Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who can get me a new Demo gig? SD gig is no more

Hey guys,

My saga with SD is finally over and it ended with a whimper and not a bang.

I'd like to continue to make demos... doesn't have to be for pickups. My specialty was always in effects... SD made me not use any and I think I gave everyone the impression that I enjoy demo-ing pickups without any ambience or effects. I certainly don't mind but I actually love all sorts of gear. I have a house full of vintage effects, keyboards, drum machines and guitar synths. They are all vintage though... I actually don't really own any gear that I could make quick demos of (besides a handful of boutique pedals on my main board).

I mean, the pedal demo thing has never needed any more reviewers... tons of guys actually make a small living doing a demo a day or a few a week... it's a crowded field for sure.

That said, there are pedals that don't get the right treatment and not all pedals get reviewed by Hermans and Thorn... some fall by the wayside.

Amps, guitars or who knows what? I'm pretty versatile musically.

I'm just putting this out there for anyone who has connections. I simply don't have any... I'm left with just cold calling sales and marketing guys which is not really a great way of introducing yourself... I'm wondering if any of you have a friend or a friend of a friend that has an "in" with an established company.

My entire goal with SD was to develop a relationship with an entity who could promote me when I release my first album... well that album is in-the-can and ready to get released...

right at the same time that SD has made it clear that they are moving on without me. So, to rescue my album... I really need somewhere that could cross-promote my as an artist in exchange for my demo work. I'm not looking to get paid or really to make any money... I just really need a place to call home.

Sorry to bother you guys about this, but I am sort of running out of options.

I know a pickup builder, an amp builder, and a pedal maker (the pedal guy desperately needs good demos like what you'd produce).

i\I'll ask them if they are interested. They are small builders though....that said, you never know.

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

I know a pickup builder, an amp builder, and a pedal maker (the pedal guy desperately needs good demos like what you'd produce).

i\I'll ask them if they are interested. They are small builders though....that said, you never know.

Awww that's awfully nice of you to give this some thought... just scratching your head and wondering how to help me solve my problem is more than a little generous of you. :)

My problem is that a lot of you guys know the industry so much better than I do... even suggestions of a company that might be a good fit would be helpful too. The right suggestion could mean that a contact wouldn't be necessary. So suggestions would be helpful too since I just don't know the industry nearly as well as most of the members here, you included.

So suggestions and ideas are JUST AS welcome as anyone who has a contact(s). My mind is running blank on this, any help is appreciated.

I don't have any contacts, but for what's its's worth your videos are killer!  I wish you the best in your endeavors and hope someone can help you out.

You might try contacting companies you have an interest in and forwarding you demos for SD. Those, IMO, are strong work and demonstrate your capabilities as a player, writer and producer. Sometimes you just have to get in people's faces and force a response. You have little to lose and a body of work to support your credentials

arniez

Can you afford to go to the summer NAMM show?  The companies are there to sell gear and sign up new dealers.  At the same time you can make some contacts and personally hand out some demo DVD's of what you can do. 

You can play well enough to show the nuances of a product. 

You can produce professional videos. 

Your videos focus on the product, not the player. 

NAMM is a busy time for everyone with a display booth which means asking for work might get you pushed aside.  On the other hand you get in face time with several potential clients all at once.  If no one else is trying to get demo work from the companies at NAMM you will stand out.  If there are others trying the same thing they will have a hard time proving they can demo a product better or produce videos as slick as yours. 

I think your selling yourself short bro!

As others have said your videos and playing are stellar!

Start making companies come to you. I watch a shit ton of youtube douchbagerie, with players that have nowhere near your playing ability or video effects! And they get noticed! 

It's all about promoting something you really love, do those vids on shit you use, you like, you  really feel passionate about! It will get seen.

(I feel like Yoda. .."there is no try , there is do or do not")🖕

Do it cuz you like to. 

Peace out! 

17 minutes ago, cspot said:

I think your selling yourself short bro!

As others have said your videos and playing are stellar!

Start making companies come to you. I watch a shit ton of youtube douchbagerie, with players that have nowhere near your playing ability or video effects! And they get noticed! 

It's all about promoting something you really love, do those vids on shit you use, you like, you  really feel passionate about! It will get seen.

(I feel like Yoda. .."there is no try , there is do or do not")🖕

Do it cuz you like to. 

Peace out! 

