Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stopped by a Guitar Center today

Citrus

Stopped by a GC, had about 45 min to waste, figured I'd stop in to see what's new and play a couple of guitars

Any decent guitar (acoustic or electric) was locked up.  First time I'd seen that.

Went into the "high end" room and was really caught off guard by the prices of the Gibby's, PRSs, and Fenders.  

It made me realize how great a value, deal, whatever a Hamer is.  Even the one or 2 that I bought new compared as an incredible value for the $$$. 

I walked out of the store with a big ass sh*t eating grin when I thought about my Shishkov and what a steal that was in comparison.  

I got home and plugged in my korina Newport, and was really ecstatic about the instrument I had the good fortune to play/own.  When I finished, I went to the for sale forum here.  The Korina Jr and a couple of others had me gassing bad.  Just have to get past April 15th!!

So glad I discovered Hamer some 25 yrs ago.  Have bought many for a fraction of those other brands, and maintain 2 or3 Hamers that are at least the equal of the previously mentioned brands.  

Preaching to the choir here, but sometimes when you see what else is really out there, our Hamer's/(Shishkov's) are really hard to beat.

My 2 cents.  Enjoy your Hamer(s), you have an awesome guitar.

My last trip to GC was very dangerous. They had a barely used Mesa Lone Star Special with the tags still on for 1200.

The "premium room" was pretty much a joke.

I drove by a Guitar Center today, and wasn't even tempted to go in. I'll be driving that way again a little later this week. I'll make myself stop, just for the experience.  I also drive by one of the smaller local stores, Twin Town, on a daily basis and I do occasionally stop in there and buy stuff I actually need, cables and strings and stuff. I'm rarely tempted to even look to see what they've got on their guitar wall though. It's good to be guitar rich, so to speak, with a stable of usable and versatile Hamers. Oh, and that Shishkov in the corner too. Life is good!

Honestly, I go there mostly to check out used gear. If I was going to buy something new, I'd rather send the money the way of a company I like. Also with the rate of employee turnover, it's impossible to really find someone to build a relationship with. I buy my trombones and get them serviced at the same place I have since 1995, so I know pretty much everyone by name, and they know me, and know what I'm looking for.

12 hours ago, BruceM said:

I drove by a Guitar Center today, and wasn't even tempted to go in. I'll be driving that way again a little later this week. I'll make myself stop, just for the experience.  I also drive by one of the smaller local stores, Twin Town, on a daily basis and I do occasionally stop in there and buy stuff I actually need, cables and strings and stuff. I'm rarely tempted to even look to see what they've got on their guitar wall though. It's good to be guitar rich, so to speak, with a stable of usable and versatile Hamers. Oh, and that Shishkov in the corner too. Life is good!

I bought my ZVex SHO at Twin Town. Cool store

I get depressed going into music stores now. At first though, I laugh at the price tags. Everything is crazy high priced (USD to CAD conversion is BRUTAL these days) and the quality is questionable, at least in comparison to what we know. I'd take a pizza day or hameritis Hamer any day over anything "comparable" I see new in shops these days.  You guys and your Korina Newports...Good lawd, I'm envious.

I was hoping to hear that GC was having a 'going-out-of-business' sale, and there was a big bonfire of 'made in China' garbage.....

Well, you made the smart decision to keep your money in your wallet.

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

There really is nothing  of interest to me at GC, unless they've bent someone over on a trade in for something that may be of interest and have it in their used dept.

Exactly the reason I go to any GC these days. 

I'm currently still thinking about that MB Lone Star Special. Might take down my Marshall TSL122 and Carvin Vintage 16 to see how far they will get me towards the lone star.

The GC Atlanta mothership is really okay. Generally professional attitude, they added a guy who is widely known as being a first-rate tech, the pricing on used stuff is generally okay - sometimes high but sometimes a little low - and the boo-teek room has some pretty swanky stuff. They apprently have had management of GC use this location as an example of how to do it, though.

15 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

^^^^

I think the rest of the walls are filled with pointy Schecters.

Plus dozens of Squiers, MIM Fenders, Ibbies, and Epis.  None of which are remotely in tune. 

I've started going to my closest GC once every couple of weeks.  The visit takes less than 2 minutes 95% of the time.  I walk in, scan the place for anyone I know, go straight to the used section and right back out.  Occasionally I buy some picks or strings.

When my favorite mom & pop, Richmond Music Center, was still open I always took my time, talked to several of the employees (I knew almost everyone there by name and they knew me), and looked at everything new and used.  A visit there was usually 30 minutes or more.

Last two times I was in the local GC was for a used Duotone then a used G&L Fallout Tribute. Duotone was nice but chunk of the guitar/binding glued back in wasn't getting a grand out of me. The fallout was actually pretty sweet and had the orange finish. Only problem was had seen better prices and had too many already. Now that I still have too many but have sold off two Yamahas and three Hamer imports there is a little more wiggle room! Just like others I head right to the used wall as I already know why I'm there since I saw the used section on the GC website. 

Archived