Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'Four Digit' vs. everything else

serial

Question

There seems to be some confusion out there in recent months amongst people newer to Hamer as to what is or is not a 'Four Digit' Hamer.

If the serial number is inked on-IT IS NOT A FOUR DIGIT.

If the guitar has a number before the remaining four numbers of the serial number-IT IS NOT A FOUR DIGIT.

If the guitar was built in the Hamer factory or by Tom Holmes-IT IS NOT A FOUR DIGIT.

'Four Digit' serialed Hamers were custom builds made by either Monty or McHugh and finished up at Hamer (usually) and were non-production instruments. 'Four Digits' were built between 12/7/74 and mid 1985 (although #0000 didn't get a serial number right away). Four Digits are most often Standards, Standard Basses, Multistring Basses, some early and custom Vectors, and some early Cruisebasses.

The 'Four Digit' term is one that came into use in the mid-1990s with this site as a way to differentiate the separate serial number schemes. ALL 'Four Digit' Hamers have their serial numbers impressed into the wood on the back of the headstock. Dealers and sellers have become aware of this term and either through ignorance or for unscrupulous reasons, refer to run of the mill Hamers as 'Four Digits' and concoct ridiculous explanations as to why they are overpriced.

Always check here first.

Next up...

'Not Every Hamer Was Formerly Owned By Rick Nielsen'

24 answers to this question

Is it possible that guitar is serial 9115X ? It almost looks like a 5 could have followed it.? He clained it as a 1979.

g

9 115* would be possible (and correct) for a 1979 Sunburst, but there would be a space between the '9' and the other four serial digits (a total of FIVE numbers, not four). And, the serial is inked, notstamped into the wood. NOT a 'Four Digit'.

Next up...

'Not Every Hamer Was Formerly Owned By Rick Nielsen'

Correct they were owned by Hamstd or MC2. Well not every Hamer but most of those I have lusted after over the years.

Hamerica

Geez, Serial......ya could have at least done this in a Jeff Foxworthy format.

"You might be a Four-Digit if....."

I do have to add how much the Hamer four-digit serial number amuses me, since they all begin with a zero which, by many, is not considered a "number." So, to have someone ask " what is the serial number of your four-digit Hamer," you might technically be unable to answer that. If you read the "numbers," you can only recite 1 thru 9. If you omit the leading zero, you only have three numbers, which is NOT a "four-digit."

But it is VERY "Hamer" in it's contradictions and confusion.

Much like naming a production guitar model a "Prototype" or a Thunderbird copy a "FB" for Firebird, or some of the other quirks. :)

These are some of the reasons I miss Hamer, besides just the cool guitar and bass builds.

According to the doctrine of Schoolhouse Rock, Zero is My Hero, but still, Three is a Magic Number.

Yes, it is. It's a magic number.

So when it comes to Hamer 4 digit serial numbers remember -

All Hamer 4 digit instruments have a serial number that starts with zero, and zero is the hero, followed by 3 more digits, and 3 is a magic number. Cool.

Not all 4 digit Hamers were Standards, but all Standards made in 1985 and prior were 4 digit Hamers. Get out your venn diagrams. THIS Is Going To Get Logical. Just kidding.

Zero is most definitely a number. And as it turns out, a very important number / concept. Mathematics without a zero is fairly limited to arithmetic.

And Pluto is definitely a planet. ... stinkin' Pluto deniers. <_<

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but I'm starting to think about selling the guitar I swore I would never sell, my 4 digit standard. I never paid attention to what it might be worth as I never thought I'd sell it. Would anyone care to offer a guess what it may be worth ??

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but I'm starting to think about selling the guitar I swore I would never sell, my 4 digit standard. I never paid attention to what it might be worth as I never thought I'd sell it. Would anyone care to offer a guess what it may be worth ??

Hard to say. Pics would help. But I'm guessing $350 times a couple.

Regarding posting a pic - go to your Photobucket page and off to the right, you have 4 code boxes. The one on the bottom (the "" code one) is for posting on forums and will work here. Just copy that url (the box will turn yellow and read: "copied"), and then paste it into the reply here.

Archived