Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sushkov #0001!

gorch

As with all guitars of such a high price, it would be nice to try it out before critiquing its features.  Walnut is supposed to be good for backs and sides of acoustics.  On solid body instruments it might make a difference, but if it does we would all be reading about the wonderful sonic properties of walnut tops. 

I had a Ric 650 with a mostly walnut body with a maple neck through. 

Walnut rocked in that bad boy. Wide neck, jumbo frets, hot pickups. 

Plus walnut is really pretty.

Walnut is underrated for many uses...many a walnut gun rack has come from High School woodworking classes, it deserves better.  Walnut is plentiful, easy to work with, stable, finishes well, looks nice, and is not as horribly expensive as some hardwoods.  I wouldn't mind having a good walnut-wood solidbody or semi-solid guitar!  ^_^

I guess they couldn't figure out how to make the bridge and tailpiece look like wood! 

I've owned three walnut guitars.  One semi-hollow and two solid.  As in other guitars built from wood that doesn't agree with me, a change of pickups once or twice and myriad other expensive modifications just didn't help.  It's been so long, I can't remember why.  I just know there won't be anymore solid maple, walnut, basswood, or wood that was under water for decades or more for me (bodies specifically).  I think it's my love for mahogany, alder, korina and ash.  I don't think it's "snobbery".  I can hear the difference.  And don't get me started about necks!

On 28/07/2016 at 3:32 PM, veatch said:

That inlay looks like a tattoo. 

And not in a good way...

Tramp Stamp

• 5 months later...

Since my last post on this topic, I picked up this little item:

Not only does it sound great, but it SMELLS great, too (the exterior of the guitar has a finish that seals the wood, but the interior doesn't)!  Cut Walnut has a nice spicy aroma, or at least it does on this guitar.  ^_^

Shishkov #0001 > Shushkov #0001

Not even a contest.

17 hours ago, scottcald said:

If only it had a walnut pickup switch tip.  

Same for bridge and tailpiece right?

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

Indeed! and the input jack and pots.

Just right!

Archived