Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer of HVLP Spray Guns, Anyone?

velorush

Question

I need to spray the peeling front bumper of my car (my first silver car... probably won't again!) and then there's the partscaster that needs some paint.  I think it's time to buy one of the new-fangled HVLP spray guns.  I've got nice old high pressure guns, but why use those when you can use the excuse to buy new tools?

Harbor Freight has a pair of guns for around $60.  Amazon has what appear to be better guns for all sorts of prices.  The beginner DeVilbiss guns seem to start at around $150.  I might not want to push the budgetary envelope that much.  My local NAPA store has one for $50.

Anyone have good experience with a decent spray gun?

6 answers to this question

Thanks!

There's a thread around here somewhere. Picking an ash '75 Strat for my first project probably wasn't the smartest thing ever, but I couldn't have been more pleased with the way it turned out. 

IMG_0955.JPG

On 3/25/2017 at 3:23 PM, mrjamiam said:

I would have said that the Hamer of anything wouldn't be found at Harbor Freight.

Brilliant! Yes, some things from HF actually are decent enough to use but certainly not all of it! (and no Hamer's of there IMO also)

I have used several guns, the Husky gravity feed gun from Home Depot is a couple notches above the HF stuff, I have 2 HF the Husky and a very old  Campbell Hausfeld that works awesome for being a syphon feed. I get to use DeVillbis at work and that's another level, an expensive one as you know...

I've got a HF gun that's going on close to 20 years old that still gets used occasionally. I've also had other HF guns that in a landfill somewhere as well.

The Sharpe FX1000 & FX 3000 guns are hard to beat for the money.

Your compressor and air filtration is just as important as your gun.

Archived