Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1982 Zebra Special - price drop for HFC Supporters

I really need to sell some guitars! Not a fire sale or financial crisis, just downsizing to the dozen or so that are absolutely essential.

This is a rare one. '82 Special with original Zebra graphic finish.

Very good condition with some nicks, dings and scratches and minor fret wear.  Nice natural creamy aging in the white paint.  Nothing serious.  Sets up easily with low action.  No dead spots or buzzing with reasonably aggressive playing.

8 lbs. 6.6 oz.

Nice medium chunky neck (the thickest I've found on a first generation Special).  0.804 at the 1st fret, 0.890 at the 12th.

New bone nut, new knobs.  The pickups are either original or period correct Dimarzios.  Possibly original period correct Hamer case.  Everything in the control cavity looks original, but the pickups have been out.  I'm pretty sure I tried a Virtual PAF in the bridge position then changed it back, but its obvious that someone tried different pickups at some point.

I think I bought this one from HFC member Johnny Thunders about 10 years ago.  I played it at a downtown Chicago Hamer Jam and Paul Hamer's brother confirmed that he did the Zebra paint job using ripped up newspaper as masking.

I'll leave it here for a week, then off to reverb at a more optimistic price. Now listed on Reverb at $1,899.00 asking price. $1,500.00 shipped for HFC Supporting Members. Sorry, U.S. Only (CITES :mellow:)

P2030045.JPG

P2030035.JPG

P2030022.JPG

P2030038.JPG

P2030039.JPG

P2030041.JPG

P2030021.JPG

P2030008.JPG

P2030009.JPG

Nice one !

I've always had a soft spot for black and white graphic Hamers, especially the Graphic Series Special .. Every guitar as individual as the folks that built them.

44 minutes ago, JochenP said:

Looking for some cool Hamer guitars I realy live in a wrong country... Dam....

The CITES regulations are also not helping to improve any guitar collection in EU...

Love that Zebra though. What a fantastic story that they used ripped newspaper to create the stripes....

On 2/28/2017 at 3:10 PM, BadgerDave said:

Nice medium chunky neck (the thickest I've found on a first generation Special).  0.804 at the 1st fret, 0.890 at the 12th.

"I hate you in the face!"
-Poe's Nephew

^^^ Echoing everyone's sentiments above. What a brilliant looking guitar!

Somebody's going to be over the moon having that one. 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

That IS cool! Hamer did some very unique things with guitars back in the day and that is one of them! You go to a gig and pull that guitar out how many people are you going to meet that say hey I have one of those? Not! BOLWTS.

• 1 month later...

Just got the bill for my collarbone surgery.  :blink:

$1,500.00 shipped for HFC supporting members.

Apologies to those outside the U.S., but the rosewood board (99% sure it's Brazilian) prevents cross boarder shipping.

Archived