Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pedalboard Pron

bubs_42

Bump just 'cause i just finished rewiring the gig board..  Amazing number of pedals for as little as i use them.  The Mjolnir is on most of the time, the Timmy is on during solos with the solo boost (right button of the ghetto pedal to the left of the Timmy.  Most else is as need for the songs we do.  Adding the Zendrive gets into face melting territory.  :)

NYC2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the last gig I am ready to commit to whats on the board. So I started searching out pre made boards like the one above, but after a lot of back and fourth wavering I have decided to build yet another board. This time i'm going to give it a shot to looks as professional as I can. Materials are incoming and i'll post pictures of the project. 

• 1 month later...

OK, so I committed to what I have on the board. It has a been a long journey since November. I tried like hell to replace the Visual Sound Tremolo, but nope its just that damn good. I also swapped out the brick with a Voodoo Labs Power Supply. I built my own board using a board, aluminum channel, and drum wrap for the top. 3 Monkeys Solderess DC (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) , George L's Cables (I was already invested and have stock). Then to top it off, I didn't what to just keep throwing it in the car and hope I didn't drop it or mess up my pedals going in and out of the cold. So before mounted the pedals, I searched for a case. I found this Mixer Case brand new $100 Shipped, I ended up shaving off a little of the length of the board to make it fit. Now I just have to go over to Menards and get a few sticky cable wraps to tidy things up. 

I once had one of those Gator Large Pedalboards with the full case. I carried that freaking thing one time and said NO WAY, it was just too heavy. Now this board in the case is a light as my little combo amps. Its a big win and I'm going to plug the 3 Monkeys Solderless one more time. It was SUPER EASY, ZERO FAILURES, and now I don't have  a shit load of extra cable to wrap and tuck. 

uLQ1aGF.jpg

kP1dakO.jpgHard to get a shot without guitar parts and or Tools in the shot! LOL

One more thing, when I get back to work tomorrow i'm going to make 2 button risers for the pedals in the back. I have the material and setscrews to make them. 

On 1/7/2018 at 12:37 PM, bubs_42 said:

OK, so I committed to what I have on the board. It has a been a long journey since November. I tried like hell to replace the Visual Sound Tremolo, but nope its just that damn good. I also swapped out the brick with a Voodoo Labs Power Supply. I built my own board using a board, aluminum channel, and drum wrap for the top. 3 Monkeys Solderess DC (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) , George L's Cables (I was already invested and have stock). Then to top it off, I didn't what to just keep throwing it in the car and hope I didn't drop it or mess up my pedals going in and out of the cold. So before mounted the pedals, I searched for a case. I found this Mixer Case brand new $100 Shipped, I ended up shaving off a little of the length of the board to make it fit. Now I just have to go over to Menards and get a few sticky cable wraps to tidy things up. 

I once had one of those Gator Large Pedalboards with the full case. I carried that freaking thing one time and said NO WAY, it was just too heavy. Now this board in the case is a light as my little combo amps. Its a big win and I'm going to plug the 3 Monkeys Solderless one more time. It was SUPER EASY, ZERO FAILURES, and now I don't have  a shit load of extra cable to wrap and tuck. 

uLQ1aGF.jpg

kP1dakO.jpgHard to get a shot without guitar parts and or Tools in the shot! LOL

One more thing, when I get back to work tomorrow i'm going to make 2 button risers for the pedals in the back. I have the material and setscrews to make them. 

Cool! So, those power cables are solderless, like the inst. cables? 

Also, question about the Pitchblack, and it powering the MXR...does it not require 450 ma into in order to work properly? I recall it being a high amount, higher than my power supply had on a 9v tap. 

What's the Puretone thing? Oh, and the silver box beside it?

33 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Cool! So, those power cables are solderless, like the inst. cables? 

Also, question about the Pitchblack, and it powering the MXR...does it not require 450 ma into in order to work properly? I recall it being a high amount, higher than my power supply had on a 9v tap. 

What's the Puretone thing? Oh, and the silver box beside it?

So the 3 Monkeys DC are solderless just like pedalboard patch cables. If I had not been invested in George L's I would have when with the 3 Monkeys solderless for patch cables as well. I put these together and didn't have one failure. I had to work my way backward threw the signal path to redo some of the George L's. I just had to make some of the really short ones a tad longer to ease up the stress. 

Pitchblack: I wanted to go mini but it did not have the extra tap out and since i'm running 9 pedals I needed the extra Patch. The draw on the MXR Chorus is only 43MA so no issues at all. 

Puretone: This is the Visual Sound Buffer that is in all of their pedals. They used to make this (Still do) but then they started putting it in the pedals. 

Silver Box: I need an I/O (IN AND OUT) Box since i'm a left foot wah player. I bough 4 jacks and the box off of ebay, wired it up and attached it. 

Guitar, I/O, Wah, Pitchblack, Echo Puss, Saucy HC, Saucy, Tremolo, Chorus, MXR Boost to Buffer. I had to compromise for space and wiring so the buffer is last, I do prefer to run the Booster last. It all sounds great, just as it did on the old board, so i'm pretty happy. I opted out of putting a Comp on the board for One space, and Two that actual amount I would use it. 

Board is 12x 23.875. It would have fit at 24 but I wanted to keep all of the padding in.  So I fuzzed a bit off the end. 

Very cool. I’ve been interested in the lava version. I’ve had perfect luck with their Tightrope solderless set, so think I’ll give them a go on the power cables. Now just to find a dealer here who carries them. 

10 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Very cool. I’ve been interested in the lava version. I’ve had perfect luck with their Tightrope solderless set, so think I’ll give them a go on the power cables. Now just to find a dealer here who carries them. 

