Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Would anyone agree to these terms of sale?

A guy in Australia has a rare SS guitar I wanted to purchase.  He agreed to sell it to me, but only as a package deal with another guitar I already have one of, creating a situation where I'd sell one (the one I already have) to get to where I wish to be.  I agreed to this, but asked he send me two Paypal invoices such that each can be valued individually in the event of them being lost or damaged in transit.  He refuses, instead, he wants me to wire transfer him the money as a lump sum.  He wants me to hire a courier to go to him to pick up the guitars. 

I explained that I would have zero protection of being ripped off and no insurance on the transactions using his desired method of transaction.  FedEx will not cover anything over $1,000, they will not sell additional insurance, which means my home owner's would have to cover the transaction.  My agent asked, "how can we cover something with no assigned value as part of a group purchase?" 

Would any sane person send a wire transfer to someone they never met on the other side of the world with zero assurance of ever receiving anything? FWIW, we are also talking big dollar amounts here. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back away slowly, but let him know that if (when) he can't find anyone to meet his nutty terms, you would be happy to  buy the SS by itself.

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

Go through eBay. This transaction was meant to be. You should own these guitars

I think the seller is trying to avoid losing money to eBay and PayPal fees. Unfortunately that leaves Joe with no protection whatsoever.  

The prick doesn't even want to ship tbe guitars (which would at least imply some admission of a deal having been struck), he wants a courier to come get them.  

Red flags all over the place.   

34 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

He now sent me his eBay feedback. I'd buy through eBay, I'd get more protection than I asked for.  We all know eBay bends over backwards for buyers these days.  

If you wire transfer the money, you lose any protection you may have gotten from eBay...

Intriguing...

the ebay facilitation appears worth working through as a framework that offers protection.

wierd to only consider selling you both guitars, rather than just the one you want.

typically one might expect to yield more cash splitting them out, unless they are so closely linked.

any more info to tantalise us?

9 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

My collection is shit without his guitar.  

I'd politely tell him where to stick his SS and his terms.

31 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

This is rich:
I'm not trying to tempt you as I'm making not effort to sell it, but I feel for your SS project, and other people will think it is going to be wrecked without

Not even Strine.  What's the record for red flags in a single proposed transaction?

Archived