Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Never knew how great he was untill the documentary

neastguy

Glen Campbell, documentary about his journey through Alzheimer's

Hey Steve, posted that at the same time you did!

Thanks, Just saw the other thread. http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/69027-glen-campbell-ill-be-me/

Seems like I saw an awards show a year or two ago with him and his daughter on stage, ring a bell? IIRC it was a news clip. Maybe about Alzheimer's.

ooops.. sorry about not doing a search first...

yep.. watched it last night on Netflix...

Just because there was a different thread about this doesn't mean this thread won't take on its own life. I never clicked on the other thread because Glen Campbell was in the title of that thread. Wasn't interested until now. Great subject to cover more than once. I was going to do some chores outside this morning but I think I'll sit back with some Triscuits and Cabot Extra Sharp and watch this instead.

Thanks for the post.

I know music isn't a competition.. but as I watched the doc of Glenn I came to the conclusion that he was one those guys who was just special.. guys like John Mayer .. Dave Grohl .. keith Urban all are great talents.. but I swear to me .. Glenn is a notch above .. can't explain it....

with that being said... if they did a doc on those other guys I mentioned.. maybe I'd feel the same way....lol

People my age (51) will likely be more familiar with him than those younger. During the heyday of variety shows (everyone had a variety show in the 70's), his was arguably one of the best (Mac Davis, another under appreciated songwriter, had another). The Glenn Campbell Goodtime Hour was a never miss around our house. There were also movies IIRC, but none whose titles come to mind ATM.

My best guesses:

Some kind of custom 12 String Talladega?

Glenn Campbell

Glenn Campbell: I'll Be Me

That was a one-off design made just for Mr. Campbell.

My pair, a Newport 12 and the CO Duo-Tone 12, are both great instruments. Campbell made great recordings well before he made the "hit parade" and was well known for making the 12 string his "lead" instrument. It is great that Hamer made him something to "take it to the next level".

There were also movies IIRC, but none whose titles come to mind ATM.

Twelve acting credits including True Grit with John Wayne.

campbell3.jpg

Filmography also includes 54 music soundtrack credits and 165 personal appearance and documentary credits.

In 1965 Brian Wilson stayed home to work on Pet Sounds while the Beach Boys toured. Glen Campbell filled in on that tour, playing bass. Here are the Boys on that tour talking with a couple of local personalities in Seattle:

Image62.jpg

The first 45 I ever bought myself was "Galveston", by Glen Campbell.

I think before that, Steve and I had a Banana Splits Theme 45 and the Monkee's "Last Train To Clarksville" or something that Glen most likely did the session work for anyway.

I know music isn't a competition.. but as I watched the doc of Glenn I came to the conclusion that he was one those guys who was just special.. guys like John Mayer .. Dave Grohl .. keith Urban all are great talents.. but I swear to me .. Glenn is a notch above .. can't explain it....

with that being said... if they did a doc on those other guys I mentioned.. maybe I'd feel the same way....lol

In that vein (and looping in the '70s variety show angle)...I would say Jerry Reed was right up there also

I cringe when the only thing someone knows Jerry Reed for is "Smokey and the Bandit."

It's kind of like (but nowhere near to the level) when years ago my son, watching "Ted Nugent Spirit of the Wild" asked, oh, he plays guitar, too?

You should also check out “The Wrecking Crew,” a documentary film by Denny Tedesco (son of Tommy Tedesco).

The wrecking crew guitarists were, in addition to Glen Campbell, the likes of James Burton, Carol Kaye, Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco and a slew of others most people have never heard of.

Some of the cast members are Herb Alpert, Glen Campbell, Cher, Dick Clark, Micky Dolenz, Al Jardine, Carol Kaye, Gary Lewis, Roger McGuinn, Don Randi, Leon Russell, Joe Saraceno, Nancy Sinatra, Tommy Tedesco, Peter Tork, Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson and Frank Zappa.

Available streaming on Netflix...and well worth watching more than once...IMHO

In 1965 Brian Wilson stayed home to work on Pet Sounds while the Beach Boys toured. Glen Campbell filled in on that tour, playing bass. Here are the Boys on that tour talking with a couple of local personalities in Seattle:

Image62.jpg

Do you think anyone would mind if I copied that picture?

You should also check out “The Wrecking Crew,” a documentary film by Denny Tedesco (son of Tommy Tedesco).

The wrecking crew guitarists were, in addition to Glen Campbell, the likes of James Burton, Carol Kaye, Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco and a slew of others most people have never heard of.

Some of the cast members are Herb Alpert, Glen Campbell, Cher, Dick Clark, Micky Dolenz, Al Jardine, Carol Kaye, Gary Lewis, Roger McGuinn, Don Randi, Leon Russell, Joe Saraceno, Nancy Sinatra, Tommy Tedesco, Peter Tork, Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson and Frank Zappa.

Available streaming on Netflix...and well worth watching more than once...IMHO

The movie was good and I also highly recommend the book.

Archived