Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Slammer Series, What Nut?

Rich_S

My Slammer Series Sunburst is a badass little guitar, but its tuning stability isn't good.  I already changed the tuners to real-deal Schallers, although I knew they weren't the problem.  The real problem is that the strings are binding at the nut; I get that telltale "ping" sound when I tune it.

The previous owner used .009 strings, but I use .010s, that may be part of the problem.  On the other hand, the nut isn't great.  I don't know what its made of, it could be Graphtec, or more likely it's just cheap black plastic.  The slots are definitely too deep, the low E is the only string not buried it its slot by a diameter or more.

hamer_nut_zpsporsfwhj.jpg

I know the classic cut-to-the-chase solution is simply, "install a new bone nut", but is this one worth trying to save?  Does anybody know what the Slammer Series nuts were made of? 

I'll probably have a local repairman do the work since I'm not set up with nut files and the other shaping tools.  But what should I ask for?  Simply chase out the slots so my .010s fit without binding?  Reduce the overall height to make the slot depths more reasonable?  Or simply replace the whole thing with a new nut?

Have your local guy install a new bone nut~ It's a relatively inexpensive procedure... provide him with a new set of 10's and call it done! :D... looks like your strings are hitting the frets... if you like to experiment like me, you can always dab a little epoxy in the groove "let dry" to raise it temporarily until you get it to your local guitar repair dude

After I posted last night, I checked the slot depth by pressing at the 3rd fret and trying to slide a piece of paper between the strings and the 1st fret.  The paper slid under half the strings easily, but there was some friction and interference on the others.  So, not only is the nut way too tall, some of the slots are cut too low.  Rather than try to build them back up, I'll just get it replaced.

Archived