Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Double LP Deluxes, Robo/Gorham. This is the best.

Disturber

I just watched this. Bloody awesome. When Phil comes in with the warewolf mask it's just awesome!

Watch Robo's face. This is life & death, no holding back.

They both play their 73/74 LP Deluxes. The two LPs I grew up hearing. To me the tones they squeeze out of these guitars are the ultimate LP tones ever. From Deluxes(!) with maple necks, and with mini buckers. Totally unbelivable. Who needs a 50's LP (or a new Custom Shop for that matter) when you can sound like this on a Norlin.

My band mate has a 73/74 LP Deluxe Gold Top just like theirs, I had it here at home for two weeks recently. Did a little set up on it an such. It is very bright. I don't understand how Robo get such meaty tones out of his bridge pickup. Just listen to the solo on Still in Love With You.

More unbelivable is how he handles the wah wah with such perfection, with platform boots. I think I will sell my gear now, I'm done...

11 minutes ago, unfun75 said:

"For Those Who Love to Live" is one of my favorite TL songs. Awesome to hear/see a live version. BTW, the drums sound great on this recording. Just like the record.

Brian Downey is a fantastic drummer, with those jazzy fills and the loose but dead on it style he has. Breaks my heart everytime I hear him on Thunder & Lightning, where he was forced to play like any ordinary dumb 80's metal drummer. Such a total waste of musical talent.

47 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Brian Downey is a fantastic drummer, with those jazzy fills and the loose but dead on it style he has. Breaks my heart everytime I hear him on Thunder & Lightning, where he was forced to play like any ordinary dumb 80's metal drummer. Such a total waste of musical talent.

Not a big fan of TAL. I don't like Lizzy as a metal band. My least fav record of theirs. 

23 minutes ago, RobB said:

Not a big fan of TAL. I don't like Lizzy as a metal band. My least fav record of theirs. 

Very much my least favourite Lizzy album. Can't stand Sykes tourettes playing either. Every place where there normaly would be great Lizzy melodies and phrasings, in the songs, he just thrashes throwing out 1000 notes a second.  

There is a deluxe version on Spotify of the album with the demo versions. The demo versions are much more enjoyable. 

35 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Whaaaaaaat!?!?!?... Hi my name is Scott Travis, Simon Phillips, Denny Carmassi, Cozy Powell, Neil Peart... I'm just a dumb ordinary 80's metal drummer... :unsure:

Never even heard of Simon Philips before, I see that he plays with Toto, that might just explain why. The other three I would consider drummers with their roots in the 70's. I like some of Cozy's stuff, and everything Neil Peart has done, period. Im comparing more to concrete log choppers like Tommy Aldridge, and guys with similar un groovy style that ruled the 80's. There were a few great ones too, Tommy Lee and Bobby Blotzer comes to mind right now, that can hold a groove. 

There was a long number of very talented British drummers that came out of the late 60's and 70's. Like Downey, Bill Ward, Kenney Jones, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon, John Bonham etc. They had jazz in their blood, and shared a totally unique style. I would not compare these guys to any of the ones you name above other than Neil Peart, who was heavily influenced by these guys.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:43 PM, RobB said:

On 2/4/2017 at 3:09 PM, Disturber said:

Very much my least favourite Lizzy album. Can't stand Sykes tourettes playing either. Every place where there normaly would be great Lizzy melodies and phrasings, in the songs, he just thrashes throwing out 1000 notes a second.  

There is a deluxe version on Spotify of the album with the demo versions. The demo versions are much more enjoyable. 

I think most Thin Lizzy fans agree with you guys, but I LOVE Thunder and Lightning.  I love all the old stuff too or at least everything that came before starting with Nightlife (those first three albums are just not for me).

I was really excited to hear the demo versions of the Thunder and Lightning stuff but alas, Spotify in the U.S. doesn't have the deluxe version.  I looked for it on YouTube too and it's not there either.  Curses!

Robbo rules. My favorite rock guitarist and wah user. It chafes my butt a bit when people sing the praises of Lizzy and only mention Sykes and Moore alongside Gorham, when Robbo was the other guy in the band during their apex. Don't talk to me about Black Rose. It's a good album but it doesn't hold a candle to the previous four.

I have spent the last couple of weeks listening to the early Eric Bell stuff. He was a killer player as well.

Robo/Gorham era first. Then I pretty much equal the Gorham/Moore era with the Gorham/White one. Snowy White recorded two fine albums with the band. Then the Eric Bell years. His melodic and classy guitar work is very underrated. His sound with the band is as classic as the sound of Robo and Gorham.

Last comes the Gorham/Sykes, short one album, era. It does not define what Thin Lizzy were all about at all. Almost like it was another band compared to all their other albums.

great youtube, haven't seen this one, thx for posting. I love lizzy, even the John Sykes stuff (although not my fave).

agree about Brian Downey, his shuffle feel is very important and often overlooked when folks discuss TL. this 1st became apparent to me when I got the live album w/ Tommy Aldridge a few years back, which was a huge disappointment. Tommy is great, but his style did not mesh w/ the classic lizzy sound.

I apologize for repeating the following things in every thin lizzy thread, but here they come again;

1) I saw them on the Chinatown tour around 81, w/ Snowy White & Scott Gorham; Scott had a broken leg and played sitting on a barstool. I was in 8th grade and it was awesome!!

