Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Good acoustic?

The Ovations I have/had were good all the way up (more electric-like than any other I've played) and were cheap on the used market. The Taylors are that way too, just not cheap.

I have a Korean made 12 string Breedlove Stage series that is a really good Acoustic in every way. I also have played several US made Taylor 150e 12 Strings a few years ago. They sounded, felt, and played great. They were going south of $700. I noticed Taylor & Martin over the last several years coming out with more straightforward, less blingy, models with Solid tops and laminated back and sides that people really like also. IIRC The Taylors are made in the US. Martin looks like they have some of theirs made in Mexico. 

6 hours ago, JimiH said:

I don't think I have played an acoustic that you couldn't drive a bus between the 12th fret and string. Are cheap acoustics much worse than cheap electrics?

The Yamaha AC3M is the best string action acoustic I have ever touched. Still have that one. Also sold a few FG Series Yamahas that were also very low action. Still have a FS 720 which also is great along with a LS16 again very nicely set up. Never had to adjust any if them. I sold the FG 730S and FG730SC as once I got the AC3M I bonded with the smaller body concert acoustic more so than a dreadnaught size. 

Alvarez has alway been really good for the money.................some of the Yari stuff is pretty spendy. I found one quite awhile back for $25.00..............no typo 25 bucks!. Lady was selling at a garage sale {AT a VERY nice residence I might add} and just wanted to get it sold.Said it WAS her daughters.........I didn't ask any questions. It did not have a case and needed new strings, I had it set up by a local pro with a new saddle and bridge pins as well. he found a new case in the back and gave it to me for $50.00.The guitar itself is in excellent condition and rings like a bell and plays like a electric,the action is that good. Here is the very same guitar being sold on REVERB, a Alvarez 5072.This one looks pretty nice as well.https://reverb.com/item/4919689-used-alvarez-1996-5072-jumbo-natural?gclid=CKihhLSI39MCFdu6wAodQ24MVQ&pla=1

55 minutes ago, louhamer said:

Prs SE Angelus:

get one used

The mahogany A10 and Alex Lifeson SEs are quite nice, also.  The A10 was the first PRS where I tried different versions of the same model in the store and one stood out above the others.  The place I was at had four, and the one I got stood out to me.  Very good action all over the neck.

My 1989 Guild D25 plays better than LOTs of electrics.. you just gotta look around and play some....

7 hours ago, geowolves said:

The Yamaha AC3M is the best string action acoustic I have ever touched. Still have that one. Also sold a few FG Series Yamahas that were also very low action. Still have a FS 720 which also is great along with a LS16 again very nicely set up. Never had to adjust any if them. I sold the FG 730S and FG730SC as once I got the AC3M I bonded with the smaller body concert acoustic more so than a dreadnaught size. 

Absolutely. Yamaha's acoustics are always top quality, even their mid-line models. 

Don't rule out Recording King. Their higher-end guitars have solid woods and nitro finishes. The Schoenberg parlors are the shite.

Used:

Simon & Patrick

La Patrie

Larrivee

Seagull

USA Guilds (80s-early 2000s). Solid instruments that are often undervalued. I have a New Hartford D-55, it's a cannon. Maybe more than you'd want to spend, but good deals come up occasionally for their less-blingy models. 

There are definitely bargaines to be had.

And don't discount doing the simple adjustments on the ones already in your stable-

Its amazing what a new set of strings, some nut sauce (ahem), and a tiny tweak of the truss rod will do to an otherwise dud.

In addition to some pretty nice vintage acoustics, I have two particular "cheap" acoustics that keep showing up and showing off.

8 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Alvarez has alway been really good for the money.................some of the Yari stuff is pretty spendy. I found one quite awhile back for $25.00..............no typo 25 bucks!. Lady was selling at a garage sale {AT a VERY nice residence I might add} and just wanted to get it sold.Said it WAS her daughters.........I didn't ask any questions. It did not have a case and needed new strings, I had it set up by a local pro with a new saddle and bridge pins as well. he found a new case in the back and gave it to me for $50.00.The guitar itself is in excellent condition and rings like a bell and plays like a electric,the action is that good. Here is the very same guitar being sold on REVERB, a Alvarez 5072.This one looks pretty nice as well.https://reverb.com/item/4919689-used-alvarez-1996-5072-jumbo-natural?gclid=CKihhLSI39MCFdu6wAodQ24MVQ&pla=1

Love Alvarez. I have a late 60's or early 70's one with solid sitka spruce top and beautifyl laminated rosewood back and sides, (laminted rosewood on rosewood).

