Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who's brave enough to do this?

Not another "oh my goodness, look at this prodigy" video.  She apparently did her own 2016 challenge (although I sincerely doubt she's ever heard of ours) and recorded progress.  I thought 1) pretty decent progress in a year, 2) hey, it's a young person taking interest in the guitar (and getting new gear!), and 3) and she's (mostly) playing rock!  Pretty brave to show the actual level of proficiency, I think.  I shy away from playing anything that I think someone else will hear if I'm not pretty confident that I'll do it at least to my minimum standard.

Very happy young guitar player. I watch her cover of the Ghost tune and she exhibits happiness in her playing and that makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for posting.

I see she has a new guitar too.

Wow that's progress.  I can hear the conversation now.  Dad the Strat pickups aren't hot enough for the heavy riffs...  Dad this guitar does not stay in tune when I hit the tremolo...

1 hour ago, dhuber said:

Wow that's progress.  I can hear the conversation now.  Dad the Strat pickups aren't hot enough for the heavy riffs...  Dad this guitar does not stay in tune when I hit the tremolo...

Well, she said in her post with the video that she was 22 when she started and sometimes was working too much to practice every day, so I'm guessing that she's probably funding her own GAS.

Things I noticed:
- She was using her pinky almost from the first: she doesn't have to try to relearn like a lot of us do
- improvement in picking hand fluidity...she was *atrocious* at first.

Very cool video. my daughter has been taking lessons for about a year, and it's interesting to see some similarities between her progress and the girl in the videos progress. Even a lot of the same songs. I hadn't thought much about which songs she's been working on, but I guess they must be standard for beginners.

Right there. Sweep picking by Nov.

I hadn't even heard of sweep picking until several years in. It took another few years before I actually saw someone use it, and how it was applied.

Great video. And proof how difficult vibrato and intonation really are.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:36 AM, mrjamiam said:

Not another "oh my goodness, look at this prodigy" video.  She apparently did her own 2016 challenge (although I sincerely doubt she's ever heard of ours) and recorded progress.  I thought 1) pretty decent progress in a year, 2) hey, it's a young person taking interest in the guitar (and getting new gear!), and 3) and she's (mostly) playing rock!  Pretty brave to show the actual level of proficiency, I think.  I shy away from playing anything that I think someone else will hear if I'm not pretty confident that I'll do it at least to my minimum standard.

I feel like this response is (a) sadly common and (b) rooted in the way we perceive our lack of progress.  If we're self conscious about not being better, we shy away from this.  If we're excited by our progress, we rejoice.

One useful metaphor from computing is the difference between wall-time (how much time has elapsed on the clock since we started) and cpu-time (how much time the job actually spent running and not waiting around to run).  For example, on a busy computer I might run a command that takes 1 minute to return, but really only spent 15s actually running on the processor.  The rest of it is waiting for the stars to align (I/O, scheduling, etc.) for it's chance to run.

After almost 30 years playing guitar I feel like I should be able to play some fast VH or Vai style runs, but I never put in the cpu-time.  As a result, I'm sort of embarrassed that I'm not better than I am after the amount of wall-time that's elapsed.  But truthfully, the last 20 years probably amount to the same cpu-time as the first two years.

In collecting my thoughts to write this post, I realized that (for me) when real effort is involved, I tend to be less likely to be proud.  Like, it's cool to show off when stuff is effortless but somehow if I had to work hard at it, I'm more likely to be embarrassed that it wasn't easier.  

Stupid brain.

On 24/03/2017 at 3:54 AM, Northfield said:

Very cool video. my daughter has been taking lessons for about a year, and it's interesting to see some similarities between her progress and the girl in the videos progress. Even a lot of the same songs. I hadn't thought much about which songs she's been working on, but I guess they must be standard for beginners.

I bet your daughter has greater tone judging by the masterpieces she has available to her.  I still remember her picking up the prototype Maverick, declaring she was going to practice, and walking upstairs.  I thought "Wow! How cool is that!"

Archived