Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Back in the shop after a nice Christmas

Northfield

Blending necks is always fun, just the like the old days. I am sure you have seen this before ;).

009_zps3703d78c.jpg

007_zps71bbcbc9.jpg

076_zps7fce019c.jpg

082_zps7ea179dc.jpg

093_zps18684eed.jpg

Man, didn't realize I can move this fast:

090_zpsd42661c8.jpg

102_zps1ee3e403.jpg

105_zps46c85c63.jpg

Mike or anyone,

What is that spaced wood rasp in the fourth photo called and why is it configured that way?

This heel shaping process is unbelievably cool. It exemplifies the extreme talent level and attention to detail required to make it into these circles. All smiles here - just incredible work.

Mike has also used a grinder to do a German carve on many guitars.

It's in the 2004 video.

I have no idea how he was able to consistently get the same finished look on so many guitars.

That rasp was also used to carve the necks for the dual truss rod B12 bass necks and the asymmetric carve of the 1990s 5 string cruise basses.

Hamer always bought them without the handle. I am not sure why. I have used mine with and without the handle and I prefer it without.

That rasp and a cabinet scraper are two of my favorite hand tools.

Somehow if we had to take turns with that tool to see who could master it, the majority of us would ruin the wood. It ain't the tool that makes the guitars.

Ahhhhh.....but a quick look on EBAY would contradict you.

It would appear there are many "TOOLS" trying to make guitars :)

Most just suck at it.

Somehow if we had to take turns with that tool to see who could master it, the majority of us would ruin the wood. It ain't the tool that makes the guitars.

Ahhhhh.....but a quick look on EBAY would contradict you.

It would appear there are many "TOOLS" trying to make guitars :)

Most just suck at it.

And tools wrapping a brand new Dodge Hellcat around a tree just after buying it.

Which just goes to show, in every field, there's a human tool attempting what they should leave to an expert.

Is it getting harder to accept average build quality after experiencing the work of Mr. Shishkov, or is it just me?

Mike or anyone,

What is that spaced wood rasp in the fourth photo called and why is it configured that way?

That is a Shinto Saw Rasp (minus the handle). They can remove material efficiently and allow a high degree of control. The spaces allow the chips to clear. You can buy them here http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/151297/9-Shinto-Saw-Rasp.aspx

Thanks B. We called it japanese file.

Archived