Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FM Special bridge pickup choice?

Morning. I would like a different sound from FM Special bridge p.u.. Currently have 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. I would like to hear from those that have changed out the JB and what you went with and the results. Thanks in advance!

Agreed. Let him know what you've got, what you're looking for AND....boom! A pickup that works perfectly for what you've got and what you were looking for.

JBs are cool but what you probably don't want is another 44AWG wind with an Alnico V magnet.

The resistance of the pickup usually tells you what gauge of wire was used... a JB is 17k-ish and that is about the maximum amount of turns you can do with 44AWG before you lose the 44AWG sweet spot... you can go all of the way up to 18k but that's pretty much the limit for 44AWG. You'll notice that JBs are pretty heavy and the bobbins are full.

A step down from 44AWG would be 43AWG and in Duncan terms, that is the Custom Series, Screamin' Demon and Full Shred. These are "medium" output pickups. They have tighter low ends and a more relaxed midrange... the JB's midrange is decidedly nasal and can be harsh depending on the rig and body wood. The JB has a liquid feel to it... an almost buttery response where you just glide all over the fretboard. It lacks low midrange punch... that "liquid feel" is a highly compressed low midrange that just disappears in dense mixes leaving only the nasal upper midrange frequencies reaching the listener's ear. That can work great for metal. JBs also come alive with lower tunings... a JB in standard tuning can be very problematic... a detune to Eb always helps the JB's peak resonance move down the frequency spectrum a bit to a more pleasing range.

A step down from 43AWG is the "vintage voiced" pickups in 42AWG. Your '59n is wound with 42AWG wire. The problem with 42AWG wire is the low midrange and bass frequencies... they can overwhelm the signal, providing a too-boomy bass and speaker stressing too-fat low midrange frequencies. I would get that '59n as low in the ring as it will go.

I wish that manufacturers used the Custom 5 with the '59 neck... the '59/JB is just not good IMHO. A '59/Custom hybrid is actually another great choice to pair with the '59 Neck as far as SD is concerned. Mixing SD and DiMarzio usually requires a magnet flip and or swapping the hot and ground.

If you wanna go with Josh Gravelin (makes pickups for the Shiskov guitars)... he's already got a great contender for that JB replacement in his Spring Cleaning Thread. It meets the exact specs I would recommend for replacing your JB and by going with Josh, you'd be keeping it in the HFC family.

Just so you know, I've never met Josh or exchanged even one email with him... I have ZERO connection to Gravelin pickups.

DSC02827_zpspzwqtpqj.jpg

#5: REFURB Bridge. 8.71k, A5. This thing was up previously, decided to hang around, and I revisited it just for kicks and man does it sound nice. Refurbished 50mm bobbins and nickel silver frame, fresh 42 PE, unplated steel, and 4 conductor leads. If you'd prefer the magnet to be an Alnico 2 instead, I'll swap 'em out before I ship. As is, it's a medium hot PAF - slightly aggressive/raunchy mids, full clean lows, great detail and attack on top - good stuff here on the cheap. $85.00

Rio Grande BBQ is a good bridge pup.  For something more PAF, a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary  and the Seth Lovers are nice in both neck/bridge positions.  

And yes absolutely, talk to Josh.  Between the p90 he wound for me and shlabotniks, I'm a believer too. 

21 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

For something more PAF, a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary is a nice in both neck/bridge positions. 

And yes absolutely, talk to Josh.  Between the p90 he wound for me and shlabotniks, I'm a believer too. 

Yes, loved the 36th Annivs in my Standard. Got a pair of Gravelin's to install in my LP, oboyoboyoboyoboyoboy..!

I have a Rio BBQ in mine that's on it's way out in favor of Josh's Cowpie Custom. The Rio has a distinct kind of mid hump that's great for certain things. The Cowpie Custom is perfect for everything. WAAAY better than anything that was ever built by anyone else ever.

Serious.

years ago I had a FM w/ a duncan custom custom, it sounded very nice. i have a rio BBQ in my duotone thats great, but thats a different beast (semi hollow spruce top & wood bridge)

While I'm not yet qualified to comment on Josh's pickups (soon, though, soon), I put a Duncan Pearly Gates set in my Special FM and am very pleased with the results. I opted for the nickel covers so I like the look, too.
DSC_0056.jpg

I love JB`s in most guitars but I play thrash metal so it`s great for that. With that said I have found the most rounded SD pickup to the the Custom 5 or believe it or not the Carvin C22B. I love the Rio BBQ bucker for an all mahogany guitar to bring out some more mids. For high output pickups for that chainsaw rip you face off sound I like the BL L500XL or Gibson 500T or Carvin M22-SD. All very high output. A lot of good pickups out there. I have had some dud JB`s though. Cound have been flawed or just the guitars they were in. My long gone Special FM had a BBQ bucker in it and it was smoking!!

2 hours ago, Dana_V said:

While I'm not yet qualified to comment on Josh's pickups (soon, though, soon), I put a Duncan Pearly Gates set in my Special FM and am very pleased with the results. I opted for the nickel covers so I like the look, too.
DSC_0056.jpg

Gorgeous top!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, greatly appreciated! I can't afford to try them all but I did go to the SD web site and gave a listen to some different p.u.'s. Of those I listened to I liked the Custom 5 the best. BTW I almost thought I was looking in a mirror Dana V. My FM Special is the spittin image of yours but with a flamed top. What a beauty you have!

I have a custom 5 and 59 in my New port, and it is a great combo. The Custom 5 is more like a '59 with higher output and better bass. It isn't as mid-heavy as the JB, so if the "honky" quality is what you didn't like about the JB, this should help solve it.

While there are lots of great boutique level pickups out there, both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have good and varied product lines, so you should be able to find a pickup to suit your needs. Sure it might not be hand made and super fancy pants, but I've never had any complaints from my ears.

Archived