Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking for Hamer Expert to repair on a DuoTone

RBG

I worked for Kaman Music/KMC for 35 years and while I was there I had ordered a Monaco DuoTone with upgraded ebony board and triple body binding (See photo).   I ordered it with a Natural top and Vintage Natural on the back & neck to give the mahogany a little color.  I worked with Joel Danzig who personally picked mahogany body for extra lightness.  At the time, Joel thought this was the only Monaco Duotone made.

I own three other Monaco guitars and played this one the least....it looks brand new.  

Problem:  the acoustic output has developed a ground hum that I can't get rid of (it hums loud if you are not touching the strings).

I took to one repair guy who thought it was the acoustic pick up...he replaced...still hums and doesn't sound as good as original (and the original was cut so I'm not sure if it can be reinstalled).  I took to a second guitar repair guy who tied everything he know but could not get rid of the hum.   It's definitely grounded....but it still hums.

Does anyone in the Fan Club know of a true Hamer expert repair tech to understands the Duotone system who might be able to help me.

RBG

Duotone.jpg

Check with Mike Shishkov or one of the other Hamer guys here.  Doesn't sound complex, but I would've tried the wiring and jack before the pickup as suspects.

Consult one of the experts (Mike Shishkov, BCR Greg) but....  The replacement pickup doesn't sound as good because the original was a coaxial type, not a flat type.  I've seen a couple of the hum problems due to a bad string ground, one end of which connects to one of the string ferrules, since the bridge is useless for such a ground.

5 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

Consult one of the experts (Mike Shishkov, BCR Greg) but....  The replacement pickup doesn't sound as good because the original was a coaxial type, not a flat type.  I've seen a couple of the hum problems due to a bad string ground, one end of which connects to one of the string ferrules, since the bridge is useless for such a ground.

Is grounding one string ferrule sufficient? I'd think you need to get them all in that ground circuit. The ferrules are six isolated pieces and the saddle is I assume non-conductive. Only ground one ferrule and you still have five left out of that chain zzzzzzzing.

That is cool. I hope you can get that sorted and enjoy it the way it was meant to be.

RBG,

Put me in line behind Kiz that is freaking awesome!

Best wishes,

Hamerica

It might be a ground loop on the AC end. I use a ground lift on my acoustic amp plug that also has the polarity wings clipped.

For my church gig set-up: from the electric jack to pedal board to amp; from acoustic jack to acoustic amp. No hum! Without the ground-lift on the acoustic amp plug-HUM.

Since there hasn't been a problem before, there is no reason for change of the wiring and system as a whole. Ground problems appear when either soldering suffers under vibration from playing or one of the components otherwise has lost ground connection or otherwise ground has been interrupted.

Separating the circuits helps to identify the faulty circuit in general. 2nd step then to individually check any of the parts involved for working ground connection.

There could also be a problem with your amp! Did you check the guitar on another amp?
Consider guitar and amp as one system.

Cool guitar. I love when oddball stuff you never saw before pops up.

If you set it on a guitar stand in front of a karoke screen so it can see the lyrics, maybe it won't hum?

Elduave also ordered a Monaco Superpro Duotone - we called it the Monotone, and it was BADASSED.

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Elduave also ordered a Monaco Superpro Duotone - we called it the Monotone, and it was BADASSED.

I wanna see pics of that one now, please! PLEASE! :)

Archived