Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
LucSulla

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

I got a new EVM 12L delivered tonight. Picked up the box and it was moving around. Crap. Opened it, the cheesy styro piece inside had fallen apart, little bits of busted styro all over the speaker, and creases in the cone. Filled out a return/exchange request. I hope the next one doesn't arrive the same way, but seeing how that was factory packaged, I'm not hopeful.

I hope the MBA who thought it was a good idea to save half a cent and use such poor packaging for such an awkward, heavy speaker drives the BMW he got with his bonus money into an abutment.

Years ago I had a Rivera M100 112 with one of the original EVM's in it. That's one of the few amps I wish I had kept. If I ever get an operable speaker I hope to get something close to that unique sound. I guess they're not made in the US anymore, so I'm not even sure on that front.

Rather aggravating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New strings arrived for my Boden 8.  The ones that are on there are still surprisingly fresh given it's almost all I've played for 6 months.  I caved and got the recommended strings from Strandberg which are a custom balanced tension set from a collaboration with GHS.  

Pricier than I would have liked (no free shipping), but looking forward to the string change tho. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anything more pretentious in all of guitardom than tube discussion threads?

Everyone goes the same way - 

"Hey, I was wondering about this new tube I saw in my XYZ amp."

The next answer is usually -

"Oh you'll want this or that NOS tube."

Variations include - "Hey, I was curious what you guys think of the new Mullard EL34 vs. Electro-Harmonix."

Response:

"Wehhhhhhllll... first of all, those are NOT Mullards.  The originals were great, but those new ones are not AT ALL the same.  I highly recommend you pick up this-or-that-now-defunct brand.  They are a steal at the moment for only a first born child!"

All to go in like a Peavey Classic 30 or something that some weekend warrior is just trying to rock at his weekly open mic.  I have to wonder if these people ever actually gig this stuff.  I don't care how good old Mullards sound vs a Ruby.  I'm not loading up $500 worth of glas to play Al's Blood Bucket and Bar-B-Q.  I know the patrons will long for the silky highs and warming mids in between Cuervo shots, but I just can't do it. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 8:45 PM, Tortious said:

I got a new EVM 12L delivered tonight. Picked up the box and it was moving around. Crap. Opened it, the cheesy styro piece inside had fallen apart, little bits of busted styro all over the speaker, and creases in the cone. Filled out a return/exchange request. I hope the next one doesn't arrive the same way, but seeing how that was factory packaged, I'm not hopeful.

I hope the MBA who thought it was a good idea to save half a cent and use such poor packaging for such an awkward, heavy speaker drives the BMW he got with his bonus money into an abutment.

Years ago I had a Rivera M100 112 with one of the original EVM's in it. That's one of the few amps I wish I had kept. If I ever get an operable speaker I hope to get something close to that unique sound. I guess they're not made in the US anymore, so I'm not even sure on that front.

Rather aggravating.

I have an old EVM from an 88 Mesa Mark III combo collecting dust.  I keep meaning to sell it but then keep forgetting.  If you're ever interested, let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are told to bring the bigger rig because the venue is large. 

yes-yes-fuck-yes-i-am-so-in.jpg

 

Bog finna eat! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wonder if it's really GAS or if it's the actual acquiring and then moving along gear, thus creating a never ending stream of something to do with your gear, is really what guitar collections end up about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Wampler's YouTube Channel is endlessly fascinating.  I'm addicted. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't really listened to the most recent Van Halen album until this week.  Maybe it took me 10 years to get over the Michael Anthony thing. 

Good lord!  It kills!

And as corny as DLR is, he just writes far more clever lyrics than Sammy.  I've come to terms with it.  DLR is the Keats of childish lyrics about getting laid.  

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Can you really use this skill in a song? 

 

Maybe the club is on fire, but you can't stop rocking, so you need to play the whole set in one minute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Maybe the club is on fire, but you can't stop rocking, so you need to play the whole set in one minute. 

In other words, Great White could have finished their set and got paid for the gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

In other words, Great White could have finished their set and got paid for the gig.

It's possible! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Can you really use this skill in a song? 

I lost interest in his playing even faster than his playing.  I just did three short 'jumps' over the entire video rather than play the entire thing, it was much more than enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Can you really use this skill in a song? 

 

I've seen videos similar to this. I've also seen another video that explains how these are faked! Using software, different parts of the video image can be edited, sped up/slowed down, to make it seem like they are playing really fast.

This video meets all the criteria: "fast" guitar player, some other person in the same room in the background, and either a clock or other parts in seemingly "normal" time. Notice how fast the person walks by the window at 1:41. 

Edited by Thundersteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, LucSulla said:

I often wonder if it's really GAS or if it's the actual acquiring and then moving along gear, thus creating a never ending stream of something to do with your gear, is really what guitar collections end up about. 

I'd say you might be onto something... something I hope I can side step in the years to come. I learned today of the potential impending demise of my cover band which has been running since 2010. Faced with no gigs, I wonder how I will deal with the GAS and the revolving door of axes that it oft creates.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I'd say you might be onto something... something I hope I can side step in the years to come. I learned today of the potential impending demise of my cover band which has been running since 2010. Faced with no gigs, I wonder how I will deal with the GAS and the revolving door of axes that it oft creates.

 

 

I tend to spend more on less when I'm gigging.  I've got really top notch gear at the moment, but I actually own less stuff. I run through more guitars when I'm not gigging because I don't know what I actually want to play as none of it gets used for playing out.  I find gigging pretty quickly makes clear what I have just to have and what I actually prefer for making music. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, EH's Synth9 and B9 pedals f*cking ROCK! Whole new sonic world has opened up and my songwriting is re-inspired!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, any time I walk into a bar and Gibby Haynes isn't on stage swinging a microphone around, I am really let down.  One day...
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your band will always have that one guy.  That one fucking guy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Sometimes I wondered if that was me, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. That's one of many reasons though that I avoided the band thing for 20 years now.

Back to that EV saga at the top of this page, B&H had EV send me one directly, it got here intact, they were really good about it. Finally got around to putting it in an Orange PPC112 a few weeks ago, got a Quilter Overdrive 200 to go with it. Very impressive. I no longer need to lament over that Rivera. Getting a tc reverb pedal for it this week too. Kinda wish I lived in a more remote setting than a damn condo so I could have at it for a much longer period of time, but it's all what I hoped it would be. For a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yet another show where I bring three guitars and still end up playing the Shishkov for 75% of four hours of music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×