That one on Reverb has laminated spruce top though. Laminated sides are debated as being just as good as solid wood for tone, if it's a high quality laminate (which they almost always use in Japan). But I would try to find a solid spruce top. It is considered better for tone. And usually means higher quality over all.

There are many great 70's and 80's Alvarez and Yamaha guitars out there at great prices.

Here is a really nice Yamaha. Solid spruce top, x-bracing etc. https://reverb.com/item/4203712-yamaha-fg-450sa-dreadnought-style-acoustic-guitar-89-94-solid-spruce-top-great-cond-w-hsc

Like any guitar, it's setup. You or a tech can get truss rod, nut, bridge saddle, string gauge set up so you like it. I set up my very nice Alvarez-Yairi and my travel-beater-cheap Ovation to play well with 10s, so it doesn't feel like an alien instrument switching from electric, even if I lose a little volume or boom.

Speaking of Yamaha acoustics I got this one back 5 years ago or so for $500.00.it had all the good stuff and it was the rarer D=Deep Body, OHSC as well. it played and sounded marvelous.Yamaha APX 20D21jx3pk.jpg

I have one China guitar in all 14 or so.  It's a Yamaha LL6 with no pickup.  I bought it new about 5 years ago.  The action is great and the guitar sounds good.  The guitar works perfect for what I bought it for.

Features

• Body Type: Dreadnought
  • Body Wood: Rosewood
  • Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce
  • Scale Length: 650mm (25-9/16")
  • Neck Joint: Dovetail
  • Neck Wood: Mahogany/ Rosewood (3 ply)
  • Fretboard: Ebony
  • Frets: 20
  • Nut Width: 44mm (1-3/4")
  • Bridge: Ebony
  • Tuners: Die-cast
  • Hardware color: Gold
  • Finish: Hi-Gloss

Yamaha LL6.JPG

If you can roll with that body style and tone, I like late 90's 2000-'s Ovations,  but the nicer ones, elites, legends, custom

legends, saw a nice 2000-ish legend cutaway at my local gc, played awesome.  you can sometimes find them cheap

(under $500)  but then again, keep an eye on the fretwear.      I think they compete pretty well for

say a used taylor (114ce, 214ce which have laminate backs anyway) in that same range.  

18 hours ago, dhuber said:

I have one China guitar in all 14 or so.  It's a Yamaha LL6 with no pickup.  I bought it new about 5 years ago.  The action is great and the guitar sounds good.  The guitar works perfect for what I bought it for.

Features

• Body Type: Dreadnought
  • Body Wood: Rosewood
  • Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce
  • Scale Length: 650mm (25-9/16")
  • Neck Joint: Dovetail
  • Neck Wood: Mahogany/ Rosewood (3 ply)
  • Fretboard: Ebony
  • Frets: 20
  • Nut Width: 44mm (1-3/4")
  • Bridge: Ebony
  • Tuners: Die-cast
  • Hardware color: Gold
  • Finish: Hi-Gloss

Yamaha LL6.JPG

These rock! 

Yeah there is not much of a difference between the LL6 guitar,and the LLl6 the pickup and sold wood versus laminate back and sides. That being said from what I read people that have tried both say not much  difference in sound. A winner either way!  Spend a few more dollars, your choice!  Love mine!

While there is a good deal of brand loyalty here between New Hartford stablemates Hamer and Ovation, I cringe when I hear Ovation recommended as an acoustic guitar. While they have their uses, an Ovation does not play, feel, or sound like an acoustic guitar, for a simple reason: wood. 

Hamer fans have long appreciated that while the import Hamers were a great bang-for-the-buck, the USA made Hamers were still a better instrument. Time marches on, and in 2017, I see no reason to look to a USA made acoustic guitar over a Chinese made one if your top concern is the quality of instrument you end up with for your dollar over the name on the headstock.  Brands worth considering include Eastman, Blue Ridge, Recording King, and Teton. I have four China made Bedell acoustic guitars (Bedell owns Breedlove), and have no regrets selling my Lowden and Huss & Dalton. 

6 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

No one said that an Ovation sounds like an all wood guitar.  Ovations do sound good in their own way.  For someone wanting to play Heart or Rush songs Ovation has the correct tone.

Yes. There are lots of "sounds like an acoustic guitar" from Macaferris to nylon-strings to D-28s to little parlor guitars to Rainsongs. I like my brother's Gibson Hummingbird or my Alvarez-Yairi more than I like my Ovation, but it's still a fun guitar and works well amplified in particular.

Archived