Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD/NHC - Epi Bonamassa Firebird l

tmsfo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EDF1PGNH

Not the exact guitar, but you'll get the idea.  I had reservations about buying a Chinese guitar, but I'll never put the dough together to get an original FB l - a guitar that's been haunting me since I saw the cover of Kiss Alive in 1975.  I gotta tell you, I'm impressed - the finish is perfect, it sounds great and even balances better that the dual pickup models, even with the clunkier banjo tuners.  The few non-custom shop Gibson's I've picked up and noodled with lately did not impress me at all.  And don't think that I'm trying to destroy the American economy - I'm Shishkov Ultimate 0042.... :)

1 minute ago, Dave Scepter said:

bo0MSB9.jpg

Two thumbs up! :P

That's the MAN, back before he was whoring himself out to Gibson/Ibanez/Washburn/Silvertone/Whoever.  I think he actually paid for his Hamers.

I've read mixed reviews on those - from awesome, to downright unplayable and returned immediately.

I've been tempted, since I've been so long without a 'Bird, but I'd be modding the hell out of it anyway if I DID get one.

50 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've read mixed reviews on those - from awesome, to downright unplayable and returned immediately.

I've been tempted, since I've been so long without a 'Bird, but I'd be modding the hell out of it anyway if I DID get one.

The action was a bit high for my taste, but I've lowered it and there's no sign of inconsistent fretwork.  The tuners are also a bit stiff but that's probably to be expected.  Since QA is done by the same people who do US QA for Gibson I can't say I'm surprised that some duds might have slipped through.

Congrats!  I agree, Epi has stepped up their game in the last couple years and are making some great "bang for your buck' instruments.

Enjoy!

Mine came in Saturday before last. Action & playability were very nice right out of the box.  Intonation was spot on.  Same couldn't be said for my '05 Gibson FB VII, sad to say.  Tuners are stiff, catchy pieces of crap.  They made me appreciate the stock banjo tuners on the Gibson, and I think those are pretty unremarkable.  Pickup sounds good, I'd say like an angry Tele.  It's bright & snappy, not as crunchy as P90s or buckers, but nice nonetheless.  Pots were less than amazing, so they've been swapped for a set from RS Guitarworks, plus a new cap.  The guitar is very light in comparison to the FB Vii.   It's $800 well spent IMO, and quick 'n dirty way to scratch the FB I itch without paying Gibson CS prices.

8 hours ago, Hackubus said:

Mine came in Saturday before last. Action & playability were very nice right out of the box.  Intonation was spot on.  Same couldn't be said for my '05 Gibson FB VII, sad to say.  Tuners are stiff, catchy pieces of crap.  They made me appreciate the stock banjo tuners on the Gibson, and I think those are pretty unremarkable.  Pickup sounds good, I'd say like an angry Tele.  It's bright & snappy, not as crunchy as P90s or buckers, but nice nonetheless.  Pots were less than amazing, so they've been swapped for a set from RS Guitarworks, plus a new cap.  The guitar is very light in comparison to the FB Vii.   It's $800 well spent IMO, and quick 'n dirty way to scratch the FB I itch without paying Gibson CS prices.

Which cap value did you go with?  I bought the gold version and absolutely love it.  I lowered the bridge a little and it's just a killer guitar IMO but I too plan to change out the pots and cap.  The neck shape is beyond awesome and the fretwork is impeccable.

IMG_5236.jpg

Still tempted...

Too many irons in the fire to go down another alley right now, but...

What's the back of the headstock look like? Are their serial numbers applied or arranged differently?
I expect a few of these with "Gibson" truss rod covers to show up for sale/auction soon.

13 hours ago, jisham said:

Which cap value did you go with?  I bought the gold version and absolutely love it.  I lowered the bridge a little and it's just a killer guitar IMO but I too plan to change out the pots and cap.  The neck shape is beyond awesome and the fretwork is impeccable.

IMG_5236.jpg

I went for the gold too!  I forgot to mention how much I'm digging the neck on this guitar.  

I put the RS LP Jr Modern kit in mine.  The cap looks like this:

rs-guitarcap_-022_grande.png?v=144194713

Kiz:  The SN is stamped, ten digit number centered above the D & G tuners.  Not a sticker or printed.  I don't know if that's common or not with Epiphones.   When I have a moment, I'll take a pic of the back of the HS compared to my FB Vii's HS. 

7 hours ago, Hackubus said:

Kiz:  The SN is stamped, ten digit number centered above the D & G tuners.  Not a sticker or printed.  I don't know if that's common or not with Epiphones.   When I have a moment, I'll take a pic of the back of the HS compared to my FB Vii's HS. 

So, like a Gibson.  

Is it stamped "Made In China" (or wherever they're made)?

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

So, like a Gibson.  

Is it stamped "Made In China" (or wherever they're made)?

JB's signature is screened on the back of the headstock and yes, made in China -- I removed that sticker LOL.  I'm at work but found this pic online:

bona-bird-details.jpg

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

Thanks, Jaye.

It needs a straight across, (non-intonated) bar tailpiece.

Easy mod LOL.  All I know is that it sounds great, the neck is so so fine and the build quality is top notch.  I agree the tuners are really weird to use though.

Just now, jisham said:

Easy mod LOL.  All I know is that it sounds great, the neck is so so fine and the build quality is top notch.

Great!  I'll open up a spot on my wall for it!

Always loved the shape. This post reminds me to get out my Hamer FB II again. The neck profile is completely different than my Cali and Chap or even this Epi here, but it is still playable for me. Haven't plugged that guitar into the Prosonic with the Mesa Flux Five yet, neither into the Mesa Mark V. It's time to try out... "Still Alive And Well". :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got mine yesterday after 4 months on the waiting list to get a Tobacco Sunburst one. I can tell you it was worth the wait. I'm blown away on how well crafted it is ... love everything about it ... finish, fretwork ... pickup sounds great and the neck is perfect. Epiphone has really stepped up their game on this one ...

Archived