Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Never knew how great he was untill the documentary

neastguy

I cringe when the only thing someone knows Jerry Reed for is "Smokey and the Bandit."

It's kind of like (but nowhere near to the level) when years ago my son, watching "Ted Nugent Spirit of the Wild" asked, oh, he plays guitar, too?

If the general population should know Jerry for any one thing, it should be this instead of Smokey and the Bandit:

ETA: And hopefully, Chet would be known for something other than that shirt he's wearing:

I don't really remember him doing much flashy guitar work on the show, though.

Found this clip, here's the lineup left to right (according to the YouTube posts for this video):

Don Lineberger, John Hartford, Glen Campbell, Roni Stoneman, Steve Martin, Mason Williams:

I'm guessing this was just before Roni Stoneman was on Hee Haw, she was a member of early Country artists The Stoneman Family, too. Steve Martin was a comedy writer for the show, as was Mason Williams, who also wrote and had a hit with 'Classical Gas' in the late '60's.

As much as I like the classic version of 'Wichita Lineman' above, I like this one even better...stripped down, no strings and darker in tone:

Crunchee-This is too cool!

Watched Glen's show when I was a kid.This was and is one of my favorite songs. The delivery is spot on. Paced, lyrical, and heartfelt.

Oh, man, thanks for posting that video! It's strange how a song can transport you back in time. I always liked that song as a kid.

...., Steve and I had a Banana Splits Theme 45 .......

Campbell was definitely a badass, but of the entire thread, this is what stands out most.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 63 so I remember Glen and all his songs and great guitar playing well........he almost killed his career and himself with drugs and booze.He could REALLY play guitar and sing.................his meeting with Jimmy Webb was a match made in heaven.................those songs and the way he sang them................he was really something exceptional.............he STILL is...............Glen Campbell.

This is an episode of Behind The Music from VH1; a great watch if you've interest in Glen.

http://youtu.be/gJkWUfC4PQM

Thanks for posting this! This is what I was expecting when I saw the other documentary. What a great talent. I'm so glad he got his act together. God bless his wife for helping him get back on his feet. She seems like a great woman.

I'm really glad even though he wasn't in top form that he got to do one last album and tour. Didn't get to see the tour, but the album is good. Even though we all know about Alzheimer's, the film will bring it into the light a little bit more. I wish I had 1/1000th of Glen's talent.

Archived