Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ballpark estimate for finishing work?

Kinda toying with the idea of eventually ( a bit too broke right now) getting some paint work done to my Studio. There's one big chip and two smaller areas where the finish has come right off down to the wood. This is all due to user error. :huh:

So I want to get those patches fixed up. I was also thinking of doing a bit of pin-striping in pehlham blue (the guitar is silver).

I know prices could vary a lot, but what would be a ballpark estimate?

Would that be to do the whole guitar? Or could you touch up some spots for a bit cheaper? thanks

33 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I don't know of anyone who is interested in the stress of color matching and warranting a $100 job. 

Sounds like a DIY project. 

Good point

4 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

Is there wood missing from the big chip?

Pictures would help in maybe giving you some options on what to do.

No, from the big chip, the wood is okay. I can post a couple of pics later tonight. Maybe DIY is a good option, but I'll have to do a lot of research to make sure not to fuck it up! ha

50 minutes ago, phoenix said:

but he needs every wood-particle aligned with his coolness and we need to charge more than caffeinated drinks for that...

I don't pretend to be cool, but at least I can have a cool looking guitar!  😂😂

Yeah, that's the one! Since then I dropped it and put a really big chip in it, luckily at the back.  

Really love this guitar. 

It's a cool axe. But my thinking is for the cost of a refin. (Plus value of the guitar) You could probably pay for something pretty cool.  Say an artist custom.     If you do hit it with a refin   You'll also be left with something that might actually be worth less than it is now.      As far as ding repair.    A future buyer may possibly think the visible dings are better than a homemade touch up.      If u really like the axe then go for it.  I do think the axe looks cool as is.     

I'm starting to think you're right DaveL. I'm going to stop worrying about the cosmetics and rock it.  😃

If you refin it, then you're gonna end up worrying about putting the first NEW dent in it...and because of that, you probably won't play it much at all; or worse, just end up selling it because it doesn't get played.  Like you just said, might as well rock it as is, It's already paid for!  Besides, honest wear and tear is the coolest wear and tear.  B)

8 hours ago, crunchee said:

If you refin it, then you're gonna end up worrying about putting the first NEW dent in it...and because of that, you probably won't play it much at all; or worse, just end up selling it because it doesn't get played.  Like you just said, might as well rock it as is, It's already paid for!  Besides, honest wear and tear is the coolest wear and tear.  B)

+1

Yeah.....in another 20 years it'll look GREAT!!

Remember, Fender charges thousands just to beat up ONE guitar. 

Can you imagine their cost to destroy an entire guitar BRAND?

IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

5 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I think your bridge volume knob is just a skosh off center. :o

I think that's an optical illusion in the pic due to a reflection from the top carve. It lines up, no worries.  😎

29 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I was just playin' with you because of the 'obsession" with cosmetics! I never saw anything wrong !LOL👍🏻

:o 😂😂 :D

Archived