Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD: Newport

Love the one I picked up off fee bay.

It's korina and the owner had work done supposedly @ BCR.  He added a 3rd knob, so vol,vol, tone-with a push push split  The pup selector is moved to below the treble f hole.  Works, sounds great, and I would love it even more if the neck were a bit thicker front to back.  Plenty big side to side.

Might even consider a Newport with phat 🐈 s. Maybe see what Me Shishkov's got up his sleeve.......

I sold my 1980 Special to fund a badass Newport.....I really get why some people say they are the best model Hamer ever made. I will never sell mine. It just screams RNR.. 1954 to 2017....

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

Any suggestions for strings?  Gauge?brand?

Elixir 11-49s. The Newport sounded great out of the box, but those 11-49s really woke it up to another level--bigger, fuller tone. Ease of playability didn't suiffer either--just as easy to play as the 10-46s I removed. 

Just now, JohnnyB said:

Elixir 11-49s. The Newport sounded great out of the box, but those 11-49s really woke it up to another level--bigger, fuller tone. Ease of playability didn't suiffer either--just as easy to play as the 10-46s I removed. 

I have reg 10-46 on mine but I have heard too many peeps talk about the Elixir 11s.....I will try a set on my next string change....

Just now, Jakeboy said:

I have reg 10-46 on mine but I have heard too many peeps talk about the Elixir 11s.....I will try a set on my next string change....

11-49 is light for 11s, but that gauge seems to be a tipping point for the Newport--a little more string pressure on the bridge, transferring more vibration to that carved spruce top.

4 hours ago, RobB said:

That's a beauty guitar, Bubba. Spruce/mahogany/rosewood...how can you go wrong?

I kinda miss my Newport goldtop, but it went to a good home and an HFCer.

And I love it, too. Played three sets with it just last Friday. It crossed my mind a couple of times to play the other guitar I had brought, but it never seemed to happen.

I want another one with Phatcats so bad I can't see straight.

1 hour ago, Lockbody said:

And I love it, too. Played three sets with it just last Friday. It crossed my mind a couple of times to play the other guitar I had brought, but it never seemed to happen.

I want another one with Phatcats so bad I can't see straight.

The Phat Cat/spruce top combo turns the Newport into an extension of your brain.

15 hours ago, GASguy said:

I love Newports, my first and favorite Hamer model; I currently have 5 of them in different wood combos / configurations.

5 of them? That's pretty much close to Belgian's Newport collection.

ETA: welcome to the club BubbaVO.

9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

The Phat Cat/spruce top combo turns the Newport into an extension of your brain.

It really does. The neck pickup is to die for...no mud at all and the bridge pup is just pure RNR in P90 fashion, even though it doesn't sound like a true P90.

It is it's own thing.

And it's a good one.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:37 AM, Jakeboy said:

It really does. The neck pickup is to die for...no mud at all and the bridge pup is just pure RNR in P90 fashion, even though it doesn't sound like a true P90.

It is it's own thing.

And it's a good one.

Josh wound up a p90 for me last year.  I was thinking of putting it in te Newport,   But the Seth Lovers are really good. I especially like the neck pup after raising the pole pieces just a bit.  I can dig in with a pick and get some bite.  Playing with my fingers, I get sweet and smooth tones.  I really am impressed at how responsive the guitar is to what I give it.  I'm now reluctant to mess with the stock formula.  

I may have posted this before, and if so I offer no apologies. I have a Newport Pro with an extra set of electronics and pickups. I have swapped them often. Each time I put the Phat Cats in I feel like I've got it just right. After awhile I start to miss the Seth Lovers and swap them. Once again I feel like this is the best set up, and on and on and on. Presently I have the Seth's in and it doesn't get better until...... You just can't go wrong with a Newport!

DSC00636.jpg

ArnieZ

I had a Newport Pro (upgraded pups) posted for sale for quite a while. Two near sales, but both fell through. Y'all convinced me to give it a second chance. So I played it again this evening, I am keeping it. As well as the NP with Phat Cats. Just too much good stuff going on.

I DO have to try 11-49s, which I do have on the semi-hollow that (nearly) forced the NP Pro out the door. Really transformed that guitar, but it is sure worth checking out.

6 hours ago, dhuber said:

I've never played a Newport.  Is the body size the same as the Artist and Studio?

no slightly larger, but very comfortable

Still in the honeymoon phase.  I wonder how Christy Brinkley turned into the "wife" for Billy Joel.   Or Elaine Irwin did for John Cougar.    Maybe this one will be more like Iman to Bowie.   lol

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

Archived