Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1993 Centaura - Help Needed

4406cuda

I have the opportunity to pickup a 1993 Centaura.

This one has dot inlays, but they are not off set. The headstock is reversed and serial number indicates it is a 1993.

I thought all 1993 Centaura's either had off set dot inlays or boomerangs?

Please advise!

I have a 92-93 Centaura with a reverse headstock and plain-Jane dots on the board.....no biggie.  My neck is maple, but you could specify whatever neck/board you wanted when you placed your order....

That is NOT the original Floyd, pickups, tuner buttons, knobs, straplocks, refinished neck...

Looks like a refret too.

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That is NOT the original Floyd, pickups, tuner buttons, knobs, straplocks, refinished neck...

Looks like a refret too.

Even as a rebuild it's a damn shame to see USA Hamers listing at Gibson import prices.:(

That thing has been used, that's for sure. Looks like the entire thing might have been repainted. Shame it doesn't have any of the cavity covers: you'll never find them in the original anodized aluminum.

2 hours ago, e-isle rock said:

What's with the two dings on the back on either side of the claw cavity? Did someone use too long of screws for the pickups and screwed them right through the back? Weird.

Hamer used brass bushings on their direct mount pickups, so that shouldn't happen. Also they are too far apart and forward. I have no idea what they are, though one definitely appears to have a screw punching out. Weird.

6 hours ago, e-isle rock said:

What's with the two dings on the back on either side of the claw cavity? Did someone use too long of screws for the pickups and screwed them right through the back? Weird.

My used Hamer Diablo I USA also has those two holes. I think the previous owner might have screwed down the pickup so far down that they punched a hole through the back. No biggie. Got the guitar relatively cheap. I just used wood filler and filled up the holes. My luthier friend suggested to me he could mix up some paint with the wood filler to match the colour of the body so that the wood filler doesn't stick out so obviously, but I was happy with regular wood filler. After all, mine is in somewhat of a beater shape

I don't know. I usually don't fix defects on a used guitar. Would like worse until you spend a lot of money touching them up

Looking again at the type of screws used, I would bet they used longer screws, and went right past the bushings. Maybe they even took out the bushings. Oh well.

Archived