Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Has this been posted - - Jol's updated site????

Pieman

http://dantzig.com/workshop/

Mods, if this is a dupe, please delete.

Jol, has updated his website.  Briefly, it has

- photos and prices for prototypes sold and available now

- photos and prices for models "available now" include a Monaco-styled model called the Milano 

- something called the Rialto

- a VG review of a Tulsa (Talladega-like) Korina

I will go back when I have time.  I will leave it to the wise guys to chime in on the headstock.

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

He builds really nice stuff. 

Wonder who writes those melodramatic narratives; Elaine Benes during her lunch breaks at J. Peterman? 

Not a bad deal, if it comes with an Urban Sombrero.

13 hours ago, DBraz said:

$38,000.

Thirty Eight THOUSAND Dollars.

Upcoming inflation counted in? B)

The Crow influenced my Scheithauer Charlie Christian Bo Diddley build. An absolutely crazy guitar.

3e82b4691368e75cc5f0a0da8f547663_zps3674

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Reminds me of every fucking used Monaco that I can buy for $1200 in new condition.

Exactly, except the Monaco has dot markers.   And you had a better idea of the builders.

Also, If you are going to tee off on Leo Fender's designs from the 1950s, why are you using a font for your logo that comes out of the Hapsburg dynasty.  Totally ruins the overall look and impression. At least for me.  All this from a guy who loves sports cars and touts his design esthetics.   The "signature guitars" didn't use it.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Exactly, except the Monaco has dot markers.   And you had a better idea of the builders.

It was Jol pushing the quality of the construction method at Hamer.  I expect anyone he hires to be producing the same level of quality.

16 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

He builds really nice stuff. 

Wonder who writes those melodramatic narratives; Elaine Benes during her lunch breaks at J. Peterman? 

This episode was on TV the night before last.  Classic.

IMG_8207.JPG

There is a builder out there named Mike Shishkov. Doing dream guitars for a few if not many and I mean many Benjamin's less than a pompous Dantzig. $3800 then let's talk  about what you really want$$$.  Mike knows his wood and how to make it harmoniz with a plan. Hamer was a success due to Mike and company! I have no grudge against Jol but I don't go for extortion! Check the Shishkov posts out and there can be no questions ask unless you ask them! I am sure Jol's guitars are something special, but no need to go there! Mike has it down!!!

The Tulsa could be a good base for "my idea" of what I might want to pursue. Substitute korina for the body and neck, ebony for the board and a few other tweaks.

I have the outline in the hands (emails) of two builders and await a reply. Neither of them have the initials J.D. ;)

Guys ... take it easy.  It's BRANDING.   Jol is targeting a certain buyer, just like any other luxury goods maker.  If you're cringing at the price, no worries - you're not a potential buyer anyway.  Those of us who wear Timex are not customers of Breitling or Rolex, and that's fine. If you're a Ford or Honda driver, Lamborghini doesn't care that you exist either.  If he can get somebody to buy at his prices, good for him.  If not, he's already creating a perception of where his stuff fits in the market, so if he DOeS want to sell to the common man, the "Team-built" lines are suddenly perceived as being reasonably-priced.

Its basic Marketing 101 - you don't have to like it or appreciate it, but it works.  He's getting the attention of a lot of people and media.  It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative.  If the only bad thing somebody can say is that the pricing is unreasonable, delusional or crack-inspired, so be it.  I don't think anybody will fault the quality of his (or his "team's") work.  He's promoting more of a lifestyle or 1% niche v. a "working man's guitar".   There's a place for that in the world whether people like it, think it's stupid or love it.  They're not for me, but I totally get what he's doing.  Hell, I remember people losing their fucking minds in the '70s because a Hamer Standard cost $1,250 when a new Les Paul was under $600...

Agreed-Jol presents each of these with a bit of history and insight into his design ideas for each one, which I think is what these are geared towards.

That is a specialized market that does have customers, so I get the appeal, even if it isn't necessarily something I could spring for at present!

13 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Guys ... take it easy.  It's BRANDING.   Jol is targeting rich assholes.

He's promoting more of a lifestyle or 1% niche, AKA: rich assholes, v. a "working man's guitar".

FIFY

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

FIFY

:D

Archived