Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Chuck Berry

ArnieZ

"Roll Over Beethoven", make room for Chuck!  

Chuck Berry was another artist that was played at our house on a regular basis.  His influence and his escapades were just as legendary.  Went to see Buddy Whittington last night and they lead with Roll Over Beethoven and opened his second set with Johnny B. Goode.   To his family, friends and guitar players everywhere how admired Chuck, my thoughts and prayers go with them. 

Hamerica

We often say, when so-called musical giants such as he pass on that they'll be "playing with Jimi and Janice and Bonzo, etc, in Heaven, blahblahblah," but the reality is he'll just grab the cheapest corpses available to play behind him and never even learn their names.

13 minutes ago, kizanski said:

the reality is he'll just grab the cheapest corpses available to play behind him and never even learn their names.

The pertinent question is, "Will the guys get shirts?"

15 hours ago, kizanski said:

he'll just grab the cheapest sluts available to play behind him and never even learn their names.

sounds like my morning after reputation from some of the little tramps I knew in college.  Cheers girls and don't forget your panties!

caddie

3 hours ago, DaveL said:

I read somewhere that Chuck Berry showed up to a Circle Jerks gig and jammed with the band....major props for that.....

There are collections of his hits, like The Great 28 or Anthology. But go check out the complete Chess Records dump of his tracks, starting with the first collection from the 50s -- Johnny B Good His Complete '50s Chess Recordings. Hard to imagine the Beatles, Stones, or Beach Boys without Berry. I think there are more Berry tunes on the Beatles BBC1 & 2 collections than any other artist. Listen to Berry's Guitar Boogie and then Jeff Beck's Beck's Boogie performed with the Yardbirds. Here is Berry.

For me, it was The T.A.M.I. Show movie in 1964. I was already familiar with Chuck Berry’s iconic hits but just as an average radio listener.

But the now-also-iconic concert movie, filmed at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, underlined the “I-wanna-play-guitar-and-be-a-rock-star” mentality of an untold number of teenage boys (like me) who had experienced a hormonal epiphany when the Beatles had appeared on the “Ed Sullivan Show” earlier the same year.

Hosts Jan and Dean introduced Berry as the very first act, citing the guitarist as “the guy who started it all, back in 1958.” Apparently, the producers were trying for a fathers-and-sons vibe, as Berry and early British Invasion band Gerry & the Pacemakers traded off songs. To what extent it worked was debatable, but the image of Berry’s lanky frame bending and contorting with the music while evoking those bright, chugging riffs from what appeared to be a Gibson ES-350T was branded into my mind, permanently (especially “Nadine”)...but how many teenage boys would have thought to note the brand and model at the time?

I had previously been unfamiliar with Berry’s “duck walk” and other performance schtick. After The T.A.M.I. Show, I paid very close attention if I ever saw him performing.

However, over the last 25 years or so I had no burning desire to interview him, as had been the case for other legendary giants. Would have done so had the opportunity come along but it didn't happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this TV clip before. It's the day John Lennon MET Chuck Berry for the first time and is backing him up (with Elephants Memory?)

what is interesting is.....that now famous quote from Lennon about "if you called rock&roll by another name, it would be Chuck Berry" LENNON READ FROM A TELEPROMPTER!!!  Go figure.

Also......it has Yoko doing her god awful shreiking background vocals.  

Yes....both Lennon and Berry are dead but Yoko lives on. There is truly NO justice.

1 minute ago, scottcald said:

Boy, Yoko never did herself any favors did she?  This is an example of her trying to make herself be the focus.  

Just one of those phenomenons which will continue to vex all who dare to attempt to make sense of it.
Where is the talent?
What did John see in her? It certainly wasn't her appearance.

I'll take it step further.
I think Lennon's credibility as an artist (and even as a human being) takes a huge shot for hoisting that albatross on society.
He was the lucky one. He got put out of his misery 36 years ago, while we're still stuck with the bitch.

I curse him every time her name is uttered.

35 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Boy, Yoko never did herself any favors did she? 

Actually, that is exactly what she did.  She snagged herself a Beatle at a time they were among the biggest music stars in the world.  She ended up with his fortune.  She gets to throw around his name and money to do what she wants.  If she wants to put a pile a manure in a museum and start screeching into a microphone at the reception for her art exhibit she gets to do exactly that.  It is always about her desires. 

If there was a time machine and someone could go back in time to prevent Yoko Ono from ever meeting John Lennon she would be nothing today, and the world would be a better place.  If anyone is interested, we could start a GoFundMe page to get started on the R&D to create such a time machine for that specific purpose. 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Boy, Yoko never did herself any favors did she?  This is an example of her trying to make herself be the focus.  

Something to be said for her version of Lennon's "Imagine"......

"Yes I know that I'm a screamer. But I'm not the only one".

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I curse him every time her name is uttered.

You mean like with you looking upward shaking your fists and screaming at him?

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Actually, that is exactly what she did.  She snagged herself a Beatle at a time they were among the biggest music stars in the world.  She ended up with his fortune.  She gets to throw around his name and money to do what she wants.  If she wants to put a pile a manure in a museum and start screeching into a microphone at the reception for her art exhibit she gets to do exactly that.  It is always about her desires. 

If there was a time machine and someone could go back in time to prevent Yoko Ono from ever meeting John Lennon she would be nothing today, and the world would be a better place.  If anyone is interested, we could start a GoFundMe page to get started on the R&D to create such a time machine for that specific purpose. 

I hear you.  But If I had some kind of time machine like that, I'd use it to go visit Marilyn Monroe.  ;)

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

If she wants to put a pile a manure in a museum and start screeching into a microphone at the reception for her art exhibit she gets to do exactly that.

How does that differ from the so-called "art" she claims to make?

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

You mean like with you looking upward shaking your fists and screaming at him?

Pretty much. Right after I scoff at his "genius."
Again, credibility in the shitter.
You can pretty much counter any good thing he did for the world - musically or otherwise - with "..yeah, but he's responsible for that waste of oxygen, Yoko Fucking Ono."

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

You can pretty much counter any good thing he did for the world - musically or otherwise - with "..yeah, but he's responsible for that waste of oxygen, Yoko Fucking Ono."

Maybe those glasses he wore were like hypnosis glasses and he saw and heard entirely different things.  :lol:

53 minutes ago, scottcald said:
3 hours ago, kizanski said:

I was a huge Beatles fan....................I was  crazy about collecting everything I could by them.....................my mother knowing all this bought me John and Yoko's  WEDDING ALBUM" which.........................I never opened and later sold to another collector.

I think Bob Seger says it best at every gig he plays: "All Chuck's children are out there playing his licks."

I still am. So are Richards and Perry. I took from them as they took from Berry.

King of the double-stop riff.

Archived