Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Apparently EVERYONE's ears are superior. WE ALL HEARD DIFFERENCES. You sure get your panties in a wad easily, don't you?

And you're new here, aren't you? lol

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Been banging around here with yuse guyz around a year and a half now? Time flies when your having fun...and then there's this thread lol.

well there is a rich history of cantankerousness exhibited by some of our members LOL . It's what we do!

25 minutes ago, murkat said:

If said guitar was a sunburst with full size humbuckers, one 22, other 24. the score(s) would be higher.

Using a guitar (SS) with a close magnetic field type pickup, (single coil or single coil size humbucker) will make the distinction harder to discern.

Example, My old Jackson fusion with a single coil size humbucker in the neck position can get really close to a tone of a 22 fret.

This ^^ ^^ ^^ mixed with what I said yesterday that we were going to get clips with compression, outboard/processing, etc. to make this crazy assessment.

I liked better the following variants:

Jam B

Groove B

Kal A

Latina A

Aspen A

So, whatever you used, for the clean parts the A variants sounded better, as they had more "chimey" to my ears; while on overdriven/soloing fragments, B variants sounded better to me --slightly "thicker" or "darker".

Now, which is 22 or 24 on each, that's a good question! :) I would however dare to suppose the 22-fret has a shorter scale, so I tend to think the 24-fret is always A in all your examples. I might be wrong though. :) 

10 minutes ago, zorrow said:

... I would however dare to suppose the 22-fret has a longer scale...

He stated both guitars were the same except for number of frets. That means the scale lengths are the same, the woods are the same, the pickups are the same, the electronics are the same etc... 

I don't know if my guesses were correct, but I definitely heard a difference between the 2, so I'm satisfied from that standpoint. And of course, this is just the isolated neck pickup. If you have an HH or SSS setup and you start doing pickup combinations then you will hear differences there as well. The differences I heard between the 2 were subtle. And that's not a surprise to me. Zeppelin I was recorded on a Tele, Another Brick in the Wall solo was a GT, etc...

-

Austin

1 minute ago, atquinn said:

He stated both guitars were the same except for number of frets. That means the scale lengths are the same, the woods are the same, the pickups are the same, the electronics are the same etc... 

I don't know if my guesses were correct, but I definitely heard a difference between the too, so I'm satisfied from that standpoint. And of course, this is just the isolated neck pickup. If you have an HH or SSS setup and you start doing pickup combinations then you will hear differences there as well. The differences I heard between the 2 were subtle. And that's not a surprise to me. Zeppelin I was recorded on a Tele, Another Brick in the Wall solo was a GT, etc...

-

Austin

OK, well... then I'm also happy, as both do sound different to my ears. :)

But, if he used the neck pup, then on the 24 it's probably closer to the bridge anyway, so I'll keep my verdict: A is always 24 on all the samples, as they all sounded brighter to me --though I admit I listened to each only once.

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

The number of Fred's doesn't make a difference on the scale length;   However, it does make a determination as to where the neck pick up sits on the body. The added two frets of a 24 fret  neck  take up space on the body which moves the placement of the neck pick up closer to the bridge pick up. 

I know, I know. I just used the data  available to us heuristically. ;)

8 minutes ago, atquinn said:

I don't know if my guesses were correct, but I definitely heard a difference between the 2, so I'm satisfied from that standpoint.

My guess on Groove was a complete shot in the dark...I couldn't tell a difference at all on it.  

While the test isn't really any measure of what it was intended to measure, I'm satisfied that we've all given SC a reason to feel more smug, and his smugness makes me laugh.

Yes, Cynic. I must say this thread and yesterday's precursor to it made the place feel like classic HFC and its shenanigans. Glad to be here.

1 minute ago, Jeff R said:

Yes, Cynic. I must say this thread and yesterday's precursor to it made the place feel like classic HFC and its shenanigans. Glad to be here.

LOL, yep, just like 2004! good times

11 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

As we an see from the varied responses, it's not that easy to tell the difference and that is the point.   If 22 is superior, you should hear that superiority in each clip, easily, as easily as you know this:

pink_clouds.jpg

is pink, and that this:

Yellow-Apple.jpg

is yellow   

I see a hint of orange and some fuchsia. 

6 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

When you "prefer" something, it means you find that option "superior" to the alternatives.  You claim 22 fret guitars "sound" better, but in a blind test you're not able to substantiate that claim.   Maybe you hate the 1980s and the 24 fret culture that came from it, but you weren't able to support your position on hearing alone.   

Allow me to toss a couple more "excuses" onto the pile:

1. You suggested a 95% success rating in a blindfold test. Anyone who got 80% is "close enough for rock and roll" and the lot of us might actually get closer to that number if there were more than 5 choices.

2. Based on what we know of your personality, it's highly probable that you are not divulging the correct results due to an absolute inability to admit you're wrong. An impartial judge would be ideal in this exercise.

6 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

When you "prefer" something, it means you find that option "superior" to the alternatives.  You claim 22 fret guitars "sound" better, but in a blind test you're not able to substantiate that claim.   Maybe you hate the 1980s and the 24 fret culture that came from it, but you weren't able to support your position on hearing alone.   

If that's what you were testing for, it would have made more sense to just have people pick which one they thought sounded best and then tally up the results. Then you would have an idea of (in this specific situation) if listener's preferred 22 or 24 frets. Otherwise it seems like you're make an assumption that people who prefer 22 fret guitars are guessing that the sound sample they preferred was 22 frets?

-

Austin

1 minute ago, atquinn said:

If that's what you were testing for, it would have made more sense to just have people pick which one they thought sounded best and then tally up the results. Then you would have an idea of (in this specific situation) if listener's preferred 22 or 24 frets. Otherwise it seems like you're make an assumption that people who prefer 22 fret guitars are guessing that the sound sample they preferred was 22 frets?

-

Austin

More excuses.

Archived