Hamer Fan Club Message Center

But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?

velorush

Zong! Headstock binding off class.

Quit your job immediately, go home and take pics. B)

ETA: replace of for off.

Hell Yeah! Where are you priorities?

Hamerica

I find myself thinking/wanting to say "this is my favorite one yet!" each time one of these masterpieces surfaces. This one is off the hook cool tho! Gawd.

Your pickups are stupefying. I only got to play for about thirty minutes last night before having to leave the house, but I just can't get my head around all of the different things this guitar / pickup combination will do. Metal, classic rock? Sure. That's to be expected (and with incredible note detail regardless of how much mush I could push through the amp), but I could take that guitar, neck pickup with volume on around 7-8 and do an entire set of jazz standards.

I'd like to try some adjustments to relative pickup height (personal preference), but every change in volume or tone control brought a new usable sound.

What pots are in these things? I had usable sound with great clarity with the Volume control on 2 - no kidding!

It's interesting that a few things keep coming up with all the Ultimates. Light weight, nice necks, and clarity-definition-articulate quality are some. I ended up lowering my pickups just a hair to take some edge off as the Valvetech is a pretty bright amp. I agree, the neck pickup in particular is nice and clear, "wood" sounding, a sort of clean canvas to put your playing, amp and effects on.

I've taken about five photos and others in the office have tried, as well. It refuses to be photographed accurately. This is as close as I've gotten, but it isn't even close. They absolutely nailed the finish I requested. It is a very complex burst that I'm considering calling Scutiburst ('cause it's about 1,700 times as large as a sunburst) :D

20150924_120939_zpstkwtogkr.jpg

And another attempt

20150924_121000_zps2m8atask.jpg

The neck is [Trump voice] HUGE [/Trump voice] - perfectly shaped. I played for a few minutes at my desk (unplugged) - this thing could give my semi-hollow Gibson a run for it's money for unplugged volume! Also surprised at how lightweight it is.

This looks very classic! Also like fat necks. Just the perfect combination.

• 6 months later...

I dig the appointments on this Ultimate, velo! The multi-binding with ebony board/crowns is classy. The finish/top, beautiful while maintaining an aggressive look.

Keep trying with your camera, please. Reds are very difficult to reproduce on a digital camera, and cherry sunbursts just seem to confuse it even further. An expensive SLR, the right lenses/lighting and experience (of which I have none, haha!) help. 

The best shots of my Ultimate were with my crappy, iPhone 4s, of all things. This shot is very representative of the actual finish (I totally lucked out):

IMG_0300.JPG.jpeg

Ain't cherry ;). It's a special concoction Mike put together we're calling Scuti Burst. Those photos are actually quite representative of the color (that's what prompted me to finally post some) in most light.

Fair enough. The second series of case shots are so different from the first one I figured the more bursted shots favored the actual finish.

Either way, great work. I'm very picky about bursts. They are difficult to get "right", and a a proper spray is an art in itself.

Definitely. I find bursts horribly polarizing (for me): I either love a particular burst or hate it.

You can see why I was so frustrated with the initial shots - why I tried so many times to capture the color and finally gave up. The Sony camera I was using got incredibly close to what was before it at that time of day, yesterday. Those earlier (phone) shots are representative of it straight on in florescent (office) light. The truth probably lies somewhere between the shots; it can look like both... or neither. It is a very complex burst and the top's 3D wranglings make it all the more difficult to capture.

Let me also say it is exactly what I had in mind and is an amazing amalgam of the example photos and conversations I had with Mike in the latter stages, just before it was sprayed. 

There are some great guitar builders out there, but how many can take a few photos and a couple of conversations and translate that into exactly what someone sees in their head?

Artistry!

Archived