Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rick's Budakan Amp.

Hasn't he used like two Rivera modded Deluxe Reverbs since like the late 70s or early 80s?

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The scratched film effect is unnecessary.  The out of focus effect was even more unnecessary. 

Almost reminds me of the overplayed Rodriguez/Tarantino retro cinematic shtick. A little goes a L O N G way. 

I couldn't get past the misspelling of "restoration".

21 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I couldn't get past the misspelling of "restoration".

While it was "prolly" an innocent mistake, such internet-age misspellings nearly make me "loose" my mind. 😆

Just now, Biz Prof said:

While it was "prolly" an innocent mistake, such internet-age misspellings nearly make me "loose" my mind. 😆

That one was so bad that even spellcheck didn't stop it!

19 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

That one was so bad that even spellcheck didn't stop it!

I had a student many moons ago who so badly misspelled "gourmet steak" in a digital presentation of a business plan that the best suggestion that spellcheck could muster was "garment streak".  His classmates had a field day with that one. 

55 minutes ago, unfun75 said:

I think I've met that guy at Sound Pure. His shop has a great reputation. 

Tim Ristau, he's a good dude.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 2:00 PM, bubs_42 said:

That is the sound I want. I sure don't need 100 watts of it, but I wish my little Class 5 was about 12 or 15 watts. 

This is why I sold my Class 5 combo and went to Marshall 18 watt clones.  More headroom, more volume, more flexibility...still without making my ears ring (usually).  B)

On 5/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, Biz Prof said:

I had a student many moons ago who so badly misspelled "gourmet steak" in a digital presentation of a business plan that the best suggestion that spellcheck could muster was "garment streak".  His classmates had a field day with that one. 

Many years ago, I once was in a college Psychology course, where one day we had a 'word association' game in class using Psychology terms, and the class was split into two sides to make it competitive.  One female student was given the word 'oral', and the associated word the instructor (who was also female, BTW) was looking for to complete that term was 'stage'.  That's not what the female student said, though.  :blink:  Moral: you don't need modern technology to make a 'Freudian slip'.  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:   P.S.: This happened in the very early '80's, so it's not likely that the current events of the time influenced the answer.

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

You, Slash, and everyone else that recorded with that amp. 

I wonder where it is these days. Studio Instrument Rental is still around, and Tim Caswell, who designed the modification, is still around too, though he left SIR in the mid 80s. I think he actually put out a #39 amplifier for a while.

30 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Leslie West played through my JCM 900 once on a loaner deal. Wanted it. Wanted it for a half it's worth. I laughed in his face. And he is one of my heroes. 

That's funny.  I played through one of Leslie's amps for years.
It didn't help...

Yes, we all know its "In the hands and the heart" and not int he gear. Not only did Slash use the amp but that amp was rented more than any other amp in the lineup for a long time. Could it be cloned? Maybe, but sometimes those old amps have it and sometimes they don't. 

54 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

it's not cool too steal an amp leased to you while you are pawning everything around you to buy drugs

Yes it is.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I wonder where it is these days. Studio Instrument Rental is still around, and Tim Caswell, who designed the modification, is still around too, though he left SIR in the mid 80s. I think he actually put out a #39 amplifier for a while.

Well, Caswell had the advantage of the integral Tremolo circuit in that particular head, which made his modification a bit easier to execute. After reading accounts of what he actually did to #39, I don't think it was anything really exotic or voodoo-centric. In fact, Marshall's own factory mods to Randy Rhoads' custom heads followed a similar preamp architecture IIRC. What Caswell did with #39 that might have made it sound slightly different from similarly modded Marshalls was his experimentation with various cap values.

Lynch has always been a footnote in the historical timeline of #39, but as others here have mentioned (via Michael Wagener himself), multiple Laney and Marshall amp heads, plus a pedestrian Fostex 4-track were employed to build his holy grail tone on ULAK.

So, if you're interested, here's one distillation:

SIR #39

Archived