Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Color for S-Type Partscaster

velorush

Question

I know before I ask this will result in nothing conclusive and in the end 'it's your guitar, paint it what you will,' but I thought I'd throw this out here and at least get some opinions.  Sometimes it is helpful just to discuss to either confirm or deny what I knew all along.  So here it is: after perusing the Fender Custom Shop Strats for going on a year and after receiving some helpful encouragement from some here, I've been working on an S-type partscaster.  This has actually been extremely surprising.  I was shopping for parts when a complete partscaster popped up on the StratTalk board.  It was most of what I was looking for and at a reasonable price, so I bought it.

Attach10536_20170104_110251_zps37dghc1f.

What I bought was an American Special ash body that had been black, but stripped down to the sealer coat, a Callaham vintage bridge, the Gilmour set of pickups (CS '69, CS fat 50's, SD SSL-5) and a '57 AVRI neck - basically a Gilmour Black Strat clone that had been stripped.  Oh, with one of the new hardshell cases, too.  I'd never played the '57 AVRI neck, a nice "V" shape that measured 0.84" at the first fret.  It was fun for a little while, but there just wasn't enough meat there for my hands and I knew it was going to have to go.  After some consultation here on the Board, I purchased an Allparts fatty (inch thick first to 12th) and a set of hipshot locking tuners with their new mounting system that requires no holes drilled.

It is magnificent!  I can't stop playing it.  And now we're getting into weather warm enough to paint the thing and I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities.  My favorites are Black, Antique White (i.e., Yngwie yellow), Fiesta Red, Sherwood Green.  Given the fretboard on this one is (my favorite) maple, I'm a little hesitant to go with my favorite color, Fiesta Red (that, and everyone in the house winces at the thought).  Sherwood looks great (IMO) with maple, but the varying definitions of Sherwood make it kind of a crap shoot.  Yngwie yellow, like Fiesta Red, would look better to me with a rosewood board.  So I was pondering doing it up like my favorite, the cold-dead-fingers Strat, the '97 Roadhouse I traded off to Punkavenger:

P1010008alt.jpg  

I even have a brand new tort guard ready to go.  I was set.  Black/tort it is!  Then I happened across this on the RebelRelic site this morning:

2S36-970x650.jpg

This (IMO) is a fantastic green!  It's not Sherwood, it's not Kelly, not British Racing Green.  It's just very nice green.  I just heard back from RebelRelic (it's 6:25PM in the Netherlands and they are answering emails like it's 8:00AM) - it's 7up Green, I suppose like on the first-gen Eric Clapton Strat. 

Any thoughts?

The other options, the most famous Fiesta Red / Maple board:

Hank+Marvin+Cliff+Richard+Shadows+Perfor

Sherwood with maple:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yngwie yellow:

fender-strat-malmsteen-2001-cons-full-fr

LPB:

IMG_8293.JPG

Black:

IMG_8294.JPG

Graffitti Yellow (Foam Green on the Tele):

IMG_8295.JPG

Capri Orange:

IMG_8296.JPG

Wine Red (some Dakota Reds are this dark):

IMG_8297.JPG

22 hours ago, serial said:

LPB:

IMG_8293.JPG

Does that seem a little dark for LPB? Could be the lighting...  Not knocking it - I'd like this tonality only in green.

22 hours ago, serial said:

Black:

IMG_8294.JPG

Graffitti Yellow (Foam Green on the Tele):

IMG_8295.JPG

Capri Orange:

IMG_8296.JPG

Wine Red (some Dakota Reds are this dark):

IMG_8297.JPG

Graffiti Yellow was an immediate favorite the minute I saw it (I'm remembering some time early-90's maybe?). Wasn't Capri Orange part of some super limited series having something to do with geography?  Continental Series?  International Series?  Pan-Am Series?  Always a favorite.

"International Colors" Series from 1981.

Anyone seen the PPG Voice of Color app?  Allows color matching to photos.  I used it on the 7up Green Strat in my original post and it came up with two greens in the photo:

facebook-mountain-forest-308-7.jpgfacebook-pine-forest-505-7.jpg

Both are too olive for my taste, but this might be a good tool to use for ideas.

Incidentally, this is the color it matched to Serial's Capri Orange Strat, so it's obvious lighting and choice of photos is very important 'cause, other than being kind of orange, this isn't terribly close.

facebook-cinnamon-stone-129-7.jpg

The app also has "Shades" and "Harmony" buttons that allow viewing of similar or complimentary colors.  Pretty cool.

Using the Shades button, I found this color that is a bit closer, but too indistinct and washed out

facebook-pear-cactus-308-5.jpg

Through a gigantic series of digressions and dead ends, I have found an interesting color: 1971 Ford Mustang Grabber Green, PPG Code 2293

1971_00041_01.jpgJULY152007006.jpg

Hmmmmm...

Pussy hat pink? Just sayin'.... That is a popular color these days....you could get a cat sticker for it.....

Nevermind.

I still like Capri orange and that fiesta red demands attention.

A mo' betta' green remembered this AM (what can I say, I grew up liking the Mustangs, but drove a Camaro), Rallye Green:

Example of the color PPG 43898

9k=

The advantage of Rallye Green over Grabber Green is that, having more black in the mix, Rallye Green will look much better with a white pickguard / plastics.  It is also in my mind a more distinct color than the Mustang mix. 

ETA: @mrjamiam not sure if you've seen the new chrome paint systems (the roof Billy Gibbons' Cadillac build for Gilligan comes to mind)

billygibbonscar.jpg

It's called "chrome paint" but isn't the cheap looking silver that came out twenty or thirty years ago, it's a layered, silvery clear that goes over a black base coat.  I'm thinking the video finish might be achievable by spraying candy green over that.

chrome5.jpg

Stike has a KILLER green up his sleeve that I'm hoping to be able to show here in all its glory soon...

26 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

Black !

It's funny, but all this weekend I worked on a completely new concept for this thing, a 'Triple TV' we'll call it.  I tried to snag three TV Jones Classics during the Labor Day Reverb / CME sale, but they didn't offer those in the sale, so I'm back to pondering nearly $400 in pickups for a guitar in which I have vested about that much.  I settled on green, somewhere between 7up and Heineken green with a white three-ply pickguard.  Then, I woke up this morning...

Black with a tort guard (I know tort is both loved and hated here), just like my much beloved cold-dead-fingers Strat.

A picture of a Suhr Triple TV :

Suhr_Classic_Custom_Candy_Apple_Red_DG28

After pondering which TV Jones to use, comparing resistance and inductance figures with various Strat pickups, I found that Suhr uses Classics (not+) theirs.  What do I know that John Suhr doesn't?  Exactly, so that made the choice pretty simple.

So this, only with chrome TV Jones Classics:

P1010008alt.jpg

Well, that's my thought today. Now to try to find a TV Jones discount somewhere!  

One other thing in the works, a five-way super switch that gives me the choices I'll actually use: bridge, bridge-middle, bridge-neck, middle-neck, neck.  No need for additional switches, complications or mission-controlery.  :)

Archived