Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Would anyone agree to these terms of sale?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, JimiH said:

Think you guys are very distrusting of strangers, well you all lose and the likes of me win. I only have to make three more payments to a nice Nigerian who mailed me, then I'm in the money 👍

He's a nice guy.  He got in touch with me as well.  Very generous of him.  :lol:

You did what YOU thought was best and passed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good for you. After this much dicking around to try to please him enough is enough. You can't reason with someone who isn't reasonable.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Studio Custom said:

A guy in Australia has a rare SS guitar I wanted to purchase.  He agreed to sell it to me, but only as a package deal with another guitar I already have one of, creating a situation where I'd sell one (the one I already have) to get to where I wish to be.  I agreed to this, but asked he send me two Paypal invoices such that each can be valued individually in the event of them being lost or damaged in transit.  He refuses, instead, he wants me to wire transfer him the money as a lump sum.  He wants me to hire a courier to go to him to pick up the guitars. 

I explained that I would have zero protection of being ripped off and no insurance on the transactions using his desired method of transaction.  FedEx will not cover anything over $1,000, they will not sell additional insurance, which means my home owner's would have to cover the transaction.  My agent asked, "how can we cover something with no assigned value as part of a group purchase?" 

Would any sane person send a wire transfer to someone they never met on the other side of the world with zero assurance of ever receiving anything? FWIW, we are also talking big dollar amounts here. 

Sounds like a great excuse to take a vacation trip down-under, sketch out the hot Aussie babes at the beach, visit the Evonne Goolagong-Rod Laver museum and pick up your guitars! :D

55 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

Sounds like a great excuse to take a vacation trip down-under, sketch out the hot Aussie babes at the beach, visit the Evonne Goolagong-Rod Laver museum and pick up your guitars! :D

I spent a month there in 1996 on my honeymoon with my ex. 

Atop Ayers Rock.

AttopAyersRock.jpg

On 3/21/2017 at 1:16 PM, kizanski said:

Tempting...

I can see it now:

"Dear moneyed phallus:

I hope this message finds you well. I have ascertained that you have inquired as to the purchase of one Hamer Steve Stevens model guitar..."

On 3/21/2017 at 10:26 AM, velorush said:

Yes, PayPal fees are avoided, but [additionally] in the instance of a nefarious seller a wire transfer represents an irreversible transaction. 

Once a wire is initiated there is no such thing as a stop payment - wire transfers are without recourse.  You transfer the cash and you are completely at the mercy and assumed good intentions of the seller. 

PayPal, for all of its ills, provides some recourse for non-performance.  This is also typically the case for other fee-based third-party mediums of exchange. 

No idea on anyone else's bank, but our bank charges $50 on the sending end of an international wire, $25 on the receiving end.  Assuming a 4% PayPal fee, that's break even at $1,250.00.  Pretty cheap for having recourse against a scam (my opinion).

" once sent that's it.,"  pretty much covered what you said..

As much as I don't care for paypal, it is easy and for the most part safe.. I'd say most guys negotiate the fees prior to absorbing them especially with the exchange rates.

With the new C.I.T.E.S. laws, I wont be buying or selling much abroad anymore, to many hassles for buyer and seller.

4 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Here's one of me before a dive I did several years ago off New England. 

jawshoopercage_large.jpg

And here's one from the dive, I got kinda scared when the shark showed up and accidentally flipped the camera the wrong way

I thought you looked good with the beard.  Never understand why you shaved it.  Great place to store crumbs from the seafood special.

On 3/22/2017 at 0:51 PM, Ed Rechts said:

Here's a great shot of our charter captain, who ran into a couple of snags while trying to draw sharks to the boat. You're so right, chumming is really not an ecologically responsible or safe method for providing a genuine shark/human experience, and I'm sure we all learned an important lesson that day.

jaws71.jpg.1f0345a1c5c57dda1341ac01358064e1.jpg

I think you needed a bigger boat.

• 3 months later...

Archived