Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2016 challenge

JimiH

49 minutes ago, JimiH said:

Is that a syringe ? 😀

Haha, no. It's a probe for sexing snakes. I have so many of those they are just sitting around and I use them for other things as well. I do have syringes for veterinary use. I should have thought to put one in the picture.  I have tuberculins all the way up to 20cc. 

34 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

No guitar?  Bold.

I know, isn't it?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay,  made some time tonight to finally put down what i've got.

It's a little slow (as am I,) and since I tend to overthink, only took a few stabs at it after not playing it for a week or two (I think this was take 5.)

2nd Gen Phantom into a Tech21 TriAC. pedal thing  (meant to use my Yamaha THR10 I got  in the last year, but just used the tech 21 for guitar and the bass out of laziness.)  Someday I really want an 8-string, 'cause playing the octaves in that is kind of a pain, lol.

Summary:  Again, I had a friggin' blast.  I learned a bunch, and am even more amazed when people pull this kind of stuff off so effortlessly.    I had to laugh, as I was so concerned about how to handle the fast little run at the end, that I got myself tangled up earlier on, and had a complete WTF? moment as I pulled a fast little riff out of who knows where to finish it off.     I'd love to figure out what I did, but it likely won't be repeatable, so oh well.   lol!

Fun fun fun.    (apologies for the awful drum machine)

6 hours ago, Bass Guy Dave said:

Okay,  made some time tonight to finally put down what i've got.

It's a little slow (as am I,) and since I tend to overthink, only took a few stabs at it after not playing it for a week or two (I think this was take 5.)

2nd Gen Phantom into a Tech21 TriAC. pedal thing  (meant to use my Yamaha THR10 I got  in the last year, but just used the tech 21 for guitar and the bass out of laziness.)  Someday I really want an 8-string, 'cause playing the octaves in that is kind of a pain, lol.

Summary:  Again, I had a friggin' blast.  I learned a bunch, and am even more amazed when people pull this kind of stuff off so effortlessly.    I had to laugh, as I was so concerned about how to handle the fast little run at the end, that I got myself tangled up earlier on, and had a complete WTF? moment as I pulled a fast little riff out of who knows where to finish it off.     I'd love to figure out what I did, but it likely won't be repeatable, so oh well.   lol!

Fun fun fun.    (apologies for the awful drum machine)

I really enjoyed that. Very nice. 

On 5/24/2016 at 9:08 AM, Ting Ho Dung said:

I really enjoyed that. Very nice. 

Thanks, Man!   It's weird listening back to it, as what Ty Tabor, and all the pro guys make seem so effortless, sounds horribly exposed listening back.    I got some great licks to borrow from it, and even more motivation to practice!

Sweet Dave --- that was some fine playing and you could tell that you really put in some time.  What's next?  Like that Phantom too!

I'm still working on my Stairway cover - It's out with a vocalist right now and I'm trying to see if I can find some samples for the recorder parts that are better than what i'm using.  I love the 2016 challenge idea --- hey - it's not too late folks - get in on it and get a project on the go. It really does pay-off.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't gong to post anything from my 2016 challenge until it was done. But I am so proud of this young man's effort in this I wanted to post his drum track. Please know that I told him, "Nothin' much, maybe a few Flam Taps." Little did I know that there were so many nuances. He caught them all. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got the chance to record this.  It's a bit choppy in places and I think I played this more smoothly a couple of months ago when i first transcribed it, but here it goes anyway.  I used iRealPro for the backing track (amazing app!).   Oh, it's the solo Jonathan Kreisberg plays on Autumn in NY (on his Night Songs album).   --mitch

I never disclosed my challenge, but this year I wanted to learn to groove. I'm progressing fine. By the end of the year I should have pretty functional funky chops under my belt. I'm working on that and I'm happy with my achievements so far.

Don't know however if it's too late to declare these goals here. I apologize. Somehow I overlooked this thread, thinking it had to do with not acquiring new guitars --a challenge I cannot take this year, as some of you have already noticed. :)

I've been on an Ace kick lately - well, usually, but worse than normal for the last couple months.  I've played around with this song for years, but could never convince myself it was worth doing w/o vocals.  Seeing Johh 5 convinced me that it was (I play just like John 5 - left hand on the neck, pick in the right hand, here endeth the similarities).

40 minutes ago, zorrow said:

I never disclosed my challenge, but this year I wanted to learn to groove. I'm progressing fine. By the end of the year I should have pretty functional funky chops under my belt. I'm working on that and I'm happy with my achievements so far.