I have had good luck with the Lava cables. The coil cords are fun in a vintage way, but I tend to like the Ultramafic best. Think about getting on their "mailing list" as they have direct sale discounts regularly. However, I think the latest (40% off) is going to be their last one until, maybe, 4th of July.

Just now, django49 said:

I have had good luck with the Lava cables. The coil cords are fun in a vintage way, but I tend to like the Ultramafic best. Think about getting on their "mailing list" as they have direct sale discounts regularly. However, I think the latest (40% off) is going to be their last one until, maybe, 4th of July.

Cool! Thank you. I will do that. I can wait ‘til July...probably.

1 hour ago, Sugartune said:

I won't knock Lava, but the 3 Monkeys requires no stripping of wire or separating of ground. You cut the wire, and screw the end on. DONE! That part of the board was the easiest and fastest part of the whole board. 

14 hours ago, veatch said:

Wish i knew about the 3 monkeys power cables when I redid my board.  I want to redo my power cables now... :)

Nice work, Sean!

Thanks, I need to take a picture of the finished product. I put 3 3/8 cable clamps on the board to tidy up the longer runs. I'm happy with the end result, plus I did it myself and it works. :)

You guys are killing me, I just didn't have the room for an Aqua puss without adding a second deck. It may happen down the road, but I didn't need it for gigging. @mudshark that Tremolo is my second favorite of all time and the CS-2 is kick but for holding that one really great note! 

• 4 months later...

Pitch black mini into the Quartermaster looper with; J.rockett Hooligan (fuzz) >D&M Drive split with each side running independently, Mick side first >Moon Phaser our to the Echosystem with RC Booster last

Covers all ground I need. The spot where the Hooligan is my “play spot”, to try out other pedals without messing with my whole setup too much. 

A0625201-4C46-49A9-B9FB-5A179310DFDA.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Pitch black mini into the Quartermaster looper with; J.rockett Hooligan (fuzz) >D&M Drive split with each side running independently, Mick side first >Moon Phaser our to the Echosystem with RC Booster last

Covers all ground I need. The spot where the Hooligan is my “play spot”, to try out other pedals without messing with my whole setup too much. 

A0625201-4C46-49A9-B9FB-5A179310DFDA.jpeg

Those who saw my Loopmaster rant, might notice that I didn't end up with a Loopmaster. Traded a Keeley 30ms straight up for the quartermaster. That was a happy opportunity. It seems weird to say, but by adding the looper, it just simplifies everything and makes it cleaner sounding. I still don't know how to use the echosystem anywhere near it's fullest potential, but it's a lot of fun. I'm hoping this will be a static setup. No more total changeovers. Just the Hooligan spot, but I don't think I'm a fuzz guy, so...OCD or DLS? I don't know. Gotta leave room for at least one small opportunity for obsession. There it is ;)

• 1 month later...

I've got way too many pedals but I only like 5 or so on a board at any given time.  I found a good deal on a couple of these small boards made by Roadiemade out of Nashville, and split up the "Keeper" pedals into two small boards.  I could get thru a whole set with either of them, and I've been just grabbing one or the other lately, but using them together opens a bunch of options.  One has a Cioks AC10 psu underneath, the other has a TrueTone CS6.  The TrueTone power line is really great.  Tons of current, lightweight and affordable, totally noise-free.  Each board gets powered with a regular 3-prong drop cord.

T9NmVgq.jpg

9quQk3P.jpg

XjybzyL.jpg

My daughter (7 at the time) and I took it on as a project that I did not expect to turn out so well.  She was looking to jazz up her scooter and I found a whole series of graphic grip tape strips on Amazon, the nebula pattern was from a company called Envy.  They make all types, I saw this one that could be a nod to Hamer...

41aPOjxdCnL.jpg

Anyway, I suggested we try to mod one of my volume pedals with it, and the existing rubber pad on that Ernie Ball MVP peeled right off.  I told Rainey (daughter) to find the part of the image she thought would look cool, and she lined it up, and stuck the recently peeled treadle pad onto the back of the grip tape strip (the rubber part was still sticky with adhesive), then cut around it with scissors.  we peeled the grip tape from the backing and put it where the rubber pad had been.  Took about 10 minutes and less than $10.

1 hour ago, RobB said:

What is the “four cable method?” Does it mean using two amps?

It's for use with an amp that has an FX loop- the idea is that some effects like dirt or compression remain in front of the amp, while other effects (namely delays, reverbs, time-based stuff) goes in the amp's loop, after the preamp.  It's called that because four cables are used. 🙄

https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/4-cable-method-4cm

Got it. I used to do something similar with a Soldano HR50, using the line out to the time-based fx to a separate power amp/cab, and wah and booster in front. Now I know what it is called. 

It didn’t sound appreciably better than everything in front so I ditched that setup. Too much gear and too complicated. 

7 hours ago, soli'd said:

My daughter (7 at the time) and I took it on as a project that I did not expect to turn out so well.  She was looking to jazz up her scooter and I found a whole series of graphic grip tape strips on Amazon, the nebula pattern was from a company called Envy.  They make all types, I saw this one that could be a nod to Hamer...

Cool - I recently found a broken Digitech XP100 that I hope to fix and turn into a XPALL. Cosmetically its pretty rough so new paint is in its future which means I will have to peel the grip tape off and put something new on. One of those may be just the ticket.

11 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

Cool - I recently found a broken Digitech XP100 that I hope to fix and turn into a XPALL. Cosmetically its pretty rough so new paint is in its future which means I will have to peel the grip tape off and put something new on. One of those may be just the ticket.

I had to look this up, you have now opened a rabbit hole that I will have to follow thru to the end. Thanks for the future project! And yes, custom grip tape will be involved. 😎

Archived