Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Acoustic Guitar

A guy I know from work and I were discussing Hamer guitars the other day.................he had not heard much about them having only owned Gibson acoustics and playing mostly folk. He asked a question I had no answer for. Did Hamer ever make a actual acoustic guitar? Given the crazy skills these guys had they were certainly capable.

Closest I could think of would be the imported "Jazz 5", which is electric of course, but does (IMO) have a decent archtop "voice". MIK, so not unlike the various Gibson clones pumped out under the Epiphone name. It would be interesting to see what it turned into with upgraded electronics, but I have not wanted to bother.

4 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I thought we were supposed to ever say "never" when it comes to Hamer. 

No.

Never.

I have seen an electic mandolin they made for Jethro Tulll (ca 1980)

That's the closest i've seen... apart from the semi acoustic Improv.

57 minutes ago, fractal said:

I was always under the impression that some of the Hamer folk did some Guild acoustics while Guild was there.  No?

IIRC, I remember seeing something here on the HFC a few years ago, about some of the Hamer guys getting conscripted to 'help out' on the Guild side of the FMIC house when both were still in New Hartford.  It doesn't necessarily make Guilds into Hamers IMO, as they were made in the Guild shop under Guild supervision and labeled Guild, but it's still good to know.  The topic might be in the HFC saved archives somewhere.

Hamer guys worked on the Guild and Fender Acoustic Custom shop acoustics. However they were held hostage by the processes put in place by the powers that be.  They were not in the same class quality wise as a USA Hamer.

Archived