Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA EBAY Hamer Monaco Elite "RELIC"

What the? That didn't leave the factory that way, did it? Didn't even think this finish type was conducive to checking.

To me it looks less like professionally aged and more like non-professionally abused. :-)

Ha! Very perfect analog for natural wear and tear vs. "Relic'd"

One thing you should understand when you have a "RELIC" or just a old well play worn guitar is that because of all the checking,dings,dents and bare wood where the finish is literally gone you can not use a paste/liquid white wax/polish because as you can see in the photos of this guitar its going to leach into those areas leaving remnants behind.I think weather striations on a older guitar look really cool,on a guitar thats nitro finished its rare not to have some develop over time.On a newer guitar like this one it doesn't work for me.......it looks fake and out of place IMHO.Its a cool color though and a cool Hamer, the price.............not so much. :huh:

First off, I love old, worn guitars and realistic relics. This just does not look right at all.

When this Monaco Elite left the factory there is no doubt it was fucking phenomenally beautiful. Its the only way they made them - period. This one is like brush painting a newer Ferrari with red barn paint and then calling it custom paint with an added up-charge?!?! Sadly, we've blown past a mere WTF on this jewel of a CF.

At the bare minimum, a swift kick in the twins is in order here. Painfully bizarre. :wacko:

Maybe it's just me, but I love guitars that look well played...artificial or natural. Love the flame on this one, the relic job looks okay to me. But, they didn't age the hardware at all. A shiny bridge and stopbar doesn't go with they relic body. Heck, I'd give him $350 for it.

Weird...I didn't think that Hamer's catalized finish was supposed to weathercheck like nitrocelluose. On Hamers with the catalized finish, that I've seen that DID get weatherchecked (a rare occurence, IMO...you really have to mistreat a Hamer to do that), they had finishes that shattered like glass, with really ugly results, and they didn't behave like a nitro finish. I wonder if this guy (or somebody else) did the 'relicing' with an X-acto knife? Maybe a refin to nitro?

That thing has most likely been given the razor treatment, by someone who said they knew what they were doing.

I wouldn't touch that unless there is real confirmation from someone in the know that it was really made that way, and not just some idiot deciding that since he put a few dings on his guitar, he'd get more if it was was "relic'd".

• 2 weeks later...

No affiliation with the seller, but this is a particularly nice looking example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-Elite-Les-Paul-Flame-top-Historic-The-Best-Killer-top-USA-R7-R8-R9-/191466034959?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c9443d70f

The mention of this being a experimental relic model- anyone have any info on that? I've never heard of anything like that from the factory, and I don't usually go in for that sort of thing, but this looks pretty tastefully done, IMO and all that.

Although Flynn was one of the largest Hamer dealers in the USA, they take quite a few liberties with the truth in their descriptions.

I posted about this guitar earlier in another thread................ the guitar model itself and the color looks nice..............the "RELIC" job does not look either real or "Proper" on this guitar. Some guitars just look cool when they are play worn and the finish is cracked and crazed but this isn't one of them.

LOL sorry I didn't see the other thread, this one will be summarily nuked.. whether or not it looks real, I don't dislike how it looks, which surprises me. I'm normally the first to cry foul with "aged" guitars, they're usually way overdone.

Thats not a issue and don't misunderstand I like the guitar just not what someone did as far as try to age it..............razor knife perhaps? :o Also the other comment I made was that now the cracks have white polishing compound/wax in them which is tough to remove once its in the finish,that never looks good. :o As soon as you find that fountain of youth GHIF..............let me know and share...............much appreciated! ;)

Archived