Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bought a PRS Vela. Impressive!

polara

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 8:59 AM, polara said:

Covers the Gretsch sound very well. Not as "woody" as the 6120 but no raging feedback and gets the crunch sound fine.

Covers the Telecaster. Again, not perfectly, but the Vela's overall vibe can do that.

Finally, the Les Paul I have is a very bright one, which I like (the B'bucker Pros are almost too treble-heavy) and the bridge pickup on the Vela with the tone open is close enough to that.

I'm never trying to cop any specific sound, but between the single-coil neck, both with the bridge pickup split, and the bridge 'bucker, I can get a good disco rhythm sound, a power-pop Fountains of Wayne crunchy jangle, and some pretty convincing rawk. Good enough for me, and the guitarists yesterday were all wanting to try the guitar and saying I had a lot of cool sounds.

Thanks Polara for the info & reply. Ted U

• 5 months later...

Cool! I've recently been looking at adding a Vela to the roster. Seems to be quite a versatile machine, I love the look and the pickup combination and that it's not so fancy, but still looks terrific. 

14 hours ago, black magic said:

Very cool guitar. Is it a short scale guitar? I think/thought the Mira or Vela or both were shorter scale? I kinda like the Mira but need to play one.

Nope, same 25" as the almost every other PRS.

From a purely rock and roll aesthetic, that guitar looks badass. I expect it to sound great because it looks great. 

I know that doesn’t necessarily follow, and I am not a PRS fan, but damn it looks killer!

Enjoy!

I have owned its' cousins, the Mira and the Starla.  Wonderful instruments on the low bling level for PRS.  I have heard complaints about the pickups but they weren't bad for me.  

1 hour ago, sixesandsevens said:

Are you still rocking that guitar?  Any changed feelings about it after using it for a while?

I had it on the 45 day return period from GC and returned it. Not 'cos of the guitar, but something came along that was unique and underpriced, and I paid a little over the going rate for the Vela. I can get another one any day of the week, so after I sell off a couple more "buy low, sell high" guitars I'll pick up another Vela. It really is an amazing all-rounder.

13 hours ago, santellavision said:

I bought one of the Limited Reclaimed Wood Velas. OMG, this baby is light, super resonant and just a joy to play. Love the pickups.

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/s2/reclaimed_limited_s2_vela_semi_hollow

s2_vela_reclaimed_2017_hero_large.jpg

Love that!  When I had Velalust it was for a natural finish model. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Vela to band practice this week. Had a reaction I didn't expect. 2 of my band peeps told me that this guitar sounded amazing. That's saying a lot as I bring all kinds of guitars out a LOT. I like to play all my guitars. Sometime you don't realize that the tone others 'hear' makes that much difference. I really love that this semi-hollow weights about 5 lbs! I've got two gigs this week and it's gonna' be rocking with me! 

On 10/26/2017 at 12:23 PM, polara said:

I had it on the 45 day return period from GC and returned it. Not 'cos of the guitar, but something came along that was unique and underpriced, and I paid a little over the going rate for the Vela. I can get another one any day of the week, so after I sell off a couple more "buy low, sell high" guitars I'll pick up another Vela. It really is an amazing all-rounder.

Jut got one off eBay for $500 shipped. I think it had been played in a punk band, as it has some scrapes, what looked like amateur hammer relic-ing and a sticker on it. Cleaning, setup, and and I'm back in Vela-land! Might get Stiked... a purple metalflake Vela would be epic...

Archived