JCM 2000 :lol:

Interestingly, that's kind of the notion I settled on recently, for much the same reasons: I probably will never be able to impress anyone with 24 measures of shred...but there are all sorts of little 2-to-4 beat licks that sound cool as all get out that I can master. And from there, come up with my own.

...not that I've gotten that far down that path yet.

Why don't more women play rock guitar?

Fixed.

ETA: most play acoustics.

Edited by gorch

Thought I would make one of these for when it is late and I (or anyone else who has mental diarrhea) decide to post passing thoughts that I am sure everyone is just DYING to see posted. :D

I walked in tonight after having a few drinks out on the town, looked at my hamers quietly resting in their stand, and was totally stoked that I own such instruments. I think I may play myself to sleep on the couch on one of them.

Was that you in the latest edition of Sex Sent Me To The ER? The doctor was amazed how far up the cavity the Hame logo was visible.

Edited by ptm1diver

Thought I would make one of these for when it is late and I (or anyone else who has mental diarrhea) decide to post passing thoughts that I am sure everyone is just DYING to see posted. :D

I walked in tonight after having a few drinks out on the town, looked at my hamers quietly resting in their stand, and was totally stoked that I own such instruments. I think I may play myself to sleep on the couch on one of them.

Was that you in the latest edition of Sex Sent Me To The ER? The doctor was amazed how far up the cavity the Hame logo was visible.

I never let my guitars top. :ph34r:

Why don't more women play guitar?

I hear rumor of a Tampa Jam coming up. You in?

Thorn, I'm there. But, I tell you, I am a BE-ginner. Like started on Jan 1st this year, don't have much time to practice, not naturally gifted BE-ginner, so I may be doing more listening/appreciating than playing.

But, yeah, wouldn't miss it - let me know when and what I can do.

Fixed.

Si, si. That does seem to be the case. But, still, even in the acoustic world, what's your guess on the male/female player ratio? -- Do you think it's anywhere near 50/50? Then add in the rock guitars...

Music via guitar just doesn't seem like something that is inherently male to me. Why do you all think it's so skewed? Wild conjectures welcome.

Fixed.

Music via guitar just doesn't seem like something that is inherently male to me. Why do you all think it's so skewed? Wild conjectures welcome.

Because playing guitars attracts women, which doesn't rank that high on the priority list of most women.

And while women playing guitars does attract men, it takes much more effort, preparation, persistence, etc, than other methods available to women.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure why more women don't choose to express themselves through guitar. There are plenty of female pianists and singers... Could it be that hand size and strength are limiting factors, making playing guitar more like work for women and thus more likely to give it up or never even start? Or is it that a not-insignificant number of women decide that callouses do not comport with their image of feminine attractiveness?

Edited by Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame

Because playing guitars attracts women, which doesn't rank that high on the priority list of most women.

And while women playing guitars does attract men, it takes much more effort, preparation, persistence, etc, than other methods available to women.

On a more serious note, I'm not sure why more women don't choose to express themselves through guitar. There are plenty of female pianists and singers... Could it be that hand size and strength are limiting factors, making playing guitar more like work for women and thus more likely to give it up or never even start? Or is it that a not-insignificant number of women decide that callouses do not comport with their image of feminine attractiveness?

The first note sounds serious enough -- I have wondered about that too.

Gotta run now, off to my manicure.

I think the reason you see so few women playing electrified instruments is decades of acculturation. Go back to the rock boom in the 1950s - no women playing in the band really. Women were to lust after those playing, not to be musicians themselves. On the other hand, there have long been women playing acoustic instruments in folk music, though still not as numerous as men.

Likewise, I think there is some political baggage that get foisted upon women who just want to rock, whether they want it or not. It seems when I female band or female musician playing more in a rock and roll context starts getting notices, they get tasked with breaking down barriers. Now, many times, this is something they indeed wanted to do as a part of their art, but it often seems like other get coopted into that. It's as if women are not expected to play loud music, but if they do, then they are expected to be Kathleen Hanna. That's got to be a bummer. I guess I should mention that they also have to get around being tagged as a gimmick on top of all of that.

My last band was a metal/hard rock act with a female singer. I expected that some people wouldn't like it because metalheads can be quite conservative, but also we weren't a political band. I was actually shocked to find that most men were cool with it, but a ton of WOMEN over that band's run said to me, "I love you music, but hate seeing women sing in rock bands."

There is probably something to what Nathan said as well if you are going to look at playing a guitar as a kind of advertising for meeting someone for romantic purposes. I imagine that the demographic of women attracted to guitar playing men is much wider than the other way around. But there are plenty of men who are attracted to it. I'd give up a toe to have a cup of coffee with Donna Grantis.

And those chicks in Poison did OK for themselves.

• Thanks 1

Headpins. Based on the one album I heard back in the 80s, I believed they were an extreme dark/heavy metal outfit.

Not so much.

• 1 month later...

Someone asked me to knock $200 off what I'm asking for my studio on Reverb because they "don't like the color."

Fuck the "like" button. I want to a button that remotely slaps people for being stupid.

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 3

I wanted to see if I could do this....

This is a list of guitars that I can remember owning. I still have (I think) the ones in bold text. I wonder if I missed any?
You'll notice no Fender Strats

Guitars I've had pass thru my hands 1989-2000:

197? SG Std
1989 Explorer
1974 Les Paul Special RI SC
1979 Les Paul Custom
1995 Les Paul Special TV DC
1979 SG Std
MIM 1994 Tele red
MIM 1991 Tele blue w P90 neck, painted copper, converted to Esquire
Epi LP Standard Pink Sparkle Flake
Squier P bass
1985 Explorer with Kahler
1983 Explorer White
1998 Les Paul DC Standard Tamale Red 24 fret
1992 SG Jr black
199? Peavey Foundation bass

2000-2014:
2000 Les Paul Classic
2001 EDS 1275 Doubleneck
2001 Les Paul '57 RI Historic Goldtop
1957 Les Paul Junior TV SC
1960 Les Paul Junior DC red
1962 Les Paul/SG Junior
1968 SG Special
1968 JTM 45 acoustic
1990 Kramer Proaxe
replica '58 Explorer
replica '58 Flying V
2001 Les Paul Junior TV DC
2003 Gibson J45 acoustic
2003 Gibson ES335 Candy Apple Red
2003 Les Paul 58 RI Historic plaintop
2004 Les Paul '59 Historic Chambered Cloud 9 RI flametop
2004 Les Paul 58 RI Historic plaintop

2005 Firebird VII Ice Blue
Edwards LP Custom 3 pickup white
1989 Gibson SG Elite (pink!)
1995 Hamer Standard '59 burst
2003 Hamer korina Flying V
2006 Hamer Zandard Standard
2008 Hamer Standard korina chambered Goldtop
2008/2009 Robin Fleetwood
2008 Gibson SG '61 RI
2009 Gibson Trini Lopez RI
1991 Gibson SG/LP Custom 30th Anny
2009/2010 Charvel CS San Dimas Hot Rod Flame
2010 Les Paul 58 Historic RI page 30 burst Flametop
2011 Les Paul GC Custom Pro Pelham Blue
2009/2010 Charvel Pro Mod Primer Scream
1989 Gibson Explorer cherry red

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like Elmer's in the rain, the next person to say 'I know. Right?' will see me come unglued.

I agree. Correct?

I'm not sure. No?