Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Has this been posted - - Jol's updated site????

Pieman

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Guys ... take it easy.  It's BRANDING.   Jol is targeting a certain buyer, just like any other luxury goods maker.  If you're cringing at the price, no worries - you're not a potential buyer anyway.  Those of us who wear Timex are not customers of Breitling or Rolex, and that's fine. If you're a Ford or Honda driver, Lamborghini doesn't care that you exist either.  If he can get somebody to buy at his prices, good for him.  If not, he's already creating a perception of where his stuff fits in the market, so if he DOeS want to sell to the common man, the "Team-built" lines are suddenly perceived as being reasonably-priced.

Its basic Marketing 101 - you don't have to like it or appreciate it, but it works.  He's getting the attention of a lot of people and media.  It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative.  If the only bad thing somebody can say is that the pricing is unreasonable, delusional or crack-inspired, so be it.  I don't think anybody will fault the quality of his (or his "team's") work.  He's promoting more of a lifestyle or 1% niche v. a "working man's guitar".   There's a place for that in the world whether people like it, think it's stupid or love it.  They're not for me, but I totally get what he's doing.  Hell, I remember people losing their fucking minds in the '70s because a Hamer Standard cost $1,250 when a new Les Paul was under $600...

Good points.  And as always, I wish Jol the best of luck.  But the bottom line is that bagging on rich guys who buy Lambos and $38,000 guitars is as American as apple pie; hell, it's practically our national pastime.  ;)

23 hours ago, kizanski said:

Out of his fucking tree.  

Yes, he made it out of his fucking tree in his forested backyard.

oh

wait

you meant..........😎😀

14 minutes ago, Cary said:

Good points.  And as always, I wish Jol the best of luck.  But the bottom line is that bagging on rich guys who buy Lambos and $38,000 guitars is as American as apple pie; hell, it's practically our national pastime.  ;)

I agree with all of that.  

Except for wishing Jol the best of luck.  Fuck him in his face.  

6 hours ago, geowolves said:

There is a builder out there named Mike Shishkov. Doing dream guitars for a few if not many and I mean many Benjamin's less than a pompous Dantzig. $3800 then let's talk  about what you really want$$$.  Mike knows his wood and how to make it harmoniz with a plan. Hamer was a success due to Mike and company! I have no grudge against Jol but I don't go for extortion! Check the Shishkov posts out and there can be no questions ask unless you ask them! I am sure Jol's guitars are something special, but no need to go there! Mike has it down!!!

That German carve you see on the Dantzig Milano looks exactly like a Mike Shishkov carve.

There's a segment on the Hamer DVD showing him carving it with a grinder.

Sure does look like Mike carved Jol's Milano shown, doesn't it??

Im not saying that there shouldn't be uber priced guitars, but not for me.

Even if I were rich, I couldn't justify $38k for that particular guitar.

But again, I have no problem with others parting with their money on whatever they want.

Edit: found the 38.000 dollar guitar. One of three hand built beauties. Those are really something else. Not for me, but I can see why they are priced as they are. Must have taken a long time to build. Awesome detail. AND, they still look like something for the ordinary musician. Not like the ugly furniture instruments, that usually command prices like that. They look like rockers. The Sakura would look awesome around Ronnie Woods neck.

The "Team build instruments" looks like great guitars all of them. Would love to try them out! They would be equal to a Shishkov I guess. Don't know what I would buy of the two brands, if I was looking for something new. Those Tulsa Dantzigs sure looks tempting to me.

29 minutes ago, HSB0531 said:

That German carve you see on the Dantzig Milano looks exactly like a Mike Shishkov carve.

There's a segment on the Hamer DVD showing him carving it with a grinder.

Sure does look like Mike carved Jol's Milano shown, doesn't it??

Really?

I don't think that looks like anything Mike has done on his own guitars.  Mike's are more gradual and smooth, not like a German Carve at all in my view...

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Really?

I don't think that looks like anything Mike has done on his own guitars.  Mike's are more gradual and smooth, not like a German Carve at all in my view...

^^^^This^^^^

On 3/24/2017 at 5:54 PM, cmatthes said:

Really?

Actually what I meant was the German carve that Mike was doing in the video that Jol commented on.

I should have said it that way in the original post.

Yes, I agree with you on Mikes current guitars and the way he carves the tops and heels and those differences with the German carve Jol specified at Hamer.

The clarification being the Milano carve looked like work Mike did at Hamer as specified by Jol.

56 minutes ago, HSB0531 said:

Actually what I meant was the German carve that Mike was doing in the video that Jol commented on.

I should have said it that way in the original post.

Yes, I agree with you on Mikes current guitars and the way he carves the tops and heels and those differences with the German carve Jol specified at Hamer.

The clarification being the Milano carve looked like work Mike did at Hamer as specified by Jol.

Agreed.  

I still think $38,000 is insane for a new guitar.

Sure, I get that Jol has been around a long time and is highly respected (by some), but if I was a rich man I'd sooner gravitate to spending that sort of money on a vintage guitar with provenance.

I respect Chris's argument and agree that this can only be the only reason anyone would consider pricing any new guitar like that but if I was going to hang a guitar in a glass cabinet I'd like the mojo only a rare vintage could offer.

But for 10X less you could have 'Blondie', with description that includes '...Multi-lam lightweight pine body..... '.

Isn't that plywood?

19 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

But for 10X less you could have 'Blondie', with description that includes '...Multi-lam lightweight pine body..... '.

Isn't that plywood?

When I read that on his website It thought the same thing. LOL I do like his builds and enjoy reading his columns. Now with the team builds coming onto being closer to a feasible range I could see purchasing one. I was always a fan of the Crow, Tulsa and the Sakura, fine fine looking guitars. 

39 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Isn't that plywood?

Maybe for working stiffs like us it is.
You see, bubs, it's BRANDING.   Jol is targeting a certain buyer, just like any other luxury goods maker, so "Multi-lam lightweight pine body" is a lot more palatable term for the upper crusties.
They wouldn't waste their time with "plywood".... please....

His web site shows the Milano and the Tulsa at $3800 and $4800.  Sure that's more than I'd pay but I have a gut feeling any custom hand made guitar is going to be in this price range.  If Hamer was still putting out Monaco's and Talladega's I have a feeling they would only be $1000 below Joel's price.  I don't get all the whining.

4 minutes ago, dhuber said:

His web site shows the Milano and the Tulsa at $3800 and $4800.  Sure that's more than I'd pay but I have a gut feeling any custom hand made guitar is going to be in this price range.  If Hamer was still putting out Monaco's and Talladega's I have a feeling they would only be $1000 below Joel's price.  I don't get all the whining.

For the last few years of production, Monacos and Talladegas were listing for more than that.

58 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

For the last few years of production, Monacos and Talladegas were listing for more than that.

I figured as much. Any idea as to whether some of that list price was figured in as "contribution margin" for FMIC? 

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

"Multi-lam lightweight pine body" is a lot more palatable term for the upper crusties.
They wouldn't waste their time with "plywood".... please....

Multilaminate lightweight pine is to plywood as Polaner All Fruit is to jelly. 

Archived