Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2017 Challenge

JimiH

Happy new year everyone

It's that time of year for the challenge 

For those interested Pick a song/solo/technique you don't currently know. learn it and post it here sometime in 2017.

I'm going to spend a lot less time on learning solos and increasing how fast I can play shit and move towards playing songs. When I say songs I mean songs arranged for just the guitar. I'm sick of picking up the guitar and regurgitating the same riffs and solos over and over again. Listened to a lot of Joe bonnamassa last year which led to YouTube and Joe talking about Danny Gatton which led to travis picking and Merle himself 😀

That's the stuff I'm going to focus on this year. Hope to post a few songs on here before 2017 is out 👍

Hopefully get a telecaster too 🤔

Let me know you goals for this years challenge

Cheers

Geoff

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hbom said:

After learning all the notes on the E strings in '16, I'm hoping to do  the same with the A string this year.

I initially laughed then I thought that's not such a bad idea 🤔

26 minutes ago, JimiH said:

I initially laughed then I thought that's not such a bad idea 🤔

They're the same only start with A!

My partner and I are doing a live recreation of Les Paul and Mary Fords overdub hits from the early 50s. That's 3 guitarist and 3 female vocalist plus bass and drums. I think we can pull it off. My official entry is Tiger Rag

My personal 2017 challenge is 2 new original albums this year....one  blues and one rock and roll. They may be collaborative or they may be solo....regardless, they will be all original guitar-based tunes.....we'll see....

36 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

My personal 2017 challenge is 2 new original albums this year....one  blues and one rock and roll. They may be collaborative or they may be solo....regardless, they will be all original guitar-based tunes.....we'll see....

I definitely want to stay tuned, MR!

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

After enjoying Good Morning Marshall Avenue yesterday. I'm already excited to hear about these.

My secret dream is to line up a gig (which would be the first since about '91 for me). I'd probably be a guest artist and sit in with a friend's band. I want to continue to build my songwriting and production chops - and continue rehabbing my fretting hand as best I can. I eliminated sugar 100% from my diet this year and it had a positive effect on my playing - less pain and numbness in my hands allowing for longer periods playing before I claw up.  I also want to drop about 30 lbs (in case I do get that gig) because I'm vain,

As for recording projects - I'm not sure yet about my 2017 challenge -- I'll continue marinating on it. I definitely want to feature my playing if I can.  I thought of doing some Yes stuff but I like the idea of working something up that I could perform (with vocals) either solo or with a band so that consideration might come to play.

As I am already responsible for learning the rhythm and/or the lead parts to various cover songs the band adds to the set list, it's not practical for me to add to that workload. However, I will offer up the following alternative:

My new year's resolution was/is to finally get the original songs I've been kicking around, for like, forever, out and finalized. To that end, I've started (once again) to assemble willing collaborators/co-conspirators. The end results will be posted here in lieu of covering someone else's tune. 

Is this acceptable?

I hope the following will qualify:

I wrote a metal song last year and also arranged a classical piano piece for metal guitar. I'm for once very satisfied with the results, so this year I would want to record both. However, given I no longer have big artistic aspirations on my own, I will collaborate with a couple of professional musicians I know. They will put the pieces on record and I would simply guest on them.

So, if this qualifies, I'll keep you posted. :)

Cheers!

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

As I am already responsible for learning the rhythm and/or the lead parts to various cover songs the band adds to the set list, it's not practical for me to add to that workload. However, I will offer up the following alternative:

My new year's resolution was/is to finally get the original songs I've been kicking around, for like, forever, out and finalized. To that end, I've started (once again) to assemble willing collaborators/co-conspirators. The end results will be posted here in lieu of covering someone else's tune. 

Is this acceptable?

Of course 👍

2 hours ago, zorrow said:

I hope the following will qualify:

I wrote a metal song last year and also arranged a classical piano piece for metal guitar. I'm for once very satisfied with the results, so this year I would want to record both. However, given I no longer have big artistic aspirations on my own, I will collaborate with a couple of professional musicians I know. They will put the pieces on record and I would simply guest on them.

So, if this qualifies, I'll keep you posted. :)

Cheers!

Bring it on ✊️

I didn't completely finish the 2016 challenge.  I did it but I planned to do the solo better but the end of the year ended with eye surgery and that put a kabosh on a lot of things!

So, my challenge for 2017 is to finally complete and finish a set of originals and produce an album.  I've posted many of the songs over the years here and I hope to clean them up, mix and master and produce the album by this summer's end.

I've just started working on a strange little project - I'm going to learn the A side of Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" album.  No one ever talks about anything other than the behemoth title track, but there are five cool, psychedelic pop songs on there.  They're different from my usual style; no subtle shades of effects.  The guitar is either clean or totally fuzzed out.  Which guitar I play doesn't even matter - they all sound the same through that pedal. 

Erik Braunn's parts are not the jangly post-punk I ordinarily play.  His chord progressions are more jazzy and his leads sort of classical compared to the worn out pentatonic rut in which I'm stuck.  So, I've abandoned (temporarily) my very '80s chorus/flanger/delay-laden pedalboard, stripped down to my Fuzzrite clone and a Boss "Fender" reverb pedal, and just about mastered "Most Anything You Want".  One down, four to go.

Just met the other day with gorch and he told me about the yearly challenge. I am kind of an odd time lurker so I missed that in the past years. Could you explain a little more what the Challenge is about? 

Is it meant to help people to take practice more seriously by putting some social pressure on them via this forum? Or is it a friendly competition between forum members? Would people need to demonstrate the results of their challenge or is it enough to report success?

18 minutes ago, 901gtr said:

Just met the other day with gorch and he told me about the yearly challenge. I am kind of an odd time lurker so I missed that in the past years. Could you explain a little more what the Challenge is about? 

Is it meant to help people to take practice more seriously by putting some social pressure on them via this forum? Or is it a friendly competition between forum members? Would people need to demonstrate the results of their challenge or is it enough to report success?

Here is the link to the first one (2016). And you found this one. The previous challenges were things like not buying a guitar all year. Which I guess I could have won in 2016 for the first time and we didn't have it, lol. 

On 1/8/2017 at 4:00 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Here is the link to the first one (2016). And you found this one. The previous challenges were things like not buying a guitar all year. Which I guess I could have won in 2016 for the first time and we didn't have it, lol. 

You Win!!

On 04/01/2017 at 4:27 PM, diablo175 said:

Is this acceptable?

Of course 👍

Archived