Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If I offered you $2,500....er $2,750 for your Newport 90, what would you say?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few who could challenge you for that title!

It's, basically, a semi-hollow with a solid block down the middle. That disqualifies a significant number of Newports. The wrap-around P-90 combination is tried and true. I don't give a shit about whether it's double bound. I'm really serious about buying one of these. I might pony up a bit more for the right one. For me, it might be Hamer's finest "hour".

Forgive my ignorance, but what other Newports have the same construction(semi-hollow with solid block down the middle)? Aren't the Pros the same way(but with a TOM setup)?

• 3 weeks later...

Standing offer. Thanks.

I would say, "I don't have a Newport P-90, but I have an Artist Korina P-90, which is the same except for, oh, a few details like the body, the top, etc. So will you give me $1250 for that?"

It's nice, but it doesn't have a Bigsby!

I realize they aren't, but Bigsby's remind me of some early industrial manufacturing contrivance once used to punch holes in steel that was converted over later to bend guitar strings. Overbuilt and nostalgic? OK sure, but still way to much metal, mounts and other crap mounted to the front of the guitar to get that accomplished that is largely irreversible from the holes it would leave.

Bigsby's are Fugly with a capital "F", they should be called "Fugsby's". :)

I realize they aren't, but Bigsby's remind me of some early industrial manufacturing contrivance once used to punch holes in steel that was converted over later to bend guitar strings. Overbuilt and nostalgic? OK sure, but still way to much metal, mounts and other crap mounted to the front of the guitar to get that accomplished that is largely irreversible from the holes it would leave.

While I can live with one, on the right guitar, I really do not use one. I was recently tempted to give up my last 335 when I stumbled over a great semi-hollow with solid woods (and really nice looking woods too). Really hard to find guitar too. But I just had to cool myself down because it had a Bigsby......AND it is still listed for sale.

If I had one, I'd sell it to you and buy an R4.

I thought you picked up the blacktop 54 from WW.... Or do you mean another R4?

Nah, I couldn't do it, but I still have a relatively unhealthy appreciation for those, especially that specific variant.

Another bump for The Shark! Help this man out.

Considering the MASSIVE damage done to fine guitar tops to install a Floyd/Kahler system, a Bigsby is much more elegant by comparison and easier to 'repair', post-removal. I'm curious if anyone could comment regarding the tuning stability and overall function of modern Bigsbys versus older versions, as I've never spent quality time with one.

Noted and agree on the install and mods required comparatively, but "elegant", uh . . . NO. Now, in a medieval catapult sort of way - possibly?

Hell it may keep a dead-balls on, perfect tune and functionality through a tornado, a solid tour of EVH dove bombs and jumps and being dropped down a flight of steps by a stoned roadie (without a case) . . . . . . . .

but they're still F U G L Y. ;)

Wait a new thread idea: "The Double Fugly Thread", Heritage guitars with Bigsby's! :lol:

(Sorry Thorn - I couldn't resist)

As a new owner of a Newport with a Bigsby I love both the guitar and the Bigsby and I was hesitant to buying because of the Bigsby but the positive feedback on Newports and the Bigsby along with the buy it now price on eBay was enough to sway me. That being said I don't see me buying a roller bridge. I bought nutsauce which I still have not used. I bought flat wounds which are still in the package and no issues so far. I have like 10 pairs of needle nose pliers so I think I can bend the strings when putting a new set of strings on so that won't be an issue. So I don't have a problem with a Bigsby and what I have read Hamer modified the Bigsby for their guitars. Like I posted earlier on my review of my Newport if I never use the Bigsby again my opinion is it looks cool as hell! Staying in tune definitely does not hurt. I worked in a machine shop out of High School so I guess the industrial press look of the Bigsby reminds me of my machine shop days. Now I work in wastewater treatment so a punch press may not seem favorable to other peoples opinions I see other people's crap flowing through where I work. All being said acquiring a Hamer Newport regardless of the model is a can't go wrong acquisition Bigsby or not! Awesome Guitar!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived