Hamer Fan Club Message Center

10 inch guitar speaker recommendations

jaberwock

Question

Anyone have any favourite 10 inch speakers ? I'll be using it with a Mesa mini Rectifier ( with the blackface channel ) in a small open back cabinet, but closed back is a possibility too if it helps with some  end.

I remember Warehouse speakers getting  a lot of positive feedback here.

Happy year of the Rooster     Jaberwock

12 answers to this question

My fave for the job is the Eminence Ragin' Cajun, especially in an open back.  Better lows, more refined mids, just overall bigger sounding than most 10's.  It's also very sensitive/efficient and that makes it louder.  Don't know about WGS for 10's but they make some good stuff at good prices.

How many 10s will be in the cab?

I love my Celestion GB 10s. I also love Weber Blue Pups.

With  a Mesa, though, I'd ask Weber to make me a 10" Michigan. That s their awesome take on an EV. Smooth, balanced EV tone and it will help with the low end.

I'm with Tom on the Ragin' Cajuns - he speaks the truth.

I have some Kendricks in a 40W Fender Pro-Amp (4X10) that are very close to the original mid-'60s Fender blue back. You can't run them super hard, but they sound great.

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN0603-Spk-10&Category_Code=12

+1 on the Ragin' Cajun. Evidence to the point: Many players have upgraded a lowly Frontman 25R with this speaker and found that amp to be a keeper, post-mod. That, alone, speaks volumes (pun intended).

19 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

+1 on the Ragin' Cajun. Evidence to the point: Many players have upgraded a lowly Frontman 25R with this speaker and found that amp to be a keeper, post-mod. That, alone, speaks volumes (pun intended).

Did this to my bass player's 25R.  Transformed the thing.

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

I'm with Tom on the Ragin' Cajuns - he speaks the truth.

I have some Kendricks in a 40W Fender Pro-Amp (4X10) that are very close to the original mid-'60s Fender blue back. You can't run them super hard, but they sound great.

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=KEN0603-Spk-10&Category_Code=12

The Kendrick 10's are great speakers. I played them in one of Rob's Valvetechs. Wow. 

Thanks for all the suggestions; Eminence seems to be getting a lot of love, I'll probably go with the Ragin' Cajun.

It will be a 1 x10 cab, something that's easy to get in and out of the back of a taxi; our drummer uses brushes with a snare, a hi-hat, and a cajon for a kick drum, so we keep our volume down, really hear what each other are playing, and get our harmonies  tight.

I was thinking open back cab, or maybe some sort of closable port at the back.

Regards Jaberwock

If you want the Flat Response Speaker the Emi Ragin Cajin or the Warehouse G10C/S Speaker. Or you can also call Jeff Bober of East Amplification and order a Reference 10 made by Warehouse that is even closer to an EV without the weight. It is based off the G10C/S which is based off the Emi RC. 

49 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Ahhh, I didn't know the Cajun was anywhere close to an EV!  Learn stuff new here nearly everyday....

It is a flattish response speaker, the flatter the EQ of the speaker allows you to work the controls of the amp more. 

Jeff started east amps and needed a speaker with a flat response. He used the RC, then warehouse approached him about doing a speaker for him, but he like the RC but wanted to do a 12" speaker with a flat response. The only speaker out there like that is the EV which is very heavy. WGS has the 10c/s but they also made the same speaker in a 12". The 10C/S is often compared to the RC, so Jeff used these as his platform and they came up with the Reference 10 and 12. Very EV like, then when WGS Came out with the EV Clone (made with EV's old tooling BTW) they sent one to Jeff to try out because he needed a speaker with more wattage to use with his 60watt and higher 1x12 Combos. He made the comment that he was supprised on how similar the speakers are to EV's. 

He also does repairs still and will replace EV 10's in old fenders with the Reference Speakers if the customer approves. 

13 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

....Um......consider the source.......

:rolleyes: I actually spend my time and money trying new things. Your stuck in the mud and are used to the what your have. Consider yourself lucky my friend. 

Archived