Maybe this is the solution. You could be the next Gearmanndude. Or whoever. With your skills, people will buy what you demo and that logically should lead to work....

20 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I'm not looking to get paid or really to make any money.

That's unfortunate, as you could get paid very well if you'd get up and grab it. Your demo vids are pro quality and you should get paid, absolutely  

Put together a short demo reel of your best bits and a brief bio. Cold-calling is a hard thing to do, but if you send your promo package in the mail and a follow-up email you never know what may turn up. Include links to all your social media, LinkedIn, etc. 

6 minutes ago, RobB said:

That's unfortunate, as you could get paid very well if you'd get up and grab it. Your demo vids are pro quality and you should get paid, absolutely  

Put together a short demo reel of your best bits and a brief bio. Cold-calling is a hard thing to do, but if you send your promo package in the mail and a follow-up email you never know what may turn up. Include links to all your social media, LinkedIn, etc. 

Agreed- your work speaks for itself and is definitely pro quality.

I'm in no doubt this going to become a success story. We all want to see more more Zen-style videos.

Zen:  Did you forfeit the intellectual property of your demo videos to SD? Or are you (legally) free to use them to promote your production/evaluation skills?

I'm asking because I think your demo videos, especially those you did for the JB comparo and the Custom/'59 Hybrid to be as good a vitae as one could hope to assemble. 

The only problem with the narrative that my videos are so good... is that the company that could stand to make the most money off of them, is turning their nose up at them and telling me to fuck off.

I'm pretty sure I am toast. It's not about doing good high quality work and busting your ass in this world... it's all in who you know.

I have little desire to get rejected over and over...my ego is too fragile for that. That's why I am asking for help... I just don't believe in myself enough to handle the rejection.

I was even going to do demos for SD for free just in exchange for promotion... naw, I can go suck it.

My videos got MAD thumbs down... people HATE my fucking videos.

WTF is this pity-party bullshit? If you're so delicate that you can't take "rejection", then delete this thread, get a half-pint of Haagen Daz and put on "Bridget Jones' Diary."

So it didn't work out with SD. So WHAT? No one is gonna hand you anything unless you make yourself get noticed. Even if you were, "hooked up", it wouldn't be that way for long if you weren't capable. That's where YOU have an edge. The "who you know" thing is a cop-out excuse not to try. 

Really, zennie, sack the fuck up and get to work. You're better than this. 

14 minutes ago, zenmindbeginner said:

The only problem with the narrative that my videos are so good... is that the company that could stand to make the most money off of them, is turning their nose up at them and telling me to fuck off.

I'm pretty sure I am toast. It's not about doing good high quality work and busting your ass in this world... it's all in who you know.

I have little desire to get rejected over and over...my ego is too fragile for that. That's why I am asking for help... I just don't believe in myself enough to handle the rejection.

I was even going to do demos for SD for free just in exchange for promotion... naw, I can go suck it.

My videos got MAD thumbs down... people HATE my fucking videos.

My question stands unanswered: "Did you forfeit the intellectual property of your demo videos to SD? Or are you (legally) free to use them to promote your production/evaluation skills?"

ETA:  "It's a simple question, Norm. A baby can answer it.

"hqdefault.jpg

Post of the day: "If you're so delicate that you can't take "rejection", then delete this thread, get a half-pint of Haagen Daz and put on "Bridget Jones' Diary."

There are plenty of reasons SD might want to go another way other than over the quality of your work, which I agree is great.

As for moving on to other things, some guys I work with are all about the P.I.E.

Performance - the quality of the work you do.

Image - your reputation for doing the work.

Exposure - who knows about your work.

You've got the P.  You don't get a lot of I until you get more E, so it's time to work on the Exposure - get the word out!  As you do that, you work on your Image to build confidence that you can deliver product that meets expectations, quality-wise, schedule-wise, etc.

ok, let's kick the man while he is down.   geez,  

Zen,  there are studies that try to understand the reason why some very talented people have such a low opinion of their talent.  It essentially boils down to a simple concept?

There are two types of people.  Those with a talent for a particualr skill and those without.  Of course, there are graduations of levels of talent in both groups.  Ranging from the incredibly talented to the highly proficient in the talented group, and the downright untalented to the moderately proficient people in the lack talent group. 

