Hamer Fan Club Message Center

That'll Buff Right Out??

tomteriffic

Question

First of the year I bought a "new to me" slightly used car.  It's perfect for my purposes and should fulfill my intent of it being my "last car".  But it has a couple of scuffs in the clearcoat.  Little things, not scratches and I'd hesitate to call them scrapes, even.  The worst was a rather clumsy attempt by the dealer to get rid of the previous dealer's decal/sticker.

What's a good no muss, no fuss product to use to clean these up?  Multi-step solutions or stuff requiring power tools need not apply.  I'd just feel better having these gone from the get-go.

10 answers to this question

3M makes a great buffing compound called Finesse-It.  It removed a buttload of scratches from the dog trying to jump in the car window. I thought we'd need to have the car repainted, but 90% of them came out. Good stuff.

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products are nice. They make a bunch of different compounds, swirl remover, etc.

Some of those "scuffs" may even just be plastic deposited on the clear coat, so just polishing them may make them come off.

14 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products are nice. They make a bunch of different compounds, swirl remover, etc.

Some of those "scuffs" may even just be plastic deposited on the clear coat, so just polishing them may make them come off.

meguiars stuff is nice, and you can get it at wal mart pep boys etc...   I have the regular grade stuff and

then there is a finer grade (scratch x I think)  I have a little foam buff wheel that goes on a power drill

that works well too... 

I've got the 3M Finesse-It (very fine) and Kit Scratch-Out (not as very fine but still quite fine) on clients' guitars for mild scratches, shine 'em up and especially for taking shit and crud build-up on finishes that naphtha won't remove. I'd try that stuff first, Tom. Buffs out guite quite nicely. No need for a buffer - I use old white t-shirts and elbow grease and get really good results.

Get the 3M stuff that's what all the good body shops use there will be a grade / cut for every job. Read the directions and get stuff that is designed for hand use. Take your time and you will be amazed at the results you can get. 

I just buffed out all the paint swirls in the new-to-me '06 Vette.  Used Griot's Garage polishing compound (Available at AutoZone) and finished it up with their one-step sealant/wax.  Worked out great.  I'd avoid the Turtle Wax rubbing/polishing compound, as it gets chalky fast and leaves a trail of white dust all over your finish (Ask me how I know...).

If you want to save your arms but don't to spend a fortune on power tools, I HIGHLY recommend going to Harbor Freight and picking up their $50 six inch dual action polisher, a couple orange compound pads (46 each) and a black finishing pad.  The quality isn't as good as the higher priced polishers (Porter Cable, et al), but is easy to use and will save you a bunch of time and effort.  The clutch on the polishing wheel will prevent burning through the clear coat.

There are tons of videos available on how to use a DA polisher and removing swirls.  Check out this page from www.autogeek.net for starters:  http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

I remember reading somewhere (probably here)  that used car dealers use a special polishing clay

that fills all the scratches and nicks,  but it breaks down and dissipates in a couple weeks  (ie: as soon

as you drive it off the lot)     how nice!!  

Archived