Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Would anyone agree to these terms of sale?

He knows more than you want him to.

Stall. See if he bends to your will of coin.

Your holding the cards atm, according to your post above.

Patients. Do not yield. Do not provoke. Patients.

tik tok. tik tok.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

A guy in Australia has a rare SS guitar I wanted to purchase.  He agreed to sell it to me, but only as a package deal with another guitar I already have one of, creating a situation where I'd sell one (the one I already have) to get to where I wish to be.  I agreed to this, but asked he send me two Paypal invoices such that each can be valued individually in the event of them being lost or damaged in transit.  He refuses, instead, he wants me to wire transfer him the money as a lump sum.  He wants me to hire a courier to go to him to pick up the guitars. 

I explained that I would have zero protection of being ripped off and no insurance on the transactions using his desired method of transaction.  FedEx will not cover anything over $1,000, they will not sell additional insurance, which means my home owner's would have to cover the transaction.  My agent asked, "how can we cover something with no assigned value as part of a group purchase?" 

Would any sane person send a wire transfer to someone they never met on the other side of the world with zero assurance of ever receiving anything? FWIW, we are also talking big dollar amounts here. 

WALK! Too far out for any reasonable mind to agree to......................Tell him you know Steve Stevens personally [You do don't you?] and that Steve knows about his stupid idea regarding this transaction and wants to kick his ass.:)

7 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

WALK! Too far out for any reasonable mind to agree to......................Tell him you know Steve Stevens personally [You do don't you?] and that Steve knows about his stupid idea regarding this transaction and wants to kick his ass.:)

Actually Josie vouched for me to him.  

I would RUN. FAST. There's no reason why he'd want a wire transfer over paypal. The fees for receiving a wire transfer can be hefty, and no protection?

OH HELL NAAAAWWWW.

35 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Tell him you know Steve Stevens personally [You do don't you?] and that Steve knows about his stupid idea regarding this transaction and wants to kick his ass.:)

What could SS do? Throw a can of Final Net at him?

42 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Actually Josie vouched for me to him.  

Would not sign off and agree to the deal even with Steve's wifes endorsement of you? SHAMEFUL! Well then there is always this.2njkidh.jpg

If I could interject, there is a service I have used in situations like this where neither is knowledgeable of the other and significant funds are at stake. 

escrow.com

Fees are extremely reasonable and can be assigned to buyer, seller, or shared by both.  The release of funds is contingent on acceptance by the buyer over an agreed upon inspection period.  It works amazingly well...  unless one party is trying to dupe the other.  In that case it becomes untenable as the service completely thwarts any sort of foul play.

I've used it successfully many times on international transactions involving many thousands of dollars (i.e., not guitars).  PM me if I can give you any other details. 

54 minutes ago, Camstone said:

Even if you can figure out a way to come to terms with the Aussie, what about the CITES documentation? Are you gonna handle that? Or is it a maple fretboard?

The beauty of the escrow.com configuration is all of that is spelled out beforehand.  It is an amazing system that allows for incredible detail in the terms and conditions.

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Classic scammer. I bet he doesn't even have the guitars.

He has them, he is just convinced they are the end all be all of the universe.  

At this stage I don't think I'd even want it, I'll buy it from the next guy when he sells it.  

11 hours ago, RobB said:

It's a good deal. I'd jump on it before somebody else does. 

That was the funniest comment so far. I had to laugh out loud! Thanks for ending my evening with a laugh.

11 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

My collection is shit without his guitar.  

I can see why he wouldn't want to sell on ebay. The fees are prohibitive, especially if the price tag is a large one, which I expect it is.
But he could accept PayPal if he wanted to strike a deal. Maybe he would tack on 3% for you to pay.  If you really want this guitar, you might even suck it up and pay it (although you're already bending over backwards taking a guitar that you don't want just to get the deal done), or you split the fees, or whatever.

Point is there is a deal here to be made, but there has to be some give-and-take.

There's just no reason for him not to play ball, other than to be a cockhead or screw you.

10 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Would not sign off and agree to the deal even with Steve's wifes endorsement of you?

At this point it's the seller who needs to be endorsed.

Getting a bank transfer is simply a way of avoiding crazy paypal fees, it can cost you to send , and him to receive depending on the bank, and once sent that's it.

I did my share of bank transfers in the late 90's ,  but even with collectors with whom I've dealt with countless times , no longer do so.

My banking info floating around the net, these days especially,  is not something I want to come back and bite me

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

At this point it's the seller who needs to be endorsed.

Exactly.

Other than using something like escrow.com to add some protection the only other safe way to handle it that I can think of is if there is a HFC member somewhere nearby in Australia who is willing to help swing the deal. A longshot I know but I think that kind of thing has happened a few times between USA and Europe. Of cource you are trusting two people at that point but true HFC'ers are usually a trustworthy bunch. 

I had agreed to pay the Paypal fees.

He asked me to send him the money, I tried, but the email address I had was not associated with a Paypal account.

He then sent me an invoice for both guitars, no description of them or serial numbers, just a description like "for two guitars shipped". 

As i said, the Paypal email address was different than the one we had been using, so I was concerned my proof of what two guitars we were referring to was raised.

I called Paypal, they said since two guitars would be two tracking numbers and two shipments, it needed to be done in two transactions.  He refused.  He said they are worth more together than separate, so he would not provide two invoices.

