Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bad Hamers?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pirateflynn

While my Newport Pro sounds great I've read that some of them have certain dead spots. I read in a review somewhere that it is due to low headstock mass and when this person called Hamer they suggested attaching a C-Clamp to the headstock as a remedy! This was unexceptable to the owner but since he bought it used he had little recourse. Has anyone else heard of this probelm?

My 1993 archtop gt has a dead spot on the neck somewhere around fret 11 I don't remember exactly. Only occurs on one string but it's there. Doesn't matter what kind of strings you put on it or the way it's setup it's still there.

98spec01.jpg

1998 single pickup Special.

It was kinda stuck between a Special and a Junior; doing neither particularly well.

....and then there's that pickguard!

This guitar was a dud, and that's being kind. The body was not resoanant and it had a very wide and shallow neck. Not at all comfortable to play.

It was owned by at least half a dozen HFC-ers, and never managed to get the factory polish worn off of the frets. It probably saw more time in a shipping box than hung around a player's neck.

This guitar was proof that Hamer guitars are in fact made by human beings.

I sold it to a guy in Spain. It won't bother us any longer.

98spec02.jpg

I had a problm with a Superpro I purchased for a local acquaintance.

The pots felt way to loose and "cheap", the bridge pup was just too brash and high-middy, he neck pup was wooooofy.

My acquaintance fiddled around with it for about 5 minutes handed it back to me and said to get lost. Score: -1 for Hamer and I don't think that buyer will ever bother again, despite having personally played my own stuff.

I tweaked the pup height and polepiece height until it sounded accceptable and then put it for sale again. The next buyer ( a guy in Germany) never bothered to reply to my messages - which in my modest experience is usually a sign of being not very happy (happy buyers have *always* written me back a thankyou note).

There are other examples but I won't bore you...

At the end of the day - yes guitars are built by humans and (eventually) tested by other humans.

I'm still waving my Hamer flag high 'cos I know - and it was told to me at the last guitar show I attended with my Hamer US stuff - that Hamer *can* kick ass.

But when it doesn't, it's just as good as any Gi*son you buy off Amazon.com...

< (happy buyers have *always* written me back a thankyou note).>>

I disagree. I have sold thousands of items guitars, amps, etc. You only hear back from the problems most of the satisfied people come back for more.

True...but remember Al....he is in Europe, and there is a completely different mindset over there.

Thanks very much Poe for recognizing that.

We Europeans are very happy with that different mindset.

Gabe :blink: :angry:

A growing majority of Americans have adopted a "It's all for me" attitude that ignores simple politeness and repect. Families don't teach their kids to say "Thank you", people don't honor simple conventions that make life a little better for all.

Hopefully, the pendulum will swing back.

A growing majority of Americans have adopted a "It's all for me" attitude that ignores simple politeness and repect. Families don't teach their kids to say "Thank you", people don't honor simple conventions that make life a little better for all.

I wouldn't count on it.

Speak for you and yours. This certainly does not pertain to mine!!!

98spec01.jpg

1998 single pickup Special.

It was kinda stuck between a Special and a Junior; doing neither particularly well.

....and then there's that pickguard!

This guitar was a dud, and that's being kind. The body was not resoanant and it had a very wide and shallow neck. Not at all comfortable to play.

It was owned by at least half a dozen HFC-ers, and never managed to get the factory polish worn off of the frets. It probably saw more time in a shipping box than hung around a player's neck.

This guitar was proof that Hamer guitars are in fact made by human beings.

I sold it to a guy in Spain. It won't bother us any longer.

98spec02.jpg

It was all my fault. I found it, NOS, in Ft. Lauderdale.

LOL!

:blink: uchh..

Jeff.

Well...I wouldn't call it a "majority"..but there definitely seems to be more and more of them every day.

My comment was a compliment to my European bretheren, and I hope that it was taken that way.

98spec01.jpg

And I think I got it from Paul, IIRC. I did not think it was all that bad..... I actually played it at a gig or two... But that friggin' pickguard! Does anybody remember me posting a pic of that one with an LP Jr pickguard? I really wanted to drill it for a cool pickguard, but decided against it. I am not sure why they allowed that one to leave the factory looking like that, LOL.

As far as duds.... I've owned (2) SS-1's. I know some people here like them. I could not get either of mine to hold tune, I did not think they resonated, and I thought the stock pickups were aweful.

A growing majority of Americans have adopted a "It's all for me" attitude that ignores simple politeness and repect.  Families don't teach their kids to say "Thank you", people don't honor simple conventions that make life a little better for all.

Speak for you and yours. This certainly does not pertain to mine!!!

We have been quite particular about how we've raised the kids, and I am proud to say that they are complimented a lot.

Being in retail shows you a different side of the average joe than many other professions.

Maybe "majority" was a poor choice of words. How about "segment"?

I believe that people in general will help each other without thinking.

edited to correct a shpellink error

Guest pirateflynn

What about the dead spots on the Newports Greg..........have you run into that? Is it low headstock mass? Thanks!

Archived