Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vector 83 - knobs and pickups -

frode

Question

hi HFC experts

i need you help here....

i'm trying to figure out what knobs are the original ones on a Vector from ´83 ? ( black )

and where to get them if these are not the correct knobs....

and the same goes for pickups ..... what are the original ones ?

since i bought this one and there's something not completely right here....

this is my first vector so i'm not sure what it is supposed to look like

any help is much appreciated

-frode

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

17 answers to this question

Awesome guitar! & It just so happens I've pulled a few of my Vector's out for an alien autopsy... I don't know about a 83 but the 81's & 82's have top hats.. http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Top_Hat_Bell_Knob.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2017-04-gp&gclid=Cj0KEQjwofHHBRDS0Pnhpef89ucBEiQASEp6LI-dbCNg5hDlbAA7-RAFe8ixQvJFb-ITM6JD15GPMc8aAqRw8P8HAQ

also try Amazon... Gibson Gear PRHK-010

& as far as pickups are concerned, my "SB Bridge" Vectors have the earlier Hamer spec hotter PAF DiMarzio's... I believe in 83ish they were the DiMarzio "Slammer" pickups... I believe they're the same pickups but are branded "Hamer" on the back... I'm not sure if they would put anything different in trem equipped Vectors... I hope this helps :PztHZWxY.jpg

6AEAmLL.jpg

Sqm7pV1.jpg

BxmYNpt.jpg

FAmnFPo.jpg

83 Vector would more likely than not have fouble black Slammers (With "Hamer USA" on the brass plate) and knobs would be the cheesy plastic black ones (not the ones on an 81).

thank you very much dave and serial for helping me out with this...

when i search for pictures of a vector and vector 83 i haven't found any with a "tremolo arm"

so i'm slowly realizing that i've brought some kind of mixed up / homegrown guitar regarding wiring, tremolo arm

and maybe other stuff ... 

but i'll see if i get it into shape :D

anyways greatfull for all help

-frode

s-l1600.jpg

On 4/25/2017 at 1:10 AM, frode said:

so i'm slowly realizing that i've brought some kind of mixed up / homegrown guitar regarding wiring, tremolo arm

No not at all, that guitar you have is totally legit & rare with that Sustain Bridge tremolo... here's a picture of my 83 Blitz with the same SB tremolo... Although not rare on the Blitz...6AmjpMd.jpg

vi6hYff.jpg

^^ notice the "Black Slammer  pickups" & different knobs^^...

Do yourself a favor, on the next string change, check your pickups base plate to see if it says "Hamer" & if not, they're fairly available for replacement...

I've seen Hamers with various types of knobs... here's the set "like yours" a fellow HFC member is selling on eBay Sac4PHa.jpg

13 hours ago, serial said:

....more likely than not have fouble black Slammers....

By FiMarzio? Or were those Feymour Funcan?

If it's important to you to have the original type knobs, well, everyone gets to decide what's important to them.  But unless it will bring you an enormous amount of satisfaction to find and buy original knobs, I'd say not to bother, and use what you've got or what you prefer.  The original cheesy black plastic ones are not to be desired, other than for originality, in my opinion.  I've pulled the ones off of my Cruisebass (keeping them in the case, of course) and I'm using speed knobs like yours.

That guitar is totally legit. I used to own a similar one. A tone monster I should've never sold. Here is a pic of it. It did have the tremolo arm, but never used it, so it's not in the pic. The knobs are the original ones.

hamer_blueburst_002.jpg

5 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey Lonel, I can't tell, are those knobs like the ones with numbers or like my Blitz?

Like your Blitz. Those are what they call here "the cheesy plastic black ones". Here's a couple of clearer pics of it:

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

hi gents

i've just received the vector from Poland today and it looks good overall

and regarding the nobs i think i'll keep these on

and will check the pickups when i change the strings

but now i have to give it a spin through the amplifier :)

-frode

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

6 hours ago, frode said:

hi gents

i've just received the vector from Poland today and it looks good overall

and regarding the nobs i think i'll keep these on

and will check the pickups when i change the strings

but now i have to give it a spin through the amplifier :)

-frode

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

So, tell us how it sounded and how it felt. 

FYI, we have high expectations. :lol:

hi zoorow

i'd say it was a different experience for me since first of i'm new to a vector and i didn't have a strap

so sitting with it was somewhat strange - or it could not be done looking kinda normal

so i ended up sitting with it downwards - yes i know

one old bloke bending downwards with his new guitar ....not to rock'n roll  :D

but it sounded good and it feels good

and i spoke to the previous owner and the pickups are

some sort of epiphone pickups....

but i'm going to test the vector a bit more before i'll see if i should change the pickups to a more original configuration

-frode

On 07/05/2017 at 4:30 PM, frode said:

hi zoorow

i'd say it was a different experience for me since first of i'm new to a vector and i didn't have a strap

so sitting with it was somewhat strange - or it could not be done looking kinda normal

so i ended up sitting with it downwards - yes i know

one old bloke bending downwards with his new guitar ....not to rock'n roll  :D

but it sounded good and it feels good

and i spoke to the previous owner and the pickups are

some sort of epiphone pickups....

but i'm going to test the vector a bit more before i'll see if i should change the pickups to a more original configuration

-frode

I hadn't read your reply. I guess we need a more up-to-date report as of today. ;)

BTW, the right way to play a V while sitting is making it to "sit" on top of your picking-hand's thigh. The pics below show how:

maxresdefault.jpg

chad_75_pb.jpg

Archived