Don't know however if it's too late to declare these goals here. I apologize. Somehow I overlooked this thread, thinking it had to do with not acquiring new guitars --a challenge I cannot take this year, as some of you have already noticed. :)

That's awesome Z.

I'm not the owner of this thread but should we call a deadline. It is a 2016 challenge so that would mean 2 minutes to midnight, December 31, 2016. hint hint. No that's not my song, just kidding. Not even the band. Well maybe not. 

On 2016-02-14 at 0:32 AM, JimiH said:

".....ear ache from the family 😀 while practicing over and over again my daughter said she wanted to smash my guitar over my head...."

I always use headphones... No-one gets hurt! :-)

Ok... I think I'm going to do a cover (i e new arrangement) of Nick Drake "Voices" - It might take a while so in the meantime listen to the fantastic song here. This video plays his original recording - one of the last songs he made....

- it is a very soft and nice song and I think I'm going to use electric guitars and going all Rock on it! :-)

(His version is perfect as it is so no need to try to get close or similar of it. Better trying to do my own thang...)

Hey guys -- as some of you know I'm doing Stairway for my challenge - and my vocalist has possibly dropped out (he was seriously injured in a car accident before the project started and was hoping to be able to participate but I fear he's too injured or too depressed dealing with the consequences of his injuries (which I think may have be devastating).  So I'm exploring plan B --- and am interested in hooking up with any vocalist that is capable of trying to pull off Stairway and has the ability to record a HQ vocal track.  I can share my tracks with anyone that wants to hear them before making any kind of overture or commitment but as a general note I can say with confidence that I'm doing a very faithful rendition of Stairway and plan to professionally mix and master this when I'm done (taking the project through to completion as a learning lab).  I'll work with anyone that thinks they can do it or wants to try - man or woman.  Many thanks. 

I'd love to try.  And if you find someone more capable( they are out there, no doubt). Don't hesitate to replace me.  

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: (Cross Posted From Outer Circle)

My original vocalist is just too disabled to tackle the song at this point so I was forced to look elsewhere.  One of the first places I came to for help was here and the HFC's own Mathman stepped up and did a vocal for me. His vocal was very very helpful as I had been working blind without one.  I used his vocal as a workprint to help me get a better balance instrumentally and wrestle with EQing the rest of the mix so there was room for vocals. Mathman's vocal was fun to work with and he fearlessly executed what has got to be one of the toughest vocals for a guy to even consider tackling.  Ann Wilson proved to the world that Robert Plant was uniquely inhuman as a male vocalist and that any male that still has both testicles attached to his body is going to meet that point in the song where even a late in life castration is not going to yield some of those notes. I'm happy to report that Mathman did hit the "still has at least one testicle wall" (which is probably good news for his partner). He did hit it much later than I did when I tried to lay down a scratch vocal (I think I hit the wall in the first verse) and I am very grateful for his help because without it I would have been stalled out completely with the mix itself which was hardly suitable to give to a vocalist at that point - it was very crowded.

With a better mixed prepped I was able to reach out locally here in Vancouver for singers (through my own network and craigslist of all places) and to my enormous surprise found 4 singers willing and able to commit to tracks.  The first two to get a hold of me were women.  What I'm posting here is the first (and the most amateur) of the two women. Her name is Michelle, and she's a complete amateur using I think her ipad/imac and garage band w/ a USB mic to record.  She gives a great performance for an amateur - a very relaxed and controlled vocal that gives the song a little more whimsy.  I wanted to post this as it's the first of the mixes I've taken through mixing and mastering.

Soundcloud compresses the hell out of MP3's and leaves all kinds of artifacts - so I'll also post a link to a 24 bit .wav file of the master

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6u61iehi5ofn35p/MasterStairwayMPV12b.wav?dl=0

The project is ongoing - I've three other vocalists to mix & master and I will be creating a website to feature the whole project from start to finish - but you guys have waited long enough (and I've been dying to post it).

Of course all I hear are flaws. Some of these tracks are 7 months old - the newest is the bass which I re-recorded after Mathman's vocal - the bass sucked on the tracks I gave him and his vocal helped me hear it.  But I'm happy and proud too.  So thanks to you guys for the encouragement, thanks to Mathman and others for advice and assistance - and enjoy.  My wife wants me to do Hotel California next -- I told her "No f'in way".... but Freebird? Hmmmmmmmm!

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 4:22 PM, Dasein said:

I'm still working on my Stairway cover - It's out with a vocalist right now and I'm trying to see if I can find some samples for the recorder parts that are better than what i'm using.  I love the 2016 challenge idea --- hey - it's not too late folks - get in on it and get a project on the go. It really does pay-off.

Do some volume swells, delayed or verbed up for the recorder.

Archived