Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Back in the shop after a nice Christmas

Northfield

Out of all of the shots you guys posted from the Hamer shop over the years, the heel blend shots were the ones that absolutely terrified me.

Serious savagery!

It is incredible (and beautiful) how it all turns out, but man, to go at that hog with such coarse tools is too close to Michael Myers or Jason for me!

This is just so incredibly cool!

What amazes me is the consistancy. A machine will repeat time and again, but to pull that off by hand? Stunning. The very definition of 'craftsman'.

Really awesome work Mike. It's funny how high quality build photos can build the appreciation of your brand soooo much. But it really does.

Like any craftsman at the top of his game you make it all look easy but as any of us who have tried this will testify - it isn't.

Very very exciting. I can only imagine how people will respond once the paint gets applied!

It always amazes me to see what hands can do. I could do it in my head a thousand times. It would never flow into my hands in any close accuracy. My wife and little son are hand driven to.

Blending necks is always fun, just the like the old days. I am sure you have seen this before ;).

Oh sure...see it every day.

:D

Been 10 years since I saw Mike work in person but I still have a vivid memory or three. Seeing this makes me awed by the work being crafted. Can't wait to play my next guitar.

Blending necks is always fun, just the like the old days. I am sure you have seen this before ;).

009_zps3703d78c.jpg

007_zps71bbcbc9.jpg

076_zps7fce019c.jpg

082_zps7ea179dc.jpg

093_zps18684eed.jpg

Man, didn't realize I can move this fast:

090_zpsd42661c8.jpg

102_zps1ee3e403.jpg

105_zps46c85c63.jpg

Mike or anyone,

What is that spaced wood rasp in the fourth photo called and why is it configured that way?

This heel shaping process is unbelievably cool. It exemplifies the extreme talent level and attention to detail required to make it into these circles. All smiles here - just incredible work.

Mike or anyone,

What is that spaced wood rasp in the fourth photo called and why is it configured that way?

That is a Shinto Saw Rasp (minus the handle). They can remove material efficiently and allow a high degree of control. The spaces allow the chips to clear. You can buy them here http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/151297/9-Shinto-Saw-Rasp.aspx

Archived