Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA - 1981 Hamer USA Standard on Reverb

https://reverb.com/item/4878526-used-1981-hamer-standard-electric-guitar-refin-sunburst

Saw this one posted on Reverb a few minutes ago. Looks to be a nice refin. Not mine, though... Only posting because I'm an unabashed enabler. 

WAY overpriced for a retopped and refinished '81.

Like near double.

1 minute ago, cmatthes said:

WAY overpriced for a retopped and refinished '81.

Like near double.

Yeah, I thought that asking price would raise a few eyebrows... ;) Wowzers.

For a little better than half of that, you can have Shishkov 44, which is probably just a *little* better than that.

Then again, the seller does indicate exactly how much the Standard weighs.

(ducks)

Isn't that 0575, one of the near-the-end Hamer restorations?  I may be off on the serial, but I'm pretty sure it used to live in BC with dgstandard before landing in the hands of a banned former member.

Their "refinished at the Hamer factory" should also include "Kahler was removed, hole plugged, new veneer installed, and the guitar was then..."

17 minutes ago, cynic said:

Isn't that 0575, one of the near-the-end Hamer restorations?  I may be off on the serial, but I'm pretty sure it used to live in BC with dgstandard before landing in the hands of a banned former member.

Their "refinished at the Hamer factory" should also include "Kahler was removed, hole plugged, new veneer installed, and the guitar was then..."

Some glaring omissions in the description to be sure..............

4 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Some glaring omissions in the description to be sure..............

To be fair, I should add that Music Zoo may not be aware of everything that was done.

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

Yup.

1 minute ago, cynic said:

To be fair, I should add that Music Zoo may not be aware of everything that was done.

Absolutely they may not be...................I have had friends buy guitars and other gear from them and they were very pleased with the service and the purchases.

I have two regrets about this guitar:

1. Having it re-topped and refinished.  Looking back I wished i asked for a best match to the veneer as possible on filling in the kahler route. A bit of Hamer history lost although it was pretty beat.  Kim was terrific to work with and the guys in the shop did a masterful job to make this guitar what it is today.

2. Selling it as it was one of the nicest guitars I ever had the pleasure of owning.  I was offered a significant amount more than what the suggested FMV stated in an earlier post when I sold it and in my eyes it was worth every penny.

I still think about this one.  The neck is the most comfortable I have ever played.  If I had the scratch I would buy it again.  It just needs its creme switch tip back. 🤘

9 hours ago, dgstandard said:

I have two regrets about this guitar:

1. Having it re-topped and refinished.  Looking back I wished i asked for a best match to the veneer as possible on filling in the kahler route. A bit of Hamer history lost although it was pretty beat.  Kim was terrific to work with and the guys in the shop did a masterful job to make this guitar what it is today.

When you had Hamer do the work they brought it up to their level of quality.  The top looks perfect and the plug underneath is probably perfectly matched to the grain of the original mahogany.  Paying for that work was because of what... you expected the guitar to be a keeper?  You made the right decision at the time.

8 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

When you had Hamer do the work they brought it up to their level of quality.  The top looks perfect and the plug underneath is probably perfectly matched to the grain of the original mahogany.  Paying for that work was because of what... you expected the guitar to be a keeper?  You made the right decision at the time.

TOTALLY agree.

Although most of the qualities that made it a four digit were lost...  I have no doubt it's a great guitar, but it is no longer 'collectible' as original.

On 13.4.2017 at 3:24 PM, serial said:

Although most of the qualities that made it a four digit were lost...

It sure is not original anymore. However, what qualities had been lost by the refin other than the Kahler? I'm just having in mind who'd been in the workshop in the last Hamer days. 

As nice as the new finishes are and as skillfully as they are applied by some of the greatest guitar finish guys ever, part of a 'four digit' is the original finish. The modern Hamer was never able to reproduce the look of the original finishes. 

Just as much a part of the sound is the original Dimarzio pickups.  Personally, I think the Duncans they used in the later Standards sound terrible.

Finally, the new maple cap is that over-the-top (imho) 'screen-door' flame maple with lines running north-south and east-west.  You simply will never see an original four digit with that type of woodgrain (and the new top is also thicker than the original veneer). You can spot those new 'Hamer-approved' tops in less than half of a second and they look very wrong on a four digit to me.

Archived