2) my pal Steve Stafford (who used to post here as bruiser brody) plays in a kickass tribute in austin texas called THINK LIZZY, check 'em out.

3) my fave lizzy album is THE PEEL SESSIONS, which is a best of collection from ~72 to ~78 of appearances on John Peels BBC radio show;

Peel Sessions is really great. I only have the first one on mp3 files. The 2nd CD I don't have. I really would like to have that BBC box set. But it's very expensive, as it is out of print. :-(

living in Ireland I have seen Lizzy lots of times, the key to the entire band - Brian Downey - rock solid meat and two veg drummer - so understated - a Lizzy show was always special - never saw a bad one - even Phils solo shows and with Grand Slam were great - pity the big man couldn't quit the habit - such a talented and extremely nice guy

On 2/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, Disturber said:

Never even heard of Simon Philips before, I see that he plays with Toto, that might just explain why.

Simon is an extremely badass drummer who has also played w/ Judas Priest, the Who, Jeff Beck, Michael Schenker, and Andy Timmons, as well as hundreds of sessions since the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Phillips_(drummer)#Selected_discography

Simon Phillips is indeed a monster drummer.  First heard him on "801 Live", which was a one-off supergroup (rehearsals and 3 shows) that included Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera.  Simon was the engine and sounded like they had been playing for years; everyone was at the peak of their game.  Still an amazing album to me. 

Robbo.  He was member of Motorhead for the Another Perfect Day album, and subsequent tour.  Actually one of my favorite ones.  Hard and heavy, but also melodic.

2 hours ago, seeker said:

Robbo.  He was member of Motorhead for the Another Perfect Day album, and subsequent tour.  Actually one of my favorite ones.  Hard and heavy, but also melodic.

Another Perfect Day is still, to this day, my favourite Motörhead album. I love Ace of Spades, No Sleep til Hammersmith, Overkill, Bomber and Iron Fist - But APD has both great songs and decent production. It sounds good, and it has the songs. Great album.

I listened to Orgasmatron just a few weeks ago in the car. What struck me was that the production really sucked, and that the guitar tones was brutally bad. Still a cool album. But the the way the guitars sound on APD are just awesome, compared to most other Motörhead albums. Fast Eddie often had a great tone too though, but not as refined as Robbo's.

10 hours ago, seeker said:

Simon Phillips is indeed a monster drummer.  First heard him on "801 Live", which was a one-off supergroup (rehearsals and 3 shows) that included Brian Eno and Phil Manzanera.  Simon was the engine and sounded like they had been playing for years; everyone was at the peak of their game.  Still an amazing album to me. 

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

Another Perfect Day is still, to this day, my favourite Motörhead album. I love Ace of Spades, No Sleep til Hammersmith, Overkill, Bomber and Iron Fist - But APD has both great songs and decent production. It sounds good, and it has the songs. Great album.

I listened to Orgasmatron just a few weeks ago in the car. What struck me was that the production really sucked, and that the guitar tones was brutally bad. Still a cool album. But the the way the guitars sound on APD are just awesome, compared to most other Motörhead albums. Fast Eddie often had a great tone too though, but not as refined as Robbo's.

Glad to see some others that feel that way about Another Perfect Day.  That's my favorite Motorhead album too.  I like all the classics that Disturber mentioned also with another favorite of mine being 1916.  The one oddball thing about me as a Motorhead fan - I only got Hammersmith in the last year or so and literally had never heard it before.  I know it's a favorite of fans, but it just didn't do a thing for me.  Maybe if I had picked it up when it was new I would feel differently - a case of "You had to be there."

3 hours ago, tommy p said:

Glad to see some others that feel that way about Another Perfect Day.  That's my favorite Motorhead album too.  I like all the classics that Disturber mentioned also with another favorite of mine being 1916.  The one oddball thing about me as a Motorhead fan - I only got Hammersmith in the last year or so and literally had never heard it before.  I know it's a favorite of fans, but it just didn't do a thing for me.  Maybe if I had picked it up when it was new I would feel differently - a case of "You had to be there."

No Sleep til Hammersmith was the first hard rock, heavy metal album I heard. I had been a fan of Kiss & Alice Coopeour, five years earlier. But they felt like pop music compared to the feeling I got when I first heard Hammersmith. That album felt like the gutter, while Kiss and Alice felt like bubble gum hard rock pop. You could tell, after 15 seconds, that Motörhead was a completely different ball game. These cats did not want puny little me as a fan, like Kiss did. One word form Lemmys throat taught me that he would slit my throat the instant he laid his eyes on me. This was dangerous music, for real! So, that album has a special place in my record collection. Not that I listen to it much. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, MCChris said:

Don't talk to me about Black Rose. It's a good album but it doesn't hold a candle to the previous four.

Lets talk about Black Rose! Its my fave after Peel Sessions & Live And Dangerous.

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

This man brought a jazz box to a grunge gig. His judgment is not to be trusted.

1) A "jazzbox" is a full hollowbody (hence the "box") like a Gibson L5 or Birdland;

my Midtown is a chambered solidbody (but you already know this, you are just being a tool).

2) if a guitar w/ an F hole is considered to be a "jazzbox", then I'm in good company;

cornell.jpg

homme.jpg

Archived