People with talent understand the skill that it takes to be good at something. They understand the nueances and the abilities that make some one "Good" at something.  Because of that deeper understanding they recognize their personal limitations and often have a lower opinion of their personal abilities.   They understand their personal limitations but don't compare themselves to the marginally talented people.  Rather they compare themselves to the extremely talented people, and by comparison feel they are not talented.  So while they are very talented and may be in the upper echelon of talent for a particular skill, they percive themselves as less skillful than they actually are.

Conversely,  some untalented people, think they are amazing because they truly don't understand what it is to be talented at the skill.  So, they are the guys who have the new guitar, big amp and overpower everyone.  

You, are one of those amazingly talented people who can't see themselves for the talent they really are.  My good friend Neal, whom I play with is the same way.  He has struggled with self confidence of his ability his whole life.   He is also better than probably 80 to 90 percent of the people in this world at playing guitar.  

You are also in that range.  You are also in that range for your video skills.  

Good luck!

Kirk

What about  approaching 2nd (3rd?) tier companies like Guitar Fetish, Guitar Heads, Dragon Fire, or even Rondo. Those places severely need someone like Zen's caliber demonstrating what their products can do. That heroin looking dude from Guitar Fetish has such terrible tone and playing, he actually makes me not want to buy any product he's shilling.

The foot in the door from doing SD demos might carry some weight when demoing their knock off pickups.

8 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

My question stands unanswered: "Did you forfeit the intellectual property of your demo videos to SD? Or are you (legally) free to use them to promote your production/evaluation skills?"

ETA:  "It's a simple question, Norm. A baby can answer it.

"hqdefault.jpg

To be honest it was really low key and casual... no legal stuff. I didn't ever sign anything so I suppose I do own those videos. I don't think the gig was ever all that important to SD... I was never really taken that seriously by the company. They probably don't give a poop what I do with those videos.

Is that Harry Caray?

8 hours ago, RobB said:

WTF is this pity-party bullshit? If you're so delicate that you can't take "rejection", then delete this thread, get a half-pint of Haagen Daz and put on "Bridget Jones' Diary."

So it didn't work out with SD. So WHAT? No one is gonna hand you anything unless you make yourself get noticed. Even if you were, "hooked up", it wouldn't be that way for long if you weren't capable. That's where YOU have an edge. The "who you know" thing is a cop-out excuse not to try. 

Really, zennie, sack the fuck up and get to work. You're better than this. 

This is an understandable reaction... I don't really do positivity all that well. Fear of rejection is just something that some people allow themselves to be eaten alive by.

It certainly is a lack of a survival instinct which is alarming to me.

5 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

There are plenty of reasons SD might want to go another way other than over the quality of your work, which I agree is great.

As for moving on to other things, some guys I work with are all about the P.I.E.

Performance - the quality of the work you do.

Image - your reputation for doing the work.

Exposure - who knows about your work.

You've got the P.  You don't get a lot of I until you get more E, so it's time to work on the Exposure - get the word out!  As you do that, you work on your Image to build confidence that you can deliver product that meets expectations, quality-wise, schedule-wise, etc.

Yeah... the "I" and the "E" are a bitch to get going. I'm not much of a carnival barker or self promoter, I'll see what I can do... it's hard to promote yourself when you have confidence issues I suppose. It's a Catch-22. Good solid assessment though... spot on actually.

5 hours ago, mathman said:

ok, let's kick the man while he is down.   geez,  

Zen,  there are studies that try to understand the reason why some very talented people have such a low opinion of their talent.  It essentially boils down to a simple concept?

There are two types of people.  Those with a talent for a particualr skill and those without.  Of course, there are graduations of levels of talent in both groups.  Ranging from the incredibly talented to the highly proficient in the talented group, and the downright untalented to the moderately proficient people in the lack talent group. 

People with talent understand the skill that it takes to be good at something. They understand the nueances and the abilities that make some one "Good" at something.  Because of that deeper understanding they recognize their personal limitations and often have a lower opinion of their personal abilities.   They understand their personal limitations but don't compare themselves to the marginally talented people.  Rather they compare themselves to the extremely talented people, and by comparison feel they are not talented.  So while they are very talented and may be in the upper echelon of talent for a particular skill, they percive themselves as less skillful than they actually are.

Conversely,  some untalented people, think they are amazing because they truly don't understand what it is to be talented at the skill.  So, they are the guys who have the new guitar, big amp and overpower everyone.  