Then he revealed FedEx would only provide $1,000 in insurance per guitar maximum.  Since the insurance was insufficient, I called my insurance agent to look into insuring the shipment on my home owner's policy.  He said it could be done, but they would have to be separate shipments with declared values via the Paypal transactions.  His thoughts were simply, how do we know what to pay out if one is lost and the other not?  Were they each worth half?  Two thirds for one and one third for the other?  He said without documentation the insurance would be worthless in the event of a claim.  I explained this to the seller, numerous times.  He told me that it was my problem, he didn't care about it, once it left his hands it was all on me.  I explained, "exactly", that is why I need the data.  He then told me that I probably can't afford them and just a time waster, or I was trying to scam him.  When I was speaking to Josie about something else, I told her the situation and she emailed him on my behalf, I was copied.   I emailed him and asked if it put his mind to ease, he ignored me.  I did not hear from him for a few weeks, then he returned demanding direct payment, and unwilling to provide separate values.   I told him it was too risky for my taste and I had to pass.

It reminds me of the guy across the street when he was selling his house.  It "sold" within a few hours of going to market for more than the asking price.  About a week later it was discovered it still had an underground oil tank, which the mortgage company for the buyer demanded be removed prior to closing.  The seller refused, the deal fell through.  After eighteen months, four realtors and many other deals falling through for the same reason, he finally relented and removed the tank.  It was a leaker, it cost him over 50k.  He had  moved to Florida in the meantime, so the house sat empty for a year and he absorbed the carrying costs.  He was convinced he'd find a cash buyer who would take it as is, that buyer never came along.   Oh, and the market changed and he took less than asking because it lingered on the market for so long.   All in all he probably lost 100k, not counting the oil tank removal. 

23 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I had agreed to pay the Paypal fees.

He asked me to send him the money, I tried, but the email address I had was not associated with a Paypal account.

He then sent me an invoice for both guitars, no description of them or serial numbers, just a description like "for two guitars shipped". 

As i said, the Paypal email address was different than the one we had been using, so I was concerned my proof of what two guitars we were referring to was raised.

I called Paypal, they said since two guitars would be two tracking numbers and two shipments, it needed to be done in two transactions.  He refused.  He said they are worth more together than separate, so he would not provide two invoices.

Then he revealed FedEx would only provide $1,000 in insurance per guitar maximum.  Since the insurance was insufficient, I called my insurance agent to look into insuring the shipment on my home owner's policy.  He said it could be done, but they would have to be separate shipments with declared values via the Paypal transactions.  His thoughts were simply, how do we know what to pay out if one is lost and the other not?  Were they each worth half?  Two thirds for one and one third for the other?  He said without documentation the insurance would be worthless in the event of a claim.  I explained this to the seller, numerous times.  He told me that it was my problem, he didn't care about it, once it left his hands it was all on me.  I explained, "exactly", that is why I need the data.  He then told me that I probably can't afford them and just a time waster, or I was trying to scam him.  When I was speaking to Josie about something else, I told her the situation and she emailed him on my behalf, I was copied.   I emailed him and asked if it put his mind to ease, he ignored me.  I did not hear from him for a few weeks, then he returned demanding direct payment, and unwilling to provide separate values.   I told him it was too risky for my taste and I had to pass.

Then he's just a dick.  It costs him nothing to sell them "separately," since you're the one buying them both AND paying the PayPal fees.

He's either not really interested in selling or just enjoying stringing you along.

Hard pass.

Like many others, I think the guy was going to rip you off.  If he only listed "two guitars shipped", you might have gotten a couple of Hondos or something equally opposed to what you were actually buying.   

One of these things you could probably work out, but the sum of all of them is bad times for you.  

2 hours ago, peedenmark7 said:

Getting a bank transfer is simply a way of avoiding crazy paypal fees, it can cost you to send , and him to receive depending on the bank, and once sent that's it.

I did my share of bank transfers in the late 90's ,  but even with collectors with whom I've dealt with countless times , no longer do so.

My banking info floating around the net, these days especially,  is not something I want to come back and bite me

Yes, PayPal fees are avoided, but [additionally] in the instance of a nefarious seller a wire transfer represents an irreversible transaction. 

Once a wire is initiated there is no such thing as a stop payment - wire transfers are without recourse.  You transfer the cash and you are completely at the mercy and assumed good intentions of the seller. 

PayPal, for all of its ills, provides some recourse for non-performance.  This is also typically the case for other fee-based third-party mediums of exchange. 

No idea on anyone else's bank, but our bank charges $50 on the sending end of an international wire, $25 on the receiving end.  Assuming a 4% PayPal fee, that's break even at $1,250.00.  Pretty cheap for having recourse against a scam (my opinion).

51 minutes ago, soulfield said:

Overseas, wire funds, courrier???  RUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!

He's rich and not going anywhere, but in the event of a problem, I'd clearly be on my own on the other side of the planet. 

It's not like it is the Live Aid ray gun guitar I lusted after for decades, it's a cool SS that I actually had the chance to buy before he did back in 2009.  I thought it was too expensive then, and in reality it still is, the only saving grace being 13.5% adjustment for inflation.  I don't think there is another person on the planet who'd consider bailing him out of over paying back when.  He claims to have a "rich prick" investment banker very interested.  He went as so far to send me the guys name and website info.  I guess he wants me to forward his emails describing him as such? 

3 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

It's almost like "Manchester By The Sea" except with less sex and more anguish.

I don't think there is any anguish left after that flick.

Archived