Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MCChris

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

When Mike sends you an email with photos of your guitar being built, it gets you jazzed because you feel like you're included in the build process.
Seeing a video of your guitar being built is so many levels above that, I don't even have the words.

And by hand, no less!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, LarryUK said:

Could you do this to a Les Paul? Would it weaken it? 

Do what?

46 minutes ago, veatch said:

I'm guessing the neck heel.  

No, you could not do this to the neck joint on a Les Paul. 

Is there a difference in the LP Axcess neck tenon that allows contouring where it wouldn't on a LP?  

There's a Nik Huber Orca floating around that's had its heel contoured and it feels solid.

IMG_1605_zps14e7et6m.jpg

Cynic - Correct, i likely expressed myself poorly...

If you were to build a Les Paul style guitar and used a joint like Mike or Hamer or Nik use, yes, you could shape the heel.  But the tenon in a Gibson Les Paul i don't think would turn out this clean.  Mike's neck joints are tight all around.  I just grabbed an image off of Google for "Les Paul neck tenon" and this was a good example:

Neck-Tenon-Length-Comparison.jpg

All of those little spaces will result in a crappy looking heel.  That's why Gibson has the little shelf - to cover their sins.

So - if the question is, can a Les Paul be built with a sculpted heel - yes.  If the question is can you do this to a(n existing) Les Paul, i'd say no.

And my apologies for derailing the thread.  Back on point - #0058 is going to be a monsta guitar. 

Edit to add: Below is a pic comparing a custom shop with a standard US made LP - the Custom Shop looks like the real deal, and you might be able to sculpt it, but i wouldn't based upon the other images...

Neck_Joint_US_vs_Cust-Mod.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some guitar you got going there, Muse. Cannot wait to see it cleared and buffed. 

Red tiger....or whatever you and Mike are calling it.

This guitar, like all the others, begs the question: why aren't all the celebrity, heavy-hitter players...famous guitarists....PLAYING SHISHKOV???

'Tis only a matter of time.

Archived