You, are one of those amazingly talented people who can't see themselves for the talent they really are.  My good friend Neal, whom I play with is the same way.  He has struggled with self confidence of his ability his whole life.   He is also better than probably 80 to 90 percent of the people in this world at playing guitar.  

You are also in that range.  You are also in that range for your video skills.  

Good luck!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk... at this point, my equipment is starting to get old... my iMac is from 2011. My cameras are old crop factor DSLR... I'm using After Effects CS5. I think I am stretching my resources. It was always a gamble... could I get enough of of a ball rolling before my gear needed to be replaced... ugghhh I guess I didn't.

I just see my past of failure after failure as real and tangible. The positivity and hopeful outlook needed to be able to gain the self confidence necessary to handle the rejection seems like almost a fantasy and more like a wish... the failures seem very real but the desperately needed optimism seems like magical thinking. My mind seems a little messed up right now.. I've been unraveling for weeks. Thanks for reaching out.

5 hours ago, FrettyMcgee said:

What about  approaching 2nd (3rd?) tier companies like Guitar Fetish, Guitar Heads, Dragon Fire, or even Rondo. Those places severely need someone like Zen's caliber demonstrating what their products can do. That heroin looking dude from Guitar Fetish has such terrible tone and playing, he actually makes me not want to buy any product he's shilling.

The foot in the door from doing SD demos might carry some weight when demoing their knock off pickups.

Maybe I will be able to send out a bunch of emails before folding up like a card table... the more I send out the better. I actually like GFS as a budget company.

13 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I have little desire to get rejected over and over...my ego is too fragile for that.

Change is the constant of live. Understand and accept that and be a happy man about the SD episode that had provided a wonderful reference in the outerwebs that you can always point to in the search for the next episode. 

The world couldn't shine more for you!

Have you done any reviews of the gear that you have? Building up a youtube following with good reviews would I think definitely help get companies interested in your services.  There are plenty of makers out there that really need good demos. I'm surprised how so many companies have crappy or non existent demo videos.

8 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Thanks Kirk... at this point, my equipment is starting to get old... my iMac is from 2011. My cameras are old crop factor DSLR... I'm using After Effects CS5. I think I am stretching my resources. It was always a gamble... could I get enough of of a ball rolling before my gear needed to be replaced... ugghhh I guess I didn't.

Read this as gentle here, but that also sounds like an excuse to me.  The quality of your videos is still _way better_ than most of the guitar side of youtube. If your gear literally stops working, you'll deal with that when it happens.  You don't need 4k to demo gear.

In the meantime, shoot videos for the gear you have.  Do it piece by piece.  If TGP can have epic threads on the merits of various shim materials for strat neck heels, you can probably produce a video about strap locks and still draw a crowd.

Objectively, your videos are great.  By analogy, it seems like what happened here is that your crazy ex-girlfriend dumped you and you feel like you'll never be worthy of love. Everyone of a certain age has been through that and we get through it.  But you do it by getting back out there and not letting one person's feedback become gospel.

So shoot more videos, release them and just feel good about having done that.  When you're enjoyed that high enough, sit down start an HFC thread to review all the feedback you got into "legit" and "youtube trash".  We all know most of youtube comments are just the worst end of the internet, and if you're fragile, you don't need to be sifting through that crap yourself.  Then you can learn and pivot from that feedback from your target market.

8 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I just see my past of failure after failure as real and tangible. The positivity and hopeful outlook needed to be able to gain the self confidence necessary to handle the rejection seems like almost a fantasy and more like a wish... the failures seem very real but the desperately needed optimism seems like magical thinking. My mind seems a little messed up right now.. I've been unraveling for weeks. Thanks for reaching out.

Do you have someone local you can talk to?  I've definitely had moments like this and I think even a therapist might really help.  Even just being around other people so they can help keep you from sinking into this I-suck-so-bad delusion you've got going on.  It's a very personal thing, but I need a RobB in my daily life to keep me from pity-party territory sometimes.  No man is an island, and all that.

And lastly:  Don't believe everything that you think.

I'm making an assumption that your username didn't just sound cool, so getting back in touch with your inner buddhist might help.    Go back and re-read "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"...  Suzuki Roshi is good stuff.  "Mindfulness in Plain English" is another phenomenal read.  I'm a huge fan of the podcasts from Gil Fronsdal and the other teachers at http://audiodharma.org/.

If you need to chat, reach out via PM.

Archived