Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - 0036

cynic

29 minutes ago, polara said:

How's it play?

It plays as good as anything else of similar quality I guess...I'm not crazy particular.  It feels...weird?  I've never felt a guitar so affected by the chambering.  I'm sure I won't notice it as much when standing, but it vibrates so much that when sitting I felt like my arm resting on it had to be dampening the sound.  I only spent a bit of time last night messing around clean at low levels on the neck pickup which is wonderful.

It's most definitely a sleeper in that it looks like a straight-ahead rock machine, but feels and sounds like something much more.

Fiddleback GLORY! That Ultimate is crazy beautiful...especially with the matching headstock. WOW!

congrats! Yes Grace Shlaboknik sounds wonderful and almost single-coilish! I find the body is resonant to the point where I need a new word....

ENJOY!

On 3/10/2016 at 8:46 AM, 0054 said:

How you digging it?

Quite a bit, but with a few minor criticisms.  As mentioned before, the neck pickup is just perfect for slow, sultry cleans and mildly overdriven settings which are very much my wheelhouse.  I rarely use the bridge pickup alone, but it's a great match for the bridge.  The middle position isn't doing it for me.  I don't remember reading it anywhere, but the pickups are OOP and with the low friction pots it's too difficult to make small adjustments on the fly to be useful for me.*  A string change is needed (D'Addario's feel immediately old to me) so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone when I get around to that.

The resonance really is unreal.  I'd really like to A/B the Shishkov with a chambered Standard to see if it's something inherent to chambered explorer style guitars or if it's unique to Shishkov.  There are members here who know so maybe they can answer that.  It still feels a ittle weird to me though.  I'm starting to believe I can hear a reduction in sustain if I place my hand on the face of the body in the same way a drum head can be muted by touch, but my mind is probably playing tricks.

The jury is still out on the neck.  It's very comfortable in the hand, but on the big side for me and I've had some numbness while playing.  Strap adjustments may fix that...we'll see.

None of the above can take away from the build quality, which is as good as anything I've seen.

* The middle position is now doing it for me in spades.  Thanks Mike and Josh for straightening this/me out :)

Archived